Off Topic 2.0

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aeryon, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

Recently the video game trend has been to remake old games into new updated versions of their former selves. If you could choose one franchise to be resurrected into HD, what would it be?

Word on the street is that there is a remake of the old classic game Syndicate in the works. That would have been my first. Second, I would personally love to see the old Quest for Glory series resurrected (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Glory). Great memories playing those games.

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

So very many games! Ugh, I'd have to go through my entire childhood for this. X-COM is near the top, but it'd have to be done better than we've seen from actual attempts so far. Temple of Apshai may top it, and somewhere in there stands Faery Tale Adventure. I'd include Ogre Battle, but that series is actually on-going, and I should probably just try one of the newer ones. Some other good old games that I could stand to play (lots) more include The Horde, Master of Orion, River City Ransom, Marble Madness, and Crystalis. Oh, and Seahorse Hide and Seek.

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Have you guys seen this? http://www.grimrock.net/. It's a remake of Dungeon Master - one of my favourite dungeon crawl games of all time.

4. Sir Knight

I could also bring up Thief, which would be both deserving and thematically-appropriate, but it seems Thief is a special case. In a world where so many people feel that games released this year are the only games worth playing, I keep seeing places (gaming magazines and retailers on the internet) where Thief is still listed among the most popular. It's like how people have been playing StarCraft and X-COM without fail since their release: Thief got it right the first time.

Well, Thief had a lot of problems. X-COM had moreso. And StarCraft finally got a sequel. But in short, I don't think Thief needs a "revival into HD."

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, however, does.

5. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

You know I really loved Ultima 6 and a few games made by Origin based on the same engine: The World of Ultima's Savage Empire and Martian Dreams. I would love to see a remake of those games.

6. Strumiker

Strumiker Mushroom Warrior

Thanks for linking this :) While it's another game in development, it does look like it could be pretty decent for an updated nostalgia trip.

7. Piratecat

Piratecat Blue Manchu

I am delighted to find that Space Pirates and Zombies (SPAZ) feels remarkably like Star Control 2. This makes me happy.

8. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Sir Knight - Did you know that both Jon and I worked on the new XCOM for several years? We've both been off the project for quite a while though so I don't think our efforts will have much to do with the final result.

I don't really know why, but I have a hankering to play an HD remake of the c64 classic Jumpman.

9. EnigmaDude

EnigmaDude Kobold

I'd vote for the King's Quest series from Sierra Online.

10. Sir Knight

Yes, I saw it in one of the interviews that was posted here. Interestingly, I only ever heard about that X-COM project due to people on forums mentioning "that X-COM project." I know almost nothing about it.

I played the original and I enjoyed it. I then played X-COM: Terror From the Deep, and tried to enjoy it (I'm talking months of play), but couldn't overcome the nigh-unto-CMYK graphics and the complete reversal of everything that was fun about combat. I never finished it. I then played the demo of X-COM: Apocalypse, and tried to enjoy it, but couldn't overcome the "exciting" real-time gimmicks that took away from what was actually exciting. I never finished it.

This leaves me with only the original if I want something of its caliber in that kind of turn-based strategy game. Hence I would like a new version of the original.

11. secran

secran Mushroom Warrior

Oh lordy, the hours of frustration those games caused.
    Castle of Dr. Brain remake(though infinitely unlikely) would be a nostalgia bomb for my little brother and I.

12. Sir Knight

Oh? Well, you could always go back to
    as mentioned earlier and say hello to Dr. Cranium. You could also be Antwerped.

13. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Its cheaper, easier, and more profitable to recreate or reuse material from the past to make a quick buck. Old gamers get nostalgia from the past, or they lost their old copy and think its worth buying again or want to see what has changed in their beloved world. New gamers get a cheaper and updated version of a game they havnt played and fall into that trap of "Well they are re-releasing this game in HD! it must be good for them to try to sell it again!"

I dont mind ither way, if the game is good and worth its while (Metal gear HD versions) then they should be updated and brought back. If they flop or dont sell well then the fad will be short lived.

14. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

I just hope the game remake trend doesn't go the way Hollywood has with remaking each and every classic movies and sitcom... all to make a quick buck. With the way things are now, I wouldn't be surprised to see a trailer for a "Mr. Belvedere: The Movie".

Back on topic though, I never played ICO nor Shadow of the Colossus and am really excited to give the new HD editions a try when they come out. They look really gorgeous!

15. Sir Knight

Old news, chum. Old news.

16. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Ya, this is happening as we speak

17. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Being remade as a First Person Shooter. :mad:

18. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

That actually looks pretty cool. It's old-school but shiny at the same time.

19. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

I've been playing Yomi lately:
    http://www.fantasystrike.com/dev/

It's a digital of version of the card game of the same name designed by David Sirlin. Pretty fun.

20. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Bah! Another game to champ at the bit for! :p