Obvious Maneuver doesn't quite do its "draw/don't draw" thing correctly

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Sir Knight, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Obvious Maneuver, being a Trait, should let you draw to replace it after being used. Its flavor text says "When playing the Game Master, don't draw a card to replace this." Unfortunately, the player doesn't draw to replace it either.

Edit: Oh, look. The wrong form of "its" in my subject line. And you can't edit subject lines on this forum for some reason.

2. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

I always thought thats how it was supposed to be, since Gary doesnt really care what cards you have exposed the penalty is basically 1 less card for you. But in multiplayer (havnt tested this) you do draw to replace it, because the penalty is your opponent seeing your hand.

3. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Indeed, when some of the Men At Arms played it in Shieldhaven Prison, they drew another card after exposing their hand. I believe the card means "When playing against the Game Master."

4. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

That would make perfect sense actually i was confused about this myself.

5. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

I thought it was quite... self explanatory !

ha i didnt do it :3 would of been to obvious.

6. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yep, it should probably say "when playing against the Game Master" for the reason you all figured it.

7. Jon

Fixed.

8. Sir Knight

Doggone it, you're right. Then perhaps they should edit the text.

Speaking of which: remember this?
    I've noticed that all such cards, like Minor Heal, still say "may self target," which is the clunkier construction. Not as prone to error as the example in this thread, but still funny-looking.

Yay, going off-topic.

9. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Yes lets get back on topic, did you believe the card meant for when you're playing AS the Game Master ? :p

10. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

There's at least six threads requesting such a feature, but I don't think it's part of the limited beta.

11. Sir Knight

Yes and no. Logically, if this card were handed to real human beings out in the world, one of them would in fact be the Game Master. In the context of Card Hunter, I presumed it was text written to Gary.

(He gets more real by the minute.)

12. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Same actually

13. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

That's right, it's not planned for beta.
    Meanwhile:
    * Press F1
    * Type "boardeditor", without quotes
    * You can't play these, but for now you can at least make them

14. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Thread Necromancy, activate!

*ahem*

If I'm understanding things correctly here, when an NPC (controlled by Gary) plays the card Obvious Maneuver, they reveal their hand and then get to draw another card, yes?

So I was just out leveling up my lowest party and replaying Rescue from Shieldhaven Prison for the umpteenth time when, on the fourth battle, Catacombs, one of the Men at Arms played Obvious Maneuver. However, the Men at Arms never drew a new card to replace it. From the log:

Dougal did in fact reveal Run, Lunging Thrust, and Parry, and then lunged at and stabbed Nanbara, but he never drew a card. After Dougal's move, Parry and Run remained the only cards in the Men at Arms' hand, there was no third unrevealed card.

I'm not wrong in thinking there should have been, am I? Might something have been inadvertently changed with the card behavior in a recent update?

15. Sir Knight

Now that I'm thinking slightly-more-clearly, I believe you are correct. A character is supposed to draw a new card to replace any Trait played, with the single exception noted in this thread. The Man at Arms was ripped off.

16. Jon

OK, will fix this.