Mauve Manticore #4

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Magic Elves, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

New update, and with it new adventures! I've got to say, these levels seem really challenging, but they're easier then they look, once you figure out how to play them.

#1: Protect the Forest

A Goblin Shaman and two tiny trees from a level I personally haven't played, versus the mechanized hordes! The goblin actually has some very useful attacks, and also can buff and energize the trees after they've already attacked. If you can take out the servants with a buffed Long Thin Branch, do so so the ornithopters can't do more damage. Buzzsaw can be a pain if you draw the armor, and don't let both trees catch on fire at once, because if you draw Combustable, you can put it on the tree that's not on fire. Finally, the bronze golem can be dangerous, but it seems to prefer standing on the victory point squares more then attacking, so if you just keep an ornithopter on the victory square next to you, it'll be content to idle a square away from useful range most of the time.

#2: Astral Chess

Everyone remembers fighting mom and her drawing Resistant Hide on her warrior? Well, it's working to your advantage now. Once you draw it, the level is basically won unless you really screw up and stand on some acid. The pawn has the most attacks that aren't dependent on orientation that can actually hurt you through the hide, but it's short range. Wait until you draw some strong attacks and an All Out Attack, then dash for a rook and beat him up then return to the victory square.

#3: Break-out: Outbreak!

I personally think this level is the hardest, simply because random draws can and will screw you over. The best draws you can hope for are lots of Parry and Powerful Hack, but you're not going to get as many as you want, so fight smartly. The only zombies you should really try to kill are the first one right there if you can manage it and anything else that gets close when you have a Powerful hack, but don't let yourself get swarmed, it'll end very badly. Always use your runs for the most movement possible, even if you have to wait a turn to take out the zombie in your path. Those step attacks are much better for fleeing then fighting, and don't let yourself get pinned against the wall! Getting to the victory square is your best hope, but you have to get there before the Even More Zombies flood the last section of the hallway. You're probably going to have to fight one or two while defending the square, but while running ahead of them you should have saved some parries, making it easier.

tuknir likes this.
  2. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

#1) I tryed beat it at test server and always failed. this time i did it in 3 tries. Manage to get a free point on the first round. Then i manage to take out the golem with a buffed up tree. This map you really need play safe and see what ai does, dont rush into things

#2) Not much to say. I had plent of experince on this map. Staying on point and see what ai does. only move if it gets acid or if a rook is in position to shoot you

#3) Fun map.all about make the right movement. Killed 2 zombies on my way to the point.Think very careful before you move,because you dont want to enter the area of the zombies where your movements gets blocked.

3. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Ps: Don't know who wrote that text to map #2 but it's much more talented than me :p

4. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

#1, like the background story for it, fun match
    #2 I had as @Magic Elves said, got my resistant hide on round 1 and just sit there, didn't really feel like I have to attack but did so anyway (not often I get All out attack with the almighty hack!)
    #3 Absolutely great board, managed to get to the second door when I got pinned and had to fight one zombie so I could use my move to a full effect, then maneuvered to the VS for the last stand, really fun map!

5. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I have to agree with piotras, all of the levels are great, but breakout does, well, just that! It's definitely a challenging one, but once you figure out to conserve what you need, it's amazing to get it right. (I also got resistant hide on the first turn for the second map, it might be harder without it)

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks guys. Hope no one minds the liberties I took editing text ;)

7. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

#1: Move your characters to one side of the map, and hope the AI decides to VP camp half its forces on the other side. The servants are a pain, but easy to kill with buffed range attacks. Once you take them and an ornithopter out, you can start camping on the VP and taking out creatures as they come across to fight.

#2: The pawn is bad news up close. I took out the rooks while ignoring their sparks (with RH), then got lucky with the bishop standing in line next to me (spamming more useless sparks) and blocking the advance of the pawn. Pass, pass, pass, victory. YMMV.

#3: The toughest map, because you need four things to happen: (1) the far door resists for at least one turn, (2) the far pack of zombies don't draw multiple shuffles in too many turns, (3) you draw lots of parries and (4) you draw some stronger attacks. Basically, you have about 8-10 turns to kill 6 zombies, which can suck if you draw heaps of weak step attacks, or get tagged good by an infected bite or zombie mob while they're swarming.

Stexe likes this.
  8. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Cool adventure! The design of every level is very good. Personally, the only map that was hard for me was the last one. If you get the wrong cards or zombies get their best attacks, you're pretty much dead whatever you do.

Flaxative likes this.
  9. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

It was you!!

Alright, then.

#1. Somehow, I couldn't get positioning right so I didn't die repeatedly.
    That might do it. Thanks!

#2. I didn't draw Resistant Hide until the second-to-last turn, so I had to deal with the foes. It was very, very interesting figuring out what was worth my time. I danced around off of the Victory Square to defeat an enemy or two, rationed Blocks, avoided attacks, and generally had fun.

#3. Well, I made the thing, so what can I say? If folks don't know me, I LOVE MOVEMENT, and so the correct answer to this map is that all is subservient to movement: as folks established above, even killing enemies is best if calculated to allow movement.
    . . . And with that, you are the first person in the last year to so much as mention killing 6 zombies.

Stexe likes this.
  10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Wait, people beat #3 by killing enough zombies???????? Ok :)

11. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I was about to do it but the zombies got to the VP spot and I lost due to that, thus the suggestion to increase the VP for edge case scenarios like that.

12. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Well, I'm a deeply lazy man and that VP is a looong way away. Why go to all that trouble when the zombies come to you?

Sir Veza likes this.
  13. First time I played that edge of the map was just offscreen, and I thought "nah, there can't be anything important down there." Nearly made it (at least I like to think so).

Flaxative likes this.
  14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I see. I'm pretty sure the intention is for people to run to the end, and if they manage to kill a lot of zombies that's just a bonus win condition.

15. Sir Knight

Yes, that is the intention. This is why the intro text is phrased in terms of running for the exit, and of course the "survival horror" parody is trying to bring to mind those times you just couldn't clear a room of zombies.

Defeating enough zombies to win was an acceptable "hard mode." Do it if you want! I'll just be over here running . . .
    I think that's cool; but now that I know your experience, you're convincing me AGAINST increasing the Victory Points. The purpose is to run. If the scenario fails in compelling you to run, or to make running into an enjoyable experience, then that is my failure.

This is why I made a subsequent map about maneuvering where you were much faster and much wimpier: this one. I don't think it was as successful.

16. Stexe

Ah, I usually design things to have multiple paths to victory to allow for more interesting gameplay. But I can understand if you wanted it to only be played a certain way which would make more sense.

Either way, it does feel like a very luck based map -- you need a decent amount of Parry cards and to hope the enemy doesn't Zombie Mob to kill the door + move multiple times on the first turn.

17. Sir Knight

My first map made in any modern videogame! Yup! Not going to disagree here.

Stexe likes this.
  18. Arcanan

Arcanan Kobold

Just tested the first round and I find it very weird that your mobs can only hit once while all the ennemy can spam on you, not my flavour.

19. Stexe

That is because of how the minions are groups. Groups that contain multiple units can only attack once per unit. And that is also what makes it challenging.

20. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Woah, I just played this MM4. The last map is so good, omg! :D Well done whoever created it.(ultimatetoken) First try I didn't understand really what's going on and Infected Bite came through my Parry and it was GG.
    2nd game I went for 6 zombies. 6th zombie had 2hp left on the last turn and I had a Parry left!!! Any attack card would have gotten me the win but noooooooo, I got a Parry!
    3rd game I went for the VP. Hadn't had so much fun in SP since ever I think :D Like in an action movie. Running right and left, doing wall jumps and killing some zombies that stand in your way :D And then I reached the VP and they started shuffling towards me. I even had to kill 1 there, too. And then I got 6 vps. Awesome :p

Magic Elves and Flaxative like this.