Mauve Manticore #6

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Jarmo, Jul 21, 2015.

1. mm6123

mm6123 Kobold

Just went back to refresh my memory, and got through the first battle on the fifth try (got unlucky with a potentially battle-ending attack getting blocked by a Parry on try #1, Riptide and Blackhammer were together on the same side on try #'s 2 and 3, and my Warrior didn't draw any attacks on a critical turn on try #4). I agree that it's difficult, but it's not impossible. I'm sorry it got buried in text in my earlier post, but I just want to re-emphasize how important it is to stay out of range of Whorl while taking on the other two enemies. The Punishing Beam (range 6) really hurts and should be avoided at all costs. When Whorl took out all three of your characters, what had your strategy been? Were you putting characters that could be one-shotted by Whorl within attacking range? Were you keeping track of how many unrevealed cards Whorl had? Were you trying to rush Whorl in the center without Flight/Teleport/Mobility, turning your characters into sitting ducks? How many VPs did Whorl have left to win the battle? If you didn't lose any characters (2 VPs each), then you should have enough breathing room to take out Whorl in a "safe" manner (i.e. healing up and staying out of attack range and only rushing toward the center when you get one or two of Nimbus, Flight, Teleport, or Elven Mobility).

This usually won't be relevant, but if you desperately need to get to the center to prevent the enemy from winning by VPs and you got very unlucky and have no mobility cards (Flight Aura, Teleport Self, etc.), one last-ditch method is to turn the difficult terrain squares into lava with Lava Pool or Wall of Fire. It's usually better to use the lava cards to dish out damage to the enemies, but if you're really in a bind and need to get to the center to contest the victory location, then this is one way, though it may be somewhat counter-intuitive. (Lava Terrain overrides Difficult Terrain, allowing your characters to dash across. Don't leave any characters in the lava, obviously.) Usually, if it gets to this point, it's improbable you'll win, but it's worth a shot.

For what it's worth, once you get past the first battle, the remaining two battles are much easier, so I think MM6 is worth doing, but it does take some patience.

2. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

It seems that a lot of people have problems with the first battle...
    I had a lot worse time trying to defend the mages in the second one.
    Also, the only time that I made to the third, I was steamrolled.

3. Ken

Ken Kobold

I just ended about four hours of unsuccessful play on this one battle(the first of M.M.#6) and have come to the realization that there is no precise way to defeat it.During the trial I have tried to occupy the victory squares to no avail...each enemy character has overwhelming attacks and armour that seems to have +6 on all rolls-I went an entire battle without causing any harm to them an hour ago...and even the slightest damage is corrected with a +8 heal seemingly just in time.I went four battles in succession without receiving any rockfall or lava cards!I don't believe in luck,so I don't believe I will beat this one...I have read"mm6123"'s dialog and found no new information.
    To those who say they have won it,I wonder how long It will take to do that again...I will continue trying.Thank you for letting me "cool my jets".-K.

4. Ken

Ken Kobold

First round...lava covers all victory squares!...so what happened next?...all three enemies chased me into a corner and annihilated my fighter and my cleric... my wizard only just survived the onslaught by teleporting to the center of an "obstruction"-where she remained trapped for the rest of the battle with no other teleport cards in hand or any other area effect cards dealt.
    ~:(

5. Ken

Ken Kobold

FINALLY!!!...Battle 1 over!...Battle 2,Done!(after 6 tries...only used lava followed by spreaders and did not evacuate the jelly until the last minute.)Battle 3, um...Sharkbear?':~