November Balance Changes: Priests, Racial Skills, and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flaxative, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Mr. Magnifico

Mr. Magnifico Thaumaturge

2. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Okay so far this is what I have experienced...
    The Soldier block card is feels odd. Only got to test it once, but poof my warrior got a block (in fact it was block) I am wondering if it is random or if it will always grant block? Same thoughts about the attack version.
    The nerf to Dodge makes it a very interesting tech card, but clearly less valuable. Works like surging shield block (or the way Hard to pin down used to) in that it gives you a move on the opponents turn, the free move aspect makes it very interesting. I don't remember if this affected facing or not but I don't think it did. Basically you have the choice to avoid the attack, or reposition but take the hit... at least for melee. For ranged (3+) attacks is where the nerf really hits home, you have a better chance to duck out of LoS (shame you cant see what LoS is for certain) with step 2 (good on most MP maps, on some open maps this is a scuttle) but overall you kinda hope you roll fails so you don't lose it since it is not a block.
    The pulverising change feels good got my attack blocked but it still did damage (although not as much as I would like). Concerned in MP it makes buff or AoA plus pulverising potentially more powerful since you no longer have to do a block check making AoA builds much more potent (if not blocked full power x2, with block reduced x2 AND 1 less block) takes away some of the fear of getting an AoA + Oblit combo blocked.
    Sure Strike Blessing feels good. Good mechanic with duration 1 it is use it or lose it, and it for those wondering it is a single shot you get an unblockable penetrating attack and the attachment goes with it. Slightly ironic is the use I instantly thought of for this is no longer the same since the Pulverising attacks don't benefit as much from being unblockable. But these both make Dodge/Jump Back more valuable since they are NOT a block.
    I equipped plenty of Curse of Fragility but never drew it.

I will try a 1-1-1 build to see what it is like to have my wiz benefit from Mass Frenzy, but with Frenzy + Curse of Fragility I could see damage wizards being really obnoxious and 1-1-1 builds being much more common. I will try a fire wiz, a buffing priest (with some draining elements, not full vamp) and an X-strike type warrior see how versatile I can get.

Beyond testing, I think eliminating Wavering Faith is a mistake. I was just getting interested in this card and while the card disadvantage is a significant draw back you have the choice to wait until this is only card or to pay the cost if the need to force a discard is strong enough. I like Armor of Faith good low level buff. The Bad Luck cone is something that seems out of spec for a priest, but will see how I feel once I test. Lateral thinking could make Human Wizards dominant where you can use the trait cycling to shorten a deck and then poof none of the penalty, but since you have to give up other racials might not be much of an edge. I am anti-cycling I will not be testing this. I really like the new Forward thinking but it is an effect I would be happier to see early not so much later on and I think Dwarves getting parry and nothing happening to Toughness is lame.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  3. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Why not just have Dodge work in its current incarnation, but don't check range after the movement. They get hit but they can still move and keep the card.

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

They create and give vanilla Block and Bludgeon, respectively. I actually just reworded the cards based on feedback similar to yours, and that should be hitting the test server later today. Block, Soldier now reads, for example: "Create a Block card (Block any, 4+) and put it in target's hand."

We can always use more testing on this, but I think if an AoA+Pulverizing Bludgeon runs into a block, it still only deals 6 damage. Pretty sure buffs don't apply to the 6 damage either... but has anyone tested that?

Could you please clarify what you mean? I'm guessing you want it to work like a quarter of a Sparkling Cloth armor (50%, move 1) but I'm not sure I'm understanding you.

5. Stexe

Yeah, I guess my suggestion was like SCA but has the ability to be used for 2 Movement when you want. Could maybe be changed to 2 Free Movement or Move 1 + Set Facing when it procs if it is too weak.

6. wavy

wavy Thaumaturge

I'm very unsure about the logic of cards which still do damage even when they're blocked - after all, surely a block is a binary situation. If they're introduced, they should be as rare as rocking horse droppings - Unstoppable Chop is bad enough, but it doesn't appear on any weapons yet (and maybe it should be nerfed so that it's only a 1-time return), plus it gives you a turn to run away before it can be used again. If I've got a character on 1 HP and manage to block an attack, I'm still dead with these changes.

How about not reducing the damage, but striking yourself if the attack is blocked - that may be a better solution to the problem.

7. Stexe

Having it on only 2 cards (OB and AH) doesn't seem that excessive. It might be interesting to have something like that though. I'd probably prefer it over the damage while blocked, but then again I almost always check for blocks before using one of those (I'm usually risk adverse in playing unless I'm far behind in a match).

8. wavy

wavy Thaumaturge

It may make for some interesting situations - if I have an OB/AH and know my enemy has a block which could kill me, what do I do? If it's an Unreliable Block, then hopefully I'm laughing as I pulverise him/her (except for that bad roll which means I hit myself in the face!) - if it's a Parry then I'd be very wary.

9. Stexe

Yeah, the mechanism is a solid one and could be used -- although I still think "damage if blocked" is a solid one as well (which I think should be used in lower damage attacks to put a slightly more emphasis on keeping armor around if you know the enemy is using it).

Either way, I'm all for reducing the damage on OB (at 17 it could 1-hit an Elf Wizard with no buffs), but this nerf does seem a bit excessive. I'd suspect everyone will be using Bejeweled Shortswords galore.

10. Fry_The_Guy

Fry_The_Guy Lizardman Priest

One more option for dodge would be that if you move out of range the opponent keeps their attack card

11. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Too strong for the attacker. Way too strong. Risk-free Oblit attacking against a Dodge holder (assuming no blocks on him)? No thanks.

12. Stexe

I dunno, it might still be viable. It is an interesting idea that could be explored.

Lord Feleran likes this.
  13. Fry_The_Guy

Fry_The_Guy Lizardman Priest

Think about a version of the current dodge which always triggered, but the attacker kept the card if you moved out of range. You could make a deck with a lot of step attacks and dodges; use step attacks to hit them enemy, and when the attempt to hit you dodge triggers and you run away. In a 1v1 scenario, I do not care how many Oblits your warrior has, as long as I can always turn to face him after dodging he will not be able to hit me.

14. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

I was thinking about dodge being a 5+, but I like the "attacker keeping their attack card" idea.

It could also work like altruism where it's a 4+, but discards on a 4.

I agree with the general consensus that it's too weak now though.

Lord Feleran and Sir Veza like this.
  15. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Not sure what the objection to the blocked damage is... it makes sense in the sense of this attack is so overwhelming even blocking it hurts you. As opposed to Sure Strike Blessing, which can only be stopped by a dodge or jump back.

16. Stexe

Always triggered would be INSANE for the exact reasons you mentioned (Step + Range attacks).

17. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Dodge is a Bronze card... it should not be as strong as it is. I know a LOT of people like it since it can add a lot of defense with very little card commitment but it doesn't make sense for it to be so valuable... but with the nerf as it stands perhaps making it only a 3+ roll makes sense. Personally I am VERY happy to see the keep taken away.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Just FYI, that's not actually the majority opinion right now. A few are saying it in this thread but overwhelmingly from reports Dodge is fine, for whatever that's worth—just thought you (and others) might like to know.

To be fair it's a weird card that's actually valued at silver on shields (hence Shield of Ultimate Dodging being level 18). Honestly we could probably just change that, and then it would always be a bronze card, and then the fact that it compares to favorably to other bronze cards would maybe placate everyone ;)

The Final Doorman likes this.
  19. The Final Doorman

The Final Doorman Orc Soldier

I actually really like this idea. There's no reason the new dodge should be treated as a silver card on shields.

If dodge were treated as bronze on shields, Backflip Buckler, Shield Of Ultimate Dodging, and Jannivol's Shield would change from major to minor power tokens. Quinn's Buckler would become tokenless. I think this would be balanced and would help keep those shields competitive.

20. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I haven't tested this with the new changes, but under the old rules AoA won't trigger on blocked attacks.