My apologies if you're 1700+ and I instaquit on you.

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by mikey76500, Jan 13, 2017.

1. taco1

taco1 Kobold

I think that anyone can beat anyone else.

For me, I am ranked 1297. I can beat people higher than me sometimes. I purposely do not let my library be a reason why I win a game if I can avoid it. I finally hit my goal of 1k chests so now I can stop.

I know I am never going to hit 1900+ or whatever ungodly number that other people have, but I try to learn from each match. Sometimes if I am low on time I will forfeit against the better players because I just need an easier match to get 3rd in a league. It doesn't happen too often. Here is my reason why I can take a break now =) I just need one more game with rinco and I can stop =)

I am the opposite of you though - I only play league because you get bonus chests, I don't see the point in ranked (well if people forfeit to me if I have a high rating that would be nice =)

upload_2017-1-24_22-0-52.png

vitreo84, 40c_rudy, CT5 and 2 others like this.
  2. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Have fun opening those chests, I suggest grabbing some popcorn, a coke and putting on some movie in the background. :)

ParodyKnaveBob and Macizo like this.
  3. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

May you give some to poor people like me? :p

jajaja, my god so many chest!

4. mikey76500

mikey76500 Hydra

@Macizo:
    Well, I'm 1373, now, but, same points apply. There's no plan to make after one of your team just gets finished taking 28 damage in one swift move. There's no plan to make when you're getting Fireball-burrffffphphphphpbbbbted into oblivion. There's no plan to make when nothing procs for you, even when the roll of nearly every card you have is in your favor.

Sometimes, plans fall apart. In my case, it's almost always, so, I just play without a set plan. It always seems to work out better that way, anyhow.

@taco1: Well, no one PURPOSELY lets their item library become a factor, friend. Kinda obvious. :p
    Joking aside though, chests, regardless of what's guaranteed to be in it, have a tendency to suck for me. HARD. The vast majority of my items have been bought in Shops, which require my gold. While spending 50 gold on 3 chests might sound yummy to most, someone as unlucky as I am knows much better; the guarantee of knowing exactly what I'm about to spend 100 [or sometimes 500] gold on is always much better than the above average chance that I won't even make a return investment on the 50 gold I just burned for a bunch of Rares that I either already have max usable of, or wouldn't normally touch with a 10-foot pole. It's kind of an easy decision for me, really.

Some are unluckier than others. That's just as much of a fact as how some are luckier than others. I'm making do with it the best ways I know how.

5. taco1

taco1 Kobold

I'm not opening those chests. I didn't need them before, I will be fine without them even now (especially if I am going to take a break)

I don't buy much stuff ever, I try to make due with whatever items that I do have.

I just need to find one old friend to play against one more time...

6. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

So theeeennnn........ Why?

-- EDIT --

All right, um, initial reaction out of the way. Now a little more reply...

(Sorry, didn't realize this was Mikey's thread about another topic anyway. But now that I'm here already...)

"I try to make due with whatever items that I do have" doesn't really jell with not opening those chests. You actually own over 12,500 more i-- no, sorry, that's not emphasized enough... OVER 12,500 MORE ITEMS than your inventory currently shows. ~blink, blink~ $:^ |

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  7. Vacuity

Vacuity Ogre

Slightly OT, but one thing that came up was how leagues are "infested" with the very top-ranked players. It's been discussed elsewhere before, but I really feel it bears repeating; the leagues would really benefit from rewarding participation.

If I play four games and end up pitched against super-high ranked players every time (which is not unusual), I'm going to lose all four. Quick draw, Monkey Magic, whatever, it's four losses. I put all that time and effort in, and all I get is "maybe you learnt something." Yes, maybe I did, but that's a pretty crummy return on my time. Let's be honest, I'm likely to learn more, and have a lot more fun, playing against someone nearer my own (low) level, as well as more likely to actually get a win, but that doesn't happen because there's no reward for it.

This is a self-reinforcing negative cycle; low- and mid- ranked players can't win, so they don't play, so they don't participate, so when one of them does play, they can't win because there's no one else at their level. It goes on and on, round and round. It also limits the playerbase of the game, which in turn limits the money BM can make.

Rewarding participation in some way would work wonders. Reward me for taking some VPs in all my losses. If I can get lifted off fifth place for snaffling a handful of VPs, then I will fight for those VPs. As it is, I get nothing but frustration, which is not conducive to learning. Reward me for participating, reward me for managing to achieve something and I'll try my best. And maybe one day I'll actually succeed in winning one of those massively uneven matches. But if players can get rewarded for winning VPs, a lot more players will likely participate, which means I'll have many more fun matches playing league, as will everyone else. That's good for me, good for all the players, and good for BM.

8. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

Losing in QD or monkey magic to a high elo player its because skill that factor equip its less inportant. When i was a 1200 player i love QD there i could win games vs high elo players.

Dark Brightness likes this.
  9. BlackVoidDeath

QD and most Fixed deck leagues dont count much on skill, its all in the luck of what you draw - lets say for example you draw Fright, Fumble and Trip in QD on a warrior... you know you are screwed.

wereviper and seth arue like this.
  10. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

Well thats unlikely but could happen, but the same is true for your opponent, so still "balanced".

Edit: yesterday i won with frigth on my warrior (that i miss pick when reloging)

11. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

I actually really like this as a suggestion, if you get victory points in games that you lose it takes you out of last place in the league ranking and gives the chance to get more/better chests

12. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

13. mikey76500

mikey76500 Hydra

@ParodyKnaveBob: But, my friend, you forgot the part where Common items are common and Epic/Legendary items AREN'T common. You know what's even less common than a Legendary item? A Legendary item that doesn't reek of Epic. Sure, 12,500 items is a lot, but, not enough to make any noticeable guarantees. The total number of actually obtainable items is well over 2,000, and only 784 are either Epic or Legendary. Here, see for yourself. [4 = AI, "5" = CM]
    And that's BEFORE you throw Treasures into that pot, which brings the number up another 73. Add all that in with the knowledge that Commons are common, and Legendaries AREN'T common, and you can't realistically blame me for thinking that burning gold that miiiight be better saved for a Rare/Epic that I know for a fact won't suck is a bad investment. :p

@Vacuity: You wanna know the really funny part about your [very good] post? Back in July 2016, the single GREATEST treasure chest I ever opened was a chest I got for beating the 2nd ranked match of the day. I didn't pay a penny for that chest, either. Pros highly recommend AGAINST buying Magnificent Chests from shops for a reason--they're luck. Pure and simple. Sure, there's a guaranteed Rare+, but, it's still luck. *I* loathe luck. With a passion. So, you can imagine the look on my face when people STILL tell me "I don't even play League, I just pay the gold for the chests". Congrats. You're burning 50 gold on 12 items that THE GAME will almost always decide are sub-par. Thanks, but, no thanks.

@BlackVoidDeath, @Macizo, @mckeen and @Pawndawan: Heh. Circle of life is complete. Your comments bring me back to the subject of the thread in the 1st place; the only possible way that League could be enjoyable was if ranking mattered. Period. If 1700s fought other 1700s. If 1000s fought 1000s. If 1400s fought 1400s. Nothing more or less than that. Again, a difference of 250 or less would be understandable, but, I'll never understand the reasoning for forcing matches with 1700's and 1000's. You couldn't PAY me to understand why that's a thing, because, really, it shouldn't be [unless of course, either an AI is involved, or it's a Casual match].

1700's are 1700's for a reason. Those of us that don't have the experience to even get NEAR to 1700 [yet, at least] shouldn't be matched up against them in any capacity unless it's by will.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  14. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I still think that even if you always sell everything you get from unplayed league you on average at least break even. I find don't think leagues are as luck dependent as they say it is. Introducing ranking to leagues would definitely cost something, and I don't know what the best implementation of it either. Simply combining leagues with ranked would be bad because then QD would affect your regular rating, and separating by category would still make some leagues give you a higher rating then you are supposed to be for the category.

15. mikey76500

mikey76500 Hydra

@timeracers: Even if each of the 3 chests you get contain 2 Rares and 2 Uncommons that you already have max usable of, you still end up 8 gold short. Still a bad investment unless I get an Epic/Legendary that I can actually USE.
    Also, I never said anything about changing how League doesn't affect ranking. I just said that 1700's shouldn't be facing 1000's. That's something I think the vast majority of us can agree on.

16. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Error invalid chests contents. Chest must contain at least and at most 5 items, 1 rare+ and 4 common+. If each chest contains 2 rares, 2 uncommons, 1 common then the return on 3 is 45 gold which is 5 gold shy, but if the contain say 1 epic and 4 commons each then the return on 3 changes to 72 gold which is 22 gold surplus.

wereviper likes this.
  17. BlackVoidDeath

The minimum gold from 3 gold chests is 27, not quite sure where you are getting your results from timeracers.
    Though it usually turns out to be around 40 gold for me - which is 10 gold off the entry fee for 5th place, and I with around 96-8% max usable (not counting CM items) still enter the leagues even if I dont play.
    So stop complaining mikey because I doubt all of your games are vs 1700 and you would get your entry fee from the chests + excess.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  18. mikey76500

mikey76500 Hydra

@BlackVoidDeath: Not ALL, but, lately, my win ratio has been brought down to <50% thanks in part to the players that matchmaking has been putting me against.

It's not such a massive stretch of imagination to think that my luck will be worse playing Leagues, especially since 1700's, on average, play Leagues more than they play Ranked.

.....I didn't make this thread for nothing. -_-

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  19. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

You never get treasures from league (or purchased) chests.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  20. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Are you talking about my question to @taco1 ("Why?") and my comment to the same person that make-due-with-items-I-own conflicts with the 12,500+ items that person owns but won't use? If so, let's talk about that then.

1. The 1,012 Epic Chests guarantee 2,024 epic (or legendary) items.
    2. The 1,550 Magnificent Chests guarantee 1,550 rare (or higher) items.
    3. The remaining 9,236 items start at common and go up. What's the upgrade chance people have estimated? ~looks around~ Okay, I'm gonna wildly summarize and say about 1/5 chance for anything to upgrade. That's about 15 legendaries, 60 epics, 295 rares, 1,475 uncommons, and 7,390 commons.
    4. For that matter, applying that 1/5 summarized estimate to the guaranteed higher rarities, that's about 60 more legendaries and 250 more epics from those Magnificent Chests and about 400 more legendaries from the Epic Chests.

With 12,500+ more items, 2,000+ of those guaranteed epics+, epics and legendaries become a lot more populous. Accounting for all of it, about 480 legendaries and 1,930 epics. (Btw, Bejeweled Shortsword and Brutal Flail exist. Stolen Torch does, too, but it isn't common I must admit.) Pretty noticeable guarantees.

@Kalin beat me to it. That horde of 12,500+ items -- owned by another player, wasn't even talking about you -- will contain zero treasures. As for you, sure, still, you won't get treasures from league chests -- only matches won, whether by PvP or adventures. Not that taco's item horde (as I said in that post above) even really has anything to do with your original topic...

Pro CH players?

Does @CT5 even monetize his Twitch/YouTube videos? $:^ b

That link shows skewed stats. In all those recorded matches, you're not in a guild; therefore, it shows no match where you played against a fellow non-guild player. However, now that I'm done addressing the items-horded-but-not-used-by-a-totally-different-player issue, I return to your continuation of the main topic...

Aug. 9, 2016, 3:50 p.m. #neverforget $E^ J