New player impression on high level/rarity items

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by SuperBidi, Oct 13, 2014.

1. SuperBidi

SuperBidi Kobold

Hi everyone,

I'm quite a new player (I've finished the campaign, and started quests and MP) and there is one thing that annoys me in items: The higher they get in rarity and levels and the simpler they are.
    For example, you can find quite many 18th level rare/epic/legendary items with 3/6 times the same card. You rarely have handicaps on good cards. And high level attacks are just low level attacks with bigger numbers.

I really find that to be inconsistent with normal learning curve. I would expect low level cards to be easy to use ones, with the ability to create simple builds (like a chop fighter, a lightning wizard) in a few common/uncommon cards and high level/rarity cards to be hard to use, with the need to adapt to your hand to get the best of them.

So, this is a bit of a suggestion and of course a discussion (as we are all here for that). If I would have designed high level/rarity items, I would have gone for:
    - More complicated cards. For example, the obliterating bludgeon is uninteresting. Reducing it to 13 damage but adding 6 damage or a stun if you attack the enemy from the back would make it far more interesting to play and fight.
    - Many different cards. If you can have 18 times the same card in your deck, you just reduce randomness to 0. If you have multiple different cards, you have to adapt to them every turn, and you can choose the card you discard depending on enemy team.
    - Using more handicap cards. As I don't see much handicaps in level 18 epic/legendary items, and this is a part of the game, and one of the hardest to master. I would prefer legendary items to have good cards and nasty handicaps. So, you don't only choose them because they do damage, but also because the handicap is not too big for your character. And a well managed handicap trait is a deckcycler, so, an advantage. Turning drawbacks to advantages is what does a good player.

That would make victories more beautiful when you fight a low level player. I mean, when I fight someone with good cards currently, the guy just show me cards with very high values in great number. So, I don't feel that his victory is legitimate. If I would fight an enemy with cards with the same values as mine, but increased effects depending on the situation, I would think that I need to know these cards to be able to fight better. So, instead of feeling that the game is unfair, I feel that the game is complicated.
    It would also reduce the scissor, paper, rock effect, as higher level decks would tend to be versatile, because of the number of different cards on each epic/legendary items. As it is harder to master a versatile deck than a specialized one, difficulty will increase with the experience of the player. And, also, playing specialized decks are often generating uninteresting fights, as one deck can be a nemesis for the other one. Having more versatile decks at high level would make victories more consistent.

So, I let you give your point of view as I've spoken already too much.

2. Fifjunior7

Fifjunior7 Hydra

I feel like the main problem is that certain races are too powerful, for example, I hate dwarf wizards! The slow speedof dwarves is easily overcome by team run, dash team, walk team, ect... Meanwhile elf wizards just are so bad that you can't even use em' in mp, which is unfortunate. One obliterating bludgeon and poof, your elves are almost gone. (Infact, one OB instakills an elf wizard.) I feel like that's kinda bs. An attack, no buffs no nothin' , instakilling a character, something's not right. I'm ok with almighty hack, cuz it's super rare, but OB is just waaayyy too common round these parts. Get 3 infused greatclubs or collosal hammer, it's not cool, it's repetitive, and boring.

Sorry fer' my super long rant, as on your points, I personally don't have any problems with legendaries and the way they are, though that's just my humble opinion. :)

3. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

When running an elf wizard, you shouldn't let a warrior hit you from melee range :) Although I wouldn't run an elf wiz either.

I couldn't really understand OP's concerns. Lvl 18 epic/legendary weapons can also have different cards. Like Bohemian Ear Spoon or Master's Battleaxe. lvl 18 epic/leg. weapons can also have drawback cards: Bloodchopper, Reaper's Scythe.
    You probably meant that items having 6 x some card are always legendary. Idk, I don't have a problem with that.
    About the cards having too "simple" effects: this is intended and I really like it. Moving, attacking, blocking - nothing's complicated. Almost like in a regular board game :)

4. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

The reason many of the Legendary items have all of the same card is because they bring consistency. Consistency makes a deck easier to predict and plan your moves around. So that kind of item needs to be rarer and in fact in this game usually the rarest.

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Actually, the rarity formula raises the rarity of items that have all cards the same; this is why Hammer Of Bashing is Rare even though all its cards are Common. This is one of the things I strongly disagree with.

Also, the reason you don't see many handicaps on high level items is because black quality cards lower the item's level by 3 (1.5 for six card items).

6. SuperBidi

SuperBidi Kobold

That's exactly my point: It makes a deck easier. When, as a player, I would expect the game to be harder for end game content.
    And the fact that it should add to the rarity is not true. If you have consistent commons and inconsistent legendaries, you'll still continue to use legendaries, unless you want to fight only with chops and powerful sparks.

7. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

First of all, the end game content (level 18 adventures) and the treasure hunts ARE harder. I expect that building a deck consisting of unfocused Legendary items and then playing the level 18 adventures would be an exercise in frustration. While consistent common items would make them easier to play.

Whether or not consistency SHOULD raise rarity is up for debate, but it IS that way right now. I submit it adds to the rarity because it makes adventures easier to play, not because it makes a deck easier to build.

You can't knock consistent common items. They are regularly used and valued. Bejeweled Shortsword being the easiest example.

8. SuperBidi

SuperBidi Kobold

I don't understand your point. In PvE, building a deck of consistent items is more frustrating than building a deck of inconsistent items. I far prefer to exert my intelligence and capacity of adaptation than my patience and resistance to boredom. I must admit, farming is clearly not something I like.

9. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

I think I misunderstood you earlier. Are you saying you want the deck building aspect of CH to be harder at end game? If so, my apologies for starting a disjointed discussion. I thought you were talking about difficult adventures and how those are effected by consistent items.