Non-Burst Builds

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by gulo gulo, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Thanks.

If you try something like this you might want to try ManMelter. I at least will try it for some maps for speed farming.

Thanks, I overlooked the Laser Blunderbuss. But it is anyway worse than the other both. :p

gulo gulo likes this.
  2. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

I had a non-Burst wizard team back in the day. I wanted to do the most devastating thing I could do with a team of wizards with targeted attacks, which was Obliterating Spark at the time, so I could focus fire on one poor sap at a time. I shoved the maximum amount onto all 3 wizards and used Whirlwinds to solve the line of sight problem. I gave up on it after too many unfavorable Whirlwinds, though the "nerf" actually makes Whirwinds way less of a liability now. That and shorter Nimble Strikes I guess. I also learned the hard way that Obliterating Spark and Sensate's Ring/Runestone don't mix. #WWtooOP2015

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Han Lee and gulo gulo like this.
  3. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Another reason, why the Searing Pain is good. Beeing able to play all the Squeamish is huge advantage, because it increase the chances of drawing a Fireball by miles. And Runestone is easily one of the best arcane items available with adding two great cards and no weak card to your deck.

Magic Elves likes this.
  4. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

gulo gulo likes this.
  5. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Ditch Lukes Iron hand for asmods chain and spend the freed token on a better human skill.

gulo gulo likes this.
  6. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

The same is true for the Rod Of Pulver Pree, which should be a chain. But who has that many? I still have none of them.

gulo gulo likes this.
  7. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

I've seen @gulo gulo use those Retreats pretty impressively. It certainly took me by surprise when I thought I'd finally cornered one of his wizards. Not that'd I'd choose to use Untrained Flexibility myself but I definitely respect it.

8. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Got 4 chains, buahahahaa...

I had my fair share of experience with retreat, its powerful but sadly once again even more so in an offensive context... My trail of thoughts is that if gulo CAN enter the minor token region, there might be more impactful skills, something worth downgrading from 7 to 6 telekinesis. And stone spikes is far less of a dead card then slowed.

gulo gulo likes this.
  9. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

And an uncounterable escape card for anyone on your team can be far better than a Telekinesis. You can bait warriors into using up all their moves to finally clobber your wizard that's out of cards and BAM, they sneak out the back and live to see another day. It was a long time ago but I think that's exactly what happened in our match.

gulo gulo likes this.
  10. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I only have one chain, so there's not much to change there. And retreat is often able to keep one or two wizards alive for another round, which may be all they need.

I'm working on 2 Supercool wizards + 1x Manmelter with some Illusory Barrier currently, to some promising results. I'll probably post something soon for review.

Sir Veza likes this.
  11. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

No worries. Forget I brought it up.

12. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

gulo gulo likes us all. :)

Another take could be Overloaded Staff with Leaderships. Not sure if it is possible to get a consistent build with that, but if there is a staff which synergies with Leadership, than it has to be this one.

Sir Veza and gulo gulo like this.
  13. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

Could try a triple cooling laser build and advanced battlefield training? Throw extra cooling attacks or boosts to the wizard with LOS and a decent hand(or not so decent). Would be a way one turn kill an opponent out of moves.

I guess if you're going with human wizards you're probably better off with leadership or forward thinking to increase your single turn damage potential.

Sir Veza, billiska and gulo gulo like this.
  14. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

still a fun idea for multi-mage teams. You often end up in situations when one has a good shot and the others don't. I paired BT and punishing bolt with nice results to overcome the bolts short range. Also BT has the minor upside of being a end of the round cantrip option.

Sir Veza and gulo gulo like this.
  15. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Well, this has firmly dropped me from the high 1400s to the high 1300s, so I'd say....NOT VIABLE

j. chastain, the tempest
    Level 17 Human Wizard

t. swift, the destroyer
    Level 17 Human Wizard

j. lawrence, the virtuous
    Level 17 Human Wizard

16. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Just a quick update: after about 1 week of a 3-wizard, non-burst build (different than the one posted, but much more potent), I am ~ -250 elo. I personally did not find 6x Supercooled Lasers effective. I did find 2x wizard with 5 obliterating sparks each plus 1 illusory barrier wizard a little better, but neither led to reliable, long-lasting success.

Only 46 more burst-free days left.

40c_rudy likes this.
  17. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Personally I prefer 3 wizards running 5 obliterating sparks. Other than vs a certain soularmadyl, it has worked wonders for me at 1600+. I would use a phantom pain, ring of appropriation, cinnabar ring, and asmods on each wizard to have a decent amount of control and armor removal. But alas, I lack all the phantom pains and 2 asmods to make this a reality.

18. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I tried 3x wizards set up with 5 obliterating sparks each; it was worse than 2. I needed walls for all the bursts. Only 1 asmods and 2 phantom pains, so your thoughts are not a viable option for me as well. That being said you're setting yourself up for fireballs in round 1 or 2 frying you if you don't pull one of those 6 illusory barriers. That might not even be enough, depending on placement.

19. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

A large part of Cooling Laser's appeal is that it boosts the damage done by cone of cold substantially (which also works well with smoke). I don't think it's all that good for raw damage versus quality. Hylithia's Wand is a nice item to play along with it. I don't see any reason to have more than one cold wizard though (if one has enough cold attacks). I found a control wizard (with some knives) worked well along with a cold wizard. This was a while back though, not on current rotation.

20. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

One of my earliest builds consisted of wizards packed with Stormstaffs and Mighty Sparkping Staffs with tokens spent on the Arcane Skill slot to increase the number of high-damage attacks and Spark Generators. It worked pretty well, actually! The idea was: if you're fast enough to get to me, I can probably blow your face up with all the straight-up damage. If you're not, I probably have enough control to push you back, or chip you away. It was good enough that with a nice opening draw you can burst down a dwarven mage in the first turn. I played this back when I sucked strategy, though; I wonder how effective it is now.

Ironically, Obliterating Spark doesn't fit well in a build that focuses primarily on direct damage, I think. It just degrades the quality of your other direct damage attacks on the same staff. Think about it - Mighty Spark is as good as an Obliterating Spark if you're running Spark Generator, but it costs less. If a staff with 4 Mighty Spark cards and 2 regular Spark cards existed, I would go for it, maybe even over Deadly, Deadly Staff (which I have a copy of now :D ).