New arena maps

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Grezko, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Grezko

Grezko Kobold

Is there ANYWHERE where i can read some info on how long these new maps are going to stay - is it a weekend event only, is ti for good or ANYTHING about them...

@ creators of the game - how about an easily foundable anouncement ...

As for the new maps - who ate the box of paints and vomited afterwards .... Whoever designed them needs to go to a class about color management in game/website design...

2. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

3. Grezko

Grezko Kobold

i guess this is me stopping playing for a while then ...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Xayrn likes this.
  4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

They're supposed to celebrate the new expansion adventures, but I do agree they are hard on the eyes.

Xayrn likes this.
  5. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

You can't blame them for not thinking of needing to going out of the way to announce something that is regular to the game process :)
    It's easy to get answers like this by simply asking in the in-game chat, and we could have told you that pvp map cycling was a regular thing: in fact, the topic came up several times in conversation over the past few days. ;)
    That being said, they are a bit skimpy on announcements at times, so while I'll disagree with your precise point, I'll acknowledge the sentiment.

I've seen a lot of people complaining about the maps in game chat, actually, but for obvious reasons, haven't seen them myself. Since I don't want to fiddle through the assets and figure out what maps to load, I'd appreciate a screenshot if someone has one.

Though given that some atypical-perception people have already posted how it hurts them to view the maps, I may end up regretting that request.

kustaa likes this.
  6. Pawndawan

Here are the screenshots. I agree that especially the green is a bit hard on the eyes and makes checking LoS a bit difficult.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Sadly, even though these maps were clearly inspired by my stunning asethetic, they aren't quite as easy on the eyes.

8. SirSrsly

SirSrsly Lizardman Priest

These maps should come with 3D glasses

Bandreus likes this.
  9. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Ow. Even though those are far less bad that I expected from the stories, I have to squint to even be able to look at them enough to make out the maps, so they're pretty bad.

Yeah, that.. needs some editing.

10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Agree. I even mentioned this during the playtest (specifically the second map of Cyber Tyrant).

11. Grezko

Grezko Kobold

There are some inherent disbalance in the maps as well that is not thought of.

The Cyber arena (1st map) favors mages - easy line of sight to all the victory locations from spawn
    The Cyber city (2nd map) favors warriors - getting mages into position where they have line of sigh and have a distance is almost impossilbe
    The Cyber dojo (3rd map) is again a bit too open but definitely better than then first - that one i am ok with (except the color theme of course but that is valid for all the maps)
    The Cyber temple (4th map ) - having 4 victory squares next to each other in that configuration is a bit ... If warrior spaws in close location it becomes a matter of luck if you get a second move card in order to get into the victory points square and from there .... So this map is waaaaay too rng reliant.

12. Pawndawan

You can mostly blame players that were active on the forums during May. ;) At least mage vs. warrior balance seems to vary from map to map.

13. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

The thing you need too keep in mind with balance of maps is: the balance of the map pool (i.e. the set of maps in a given rotation) > the balance of each individual map.

It's not as bad when you have a map favoring wizards + a map favoring warriors in the same rotation, as players do not get to pick which map they'll be fighting on. If the pool is balanced, everything sorta balances out, and players are not too encouraged into going for too focused builds.

On the other hand, if each map would strictly need to be 100% balanced for each class, then we would have waaaay less variety in the kind of maps available for MP. I.e. pools would prob be balanced, but also extremely boring.

14. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I like it but the gimmicky aspect of the reskinning gets old fast. The "hard on the eyes" aspect however doesn't fade.

15. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

For the sake of everyone's eyesight, I'd suggest dimming the blinding green terrain with shadow doodads to ease the strain a bit and make line-of-sight clearer. Here's an example of Cyberspace Temple with this done:
    DimVR.jpg

Attached Files:

kustaa, Maniafig, MathuranF and 6 others like this.
  16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Nice, that is much better imo!

17. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Wow, I was scared when I loaded this with that popping up unspoiler tagged, but once I turned my swiftly-flinched eyes back, I realized, hey, that's just fine.

Nicely done :)

That blue still hurts after a bit, though :/

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Good stopgap Xayrn. I'll try to get that in ASAP.

kustaa, Maniafig, Robauke and 2 others like this.
  19. Grezko

Grezko Kobold

dimming the blue a bit or changing it alltogether and i think it will become bearable

DunDunDun likes this.