New player; How important is the SP party?

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by EmptyBucket, Jul 14, 2015.

1. EmptyBucket

EmptyBucket Kobold

So I'm new to the game and I'm about to start playing the SP portion, but before I got started I figured I might as well ask a question that's on my mind. How important is your starting party? Or in other words is there any way to screw up by picking a certain party composition?

I was thinking of going Human Warrior, Elf Wizard, and Dwarf Priest. Another consideration would be swapping the classes of Human and Dwarf to end up with Priest, Wizard, and Warrior respectively.

2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

You can buy additional chars for 10 gold each, no limit to how many total you can own (inactive chars are on a clipboard to the left of your active party).

3. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Yeah, you can buy and level up additional characters to play around eg. 3 wizards / 2 warrioros + 1 priests / whatever for different adventures / playthroughs.

That said, most think that using a dwarf wizard is easiest, because that race has the highest HP and wizards don't usually need the mobility elves have.

4. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Elves are probably the hardest to use at first, since they have lower hp and its easy to charge in with their dash and get owned.

Either humans or dwarves are good starting party, get a mixture of one of each class so u can appreciate what each offers.

I recommend human warrior human priest dwarf wiz.

But don't worry too much about which to pick first, as you will likely be doing the campaign again with different class/race combos ;)

5. Accent

Accent Hydra

Starting party is really not a big deal -- you can add/change characters at any time for relatively cheaply, and your starting party does not necessarily affect your MP party.

I beat the campaign (up through the EttSC expansion) with the exact party you mentioned.

6. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I wouldn't say relatively cheaply but rather at a very cheap price we are talking less than the cost of an uncommon which is 25 but rather the cost is the same as 2 commons

7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I can't believe the replies got this far with no one saying elf wizards area bad idea.
    @EmptyBucket - Elf Wizards are a bad idea!
    I've used them for self-imposed challenges, but they're just too squishy for the normal campaign.
    - Elf Clerics make primo vamps (once you get vamp items), but they're better at mid to high levels.
    - Elf Warriors rock, but again, they do better at mid to high levels.
    Don't confuse CardHunter with AD&D, Pathfinder, etc. If you're new to this type of hybrid game, Dorfs and Umans are the most forgiving.
    If, on the other hand, you're a hardcore gamer - go with whatever you like and you'll be able to make it stick.
    Good Hunting!

Stexe likes this.
  8. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

If you play long enough, you'll end up with three of every class/race combo possible. You need them anyway for the various quests to get those sweet sweet reward chests.

If I had to pick a single 1/1/1 party to go through SP with no more characters allowed, I'd choose elf warrior / dwarf priest / dwarf mage. If you go all-dwarf, you'll get hurt on the modules with fast-moving ranged mobs.

9. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I went through the whole thing with Human War/ Human Wiz/ Dwarf Priest.
    There are no wrong answers, but I would say overall Elf Wiz are a lil weak and D-Wiz are a lil OP. That said the most important thing, which you will learn on your own... flexibility. You will be getting new and better stuff as you go along, but sometime the best cards in a vacuum are not the best for a particular level (e.g. Only Bones armor for Skeletons makes bludgeon attacks more valuable for melee). When looking at items the item's level is often as or more important than the rarity. Some Legendary items are very avoidable and some common or uncommon items are the best in the game.

Bandreus likes this.
  10. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

I went through it with Dwarf Warrior, Human Priest, Human Wizard. At the end of the day, elves are a little bit squishy and the extra movement doesn't quite compensate, especially with wizards. Dwarves are tough but slow, but as you advance you can compensate a bit with mobility items.

11. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

On my first playthrough I went all up to the Black Plume Mountain with 2x Dwarf Warrior + 1x Dwarf Wizard.