MP Builds

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Lance, May 26, 2013.

1. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

I've decided to take a moment and share my current MP build. I intend to add additional builds as time allows. I will share a bit about why and how they function as an individual deck, as well as a party member.

Balanced Human Warrior:
    Bejeweled Shortsword
    Rageblood Dagger
    Blocking Mace
    Weakling's Helm
    Dueler's Buckler
    Gauntlets Of The Giant
    Chestnut Boots
    Superb Tactics
    Novice Impaling

This build emphasizes consistency in draw, and unlike most warriors does not relay on buffing. Warriors require close proximity to dish out high damage values. To help insure this proximity is achieved this warrior will need to utilize step cards, and in case of encumber, team member push and slide. Armor can be penetrated, shredded, and does not prevent attachments (unless that armor is Arrogant). So, rather than relay on armor, a healthy number of blocks is used. The most damaging cards are melee attacks. So, Parry is a must, as are other low roll requirement (1 or 2) armor and blocks for reducing the need for "luck." There are also a few unique (1 copy in the deck) cards that add variety and versatility.

Solid Stormy Dwarf Wizard:
    Overloaded Staff
    Frosty Staff
    Sensate's Ring
    Sensate's Ring
    Hylithia's Wand
    Waenog's White Chain
    Purple Cloak
    Salazar's Sandals
    Solid Rock
    Electroporter Novice

Wizards have the most versatility of any class, and none so much as, a Solid Stormy Dwarf Wizard. A wizard who can Parry and block a melee attack is great; but even better is one who can simply take the hit (Toughness), here you get both! With high Spark damage and plenty of encumber helping to keep a comfortable distance, it can snipe to its hearts content. Team Run and Energizing Move allow this staunch defender to maneuver beyond what is expected and maintain line of sight. Unique utility cards such as: Wall Of Stone, Wall Of Fire and Whirlwind Enemies can totally change the game tempo. A large variety of nonessential traits help to cycle through the deck and can help remove pesky attachments. Important to note is the addition of Squeamish and the utilization of multiple copies. The drawback trait hinders from killing directly, but when using another wizard (who can deliver the killing blow) this doesn't mean much other than more cycling. Lastly, Dimensional Traveller and Acid Blast (on your own square) provide great assistance when facing lava!

Frozen Memory Human Wizard
    Staff Of Winter
    Staff Of Winter
    Axander's Twisted Circlet
    Axander's Twisted Circlet
    Rumbling Rod
    Burning Bangle
    Mantle Of Insinct
    Goblin-Hide Boots
    Untrained Command
    Electroporter Novice

More than one third of the deck is devoted to encumber. However, this wizard suffers from limited defense. Which means he plays keep away just out of arms length. With a collection of discard cards he can effectively insure targets are neutralized and maintain a healthy distance. This wizard provides early board presence and quickly retreats to safety behind his more brawny party members. Notably the Reflexive Teleport provides continual blocking and can not be undervalued! Most wizards cannot get by without some Lava producing card. Burning Bangle is in my opinion the best no talent Arcane Item. This wizard forces opponents to stand there while it Hot Spots beneath them. Similarly, the Electroporter Novice is in my opinion the best no talent Arcane Skill, for it's cycling ability, as well as beneficial nonessential trait cards.

Feel free to comment and add your own builds! :)

Jon likes this.
  2. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

I want to follow you in this Lance.
    Here's my current party:

Dugrim_MP
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

NightWings_MP
    Level 1 Elf Priest

Grondor_MP
    Level 1 Human Wizard

The idea is to have a "toolbox" party.
    The Dwarf Warrior will chase the prey or defend a victory point/the other characters.
    The Elf Priest will heal/draw and move away/damage the enemy.
    The Human Wizard will lock the enemy, zap him, roast him and move him anywhere but here.

Jon likes this.
  3. Peseto

Peseto Mushroom Warrior

Now that i have finally found almost enough items im back to using my old build (switched to human, because of that leadership ;) ):

Barrel
    Level 11 Human Priest

Pickle
    Level 1 Human Priest

Herring
    Level 1 Human Wizard

So far only round one wins :).
    It's so strong it feels a little unfair tbh. The basic idea is to have martyrs blessing and path of knives active on both of my priests and than they bash each other and throw unholy power and demonic feedback on my mage who sets out and kills everything. I still don't have all the items to make it perfect but at the moment i can only loose to round one whirlwind or a really bad draw.

Jon likes this.
  4. Gnug315

Gnug315 Mushroom Warrior

Lance: Cool. I agree with all your comments.

We need some kind of GearScore ;D

5. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

This is perhaps the single most powerful build I know of, and it is a stand alone complex build.

Magma Scape Elf Wizard:
    Mordecai's Staff Of Magma
    Staff Of Blazing Sparks
    Magma Scepter
    Hylithia's Wand
    Bimson's Hard Stone
    Stone Of Shards
    Robe Of Lightness
    Possessed Shoes
    Insight
    Electroporter Novice

This build is designed to take out large numbers of enemies with extreme prejudice. The seven Volcano es help to slag the world in lava! The key to Volcano's effectiveness is being able to insure that every opponent suffers it's effect, while you remain scathed. Which is why Elvish Insight is invaluable, and provides you a glimpse of exactly when to employ the use of your Volcano. Additionally, Flash Of Pain with it's limitless range makes for a great block removal and allows you to better gauge what cards the enemy might have. There are a number of other utility cards which help to overcome the opposition. Cone Of Cold, Acid Blast and Wall Of Stone help to hinder movement, remove armor, and generally give you board control. Again here we see Electroporter Novice used for it's cycling ability, as well as beneficial nonessential trait cards. Those items with no talent which provide beneficial nonessential traits provide additional stability and consistency to the decks draw.

You can check out the deck in use here:
    http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/custom-scenario-zombie-wave-attack.1977/

Jon likes this.
  6. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

This is super awesome, I love seeing these builds.

Did you know that you can export your build AND the decks with "partyanddecksbbcode"?

Danesgal
    Level 1 Elf Warrior

4 x Bludgeon
    3 x Walk

Hurthin
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

4 x Bludgeon
    3 x Walk

Tineva
    Level 1 Elf Wizard

5 x Little Zap
    1 x Bludgeon
    1 x Zap
    3 x Walk

7. Jon

I would love to see the decks for the above builds, hint, hint.

Farbs likes this.
  8. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

Silver Samurai
    Level 1 Human Warrior

1 x Wimpy
    2 x Impaler
    1 x Quick Step
    1 x Block
    1 x Blind Rage
    3 x Parry
    1 x Hardy Mail

This build emphasizes consistency in draw, and unlike most warriors does not relay on buffing. Warriors require close proximity to dish out high damage values. To help insure this proximity is achieved this warrior will need to utilize step cards, and in case of encumber, team member push and slide. Armor can be penetrated, shredded, and does not prevent attachments (unless that armor is Arrogant). So, rather than relay on armor, a healthy number of blocks is used. The most damaging cards are melee attacks. So, Parry is a must, as are other low roll requirement (1 or 2) armor and blocks for reducing the need for "luck." There are also a few unique (1 copy in the deck) cards that add variety and versatility.

Dumbledwarf
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

1 x Toughness
    1 x Immovable
    1 x Parry
    2 x Little Zap
    1 x Hot Spot
    2 x Squeamish
    2 x Frost Jolt
    1 x Acid Blast
    1 x Team Run
    1 x Cold Snap

Wizards have the most versatility of any class, and none so much as, a Solid Stormy Dwarf Wizard. A wizard who can Parry and block a melee attack is great; but even better is one who can simply take the hit (Toughness), here you get both! With high Spark damage and plenty of encumber helping to keep a comfortable distance, it can snipe to its hearts content. Team Run and Energizing Move allow this staunch defender to maneuver beyond what is expected and maintain line of sight. Unique utility cards such as: Wall Of Stone, Wall Of Fire and Whirlwind Enemies can totally change the game tempo. A large variety of nonessential traits help to cycle through the deck and can help remove pesky attachments. Important to note is the addition of Squeamish and the utilization of multiple copies. The drawback trait hinders from killing directly, but when using another wizard (who can deliver the killing blow) this doesn't mean much other than more cycling. Lastly, Dimensional Traveller and Acid Blast (on your own square) provide great assistance when facing lava!

Kolo
    Level 14 Human Wizard

2 x Big Zap
    2 x Hot Spot
    2 x Cold Snap
    1 x Walk
    8 x Frost Jolt
    1 x Sprint
    1 x Fumble

More than one third of the deck is devoted to encumber. However, this wizard suffers from limited defense. Which means he plays keep away just out of arms length. With a collection of discard cards he can effectively insure targets are neutralized and maintain a healthy distance. This wizard provides early board presence and quickly retreats to safety behind his more brawny party members. Notably the Reflexive Teleport provides continual blocking and can not be undervalued! Most wizards cannot get by without some Lava producing card. Burning Bangle is in my opinion the best no talent Arcane Item. This wizard forces opponents to stand there while it Hot Spots beneath them. Similarly, the Electroporter Novice is in my opinion the best no talent Arcane Skill, for it's cycling ability, as well as beneficial nonessential trait cards.

9. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

Tineva
    Level 1 Elf Wizard

1 x Little Zap
    1 x Walk
    1 x Shuffle
    7 x Volcano
    2 x Hover
    1 x Firestorm
    2 x Acid Blast
    1 x Immovable

This build is designed to take out large numbers of enemies with extreme prejudice. The seven Volcano es help to slag the world in lava! The key to Volcano's effectiveness is being able to insure that every opponent suffers it's effect, while you remain scathed. Which is why Elvish Insight is invaluable, and provides you a glimpse of exactly when to employ the use of your Volcano. Additionally, Flash Of Pain with it's limitless range makes for a great block removal and allows you to better gauge what cards the enemy might have. There are a number of other utility cards which help to overcome the opposition. Cone Of Cold, Acid Blast and Wall Of Stone help to hinder movement, remove armor, and generally give you board control. Again here we see Electroporter Novice used for it's cycling ability, as well as beneficial nonessential trait cards. Those items with no talent which provide beneficial nonessential traits provide additional stability and consistency to the decks draw.

10. penda

penda Mushroom Warrior

Peseto, I saw one of your matches and man it must suck to be on the receiving end of that. I had a similar idea (some slight variations) but the drive to gain/collect the needed cards just doesn't exist knowing it will reset.

Jon, how do I go about using "partyanddecksbbcode" to import/export decks. I've been just writing them down...

11. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

In the game, but outside of battle press F1 twice and then type in "partyanddecksbbcode"This will copy the build to your clipboard, then just press F1 once more to remove the script.

12. penda

penda Mushroom Warrior

Thanks! Was unaware there was a dev command/console. Going to do a quick search to see what other commands there are. I'm guessing there isn't a way to import builds back in.

13. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Coraline
    Level 18 Human Priest

1 x Slowed
    1 x Quick Step
    3 x Holy Armor
    2 x Leadership
    2 x Bless
    2 x Altruism
    2 x Heal
    3 x Minor Heal
    1 x Wild Run

Meledien
    Level 1 Human Priest

2 x Leadership
    1 x Slowed
    1 x Bless
    2 x Mind Worm
    1 x Holy Armor
    2 x Altruism
    2 x Heal
    4 x Minor Heal
    1 x Mail
    1 x Bad Luck

Boomstick
    Level 1 Human Wizard

2 x Leadership
    1 x Flame Spit
    1 x Fire Spray
    1 x Volcano
    1 x Slowed
    7 x Firestorm

I tried a different version to Lance's deck, it still needs a bit of tuning (I'm missing the marty's medallions which would put this over the top) but it's a pure combo deck that wins on turn 1 or 2 using firestorms (or more likely by your opponent rage quitting as you take 15 minutes to kill them while they pass).

You don't need line of sight or anything pesky like engaging your opponents. You get marty's blessing on your guys, then cast firestorm to hurt everyone, get loads of cards, heal your own guys and repeat. With 6 leaderships in the deck it's pretty easy to redraw for the right cards.

Not only is this OP, but I'd have to agree with my suffering opponents that it may not make for the most enjoyable pvp matches.

**edit**

The key issue is Marty's Blessing, it's really easy to abuse. I think it should only trigger on damage sources controlled by your opponent.

14. Jon

Yeah, this is exactly the sort of thing we're looking for in Beta, thanks :)

I agree that if this sort of combo is over-powered, it makes the game not very fun.

15. Jon

How consistent is that build though? With only 3 x Martyr Blessing, I can see it not going off that quickly or reliably.

16. Peseto

Peseto Mushroom Warrior

Barrel
    Level 11 Human Priest

2 x Leadership
    3 x Holy Armor
    2 x Altruism
    2 x Heal
    1 x Charge
    1 x Slowed
    5 x Minor Heal

Pickle
    Level 1 Human Priest

2 x Leadership
    3 x Holy Armor
    1 x Walk
    3 x Altruism
    2 x Jump Back
    2 x Heal
    1 x Slowed
    4 x Minor Heal

Herring
    Level 1 Human Wizard

2 x Leadership
    2 x Fireball
    1 x Frost Jolt
    2 x Acid Blast
    1 x Cold Snap
    1 x Sprint
    1 x Little Zap
    2 x Squeamish
    1 x Scamper
    1 x Slowed
    1 x Force Bolt

The reason im not using firestrom in this build on my mage, is that it cycles through the attachments of my priests (Altruism, Path of knives and Martyrs Blessing). But it probably could work and make it a lot faster. At the moment it takes about 15 mins of set up to get all 3 kills, while the opponent sits there and passes...

It feels very consistent, 8 martyrs blessings, 6 Path of knives (would use more if i had them), 6 leaderships, 6 demonic feedback and 2 unholy power.
    Additionally im trying to reduce the effective decksize as much as possible. One thing im experimenting at the moment is movement vs decksize on my mage (e.g Robes Of Foz or Robe Of Lightness).

But i totally agree, it's really not fun playing against it.

17. Gnug315

Gnug315 Mushroom Warrior

This is a somewhat offhand suggestion, but what about limiting equipment use to one copy per char (or even team). This would make it a lot harder to create unusual and super strong combos that rely heavily on them going off reliably.

18. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Without Martyr's Medallions it's more prone to a bad draw, but surprisingly not as much as you'd think. Leadership and all the priest's card draw really help you dig/filter for the few you have.

This isn't a complaint, but as a beta tester it is much harder to try and break these things with a limited card pool. Lance's build and mine rely on some very specific items. Looking over the wiki, I see things that could potentially be abused, but I'm unable to realistically obtain the cards (often legendary and epic cards) in order to test the theory. I can't help but feel this may be repeating the lessons learned by early Magic. Garfield (who I know had some involvement with this game) originally thought placing certain cards at rare would limit their availability and be enough to protect the game environment, but that didn't work and led to tons of bannings. The lesson being that card rarity can not protect a collectible game environment from OP cards. Some players will do whatever it takes to obtain them, and while that makes you money, it also completely warps your multiplayer environment.

If this were a physical CCG I was playtesting it would be trivial to simply proxy up the cards I wanted to test, but in a game like Card Hunters I can't really recreate your game assets and test them. In your design you tend to stack multiples of the "interesting" (from a play test perspective) rare cards on epic and legendary items. It seems to me that optimal builds will focus on those items, by improving both a decks power level and consistency. Yet, for obvious free to play design decisions, those same items are very difficult to obtain short of buying lots of pizza. This really limits what can be tested. Your first question is how consistent my deck is, a very fair question and normally I try to improve consistency to show how broken something is, but what else can you expect given your mechanics to obtain items?

The way your currently handling things, you're pretty much expecting your testers to pay to obtain a play set (of high level items). For a collectible game that's kind of obscene, and heavily limits the type of testing most of your participants can do. I very much like your game, and will happily support it, but I also know what it took me to be able to put some of these builds together and I feel it's asking a bit much of your testers.

19. Gnug315

Gnug315 Mushroom Warrior

Oberon is spot on. If you want testers to help balance test MP, we need the cards to be available in order to be able to test them.

Now, you may inherently want the highest level/rarest cards to be the most powerful, even if only slightly. That's a different discussion entirely.

20. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Yeah, as an example Lance is talking in another post about how he doesn't want to have to spend his pizza on Bern's Untouchable Mail which happens to be available in his rare store.

Given that you just recently fixed things with encumbrance which in theory helps balance dwarves, this seems like precisely the type of item that should be getting tested right now. Lance seems more than capable of building a good deck, and yet it's not happening.

I had to go on a pizza binge myself, in order to get the pieces to put together the firestorm deck. This was still needed after I'd beaten the campaign (all under the club), beaten a fair amount of quests and played a good amount of multiplayer, and I gave you 50$ when I joined the Beta last week. I had to do all of this with the intention of reporting it, so you would take it seriously and fix it. I do that sort of thing because I really enjoy beta testing and have a healthy amount of disposable income, but I expect most people would find what I did absurd. This is not a healthy way to power test your game.

RattyZ and Essence like this.