Lvl4: Dungeon of the Lizard Priest - overtuned?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Pengw1n, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

As part of my tatical writeup for the early adventures, I've found the game about as hard as I want it: some adventures are a bit easy, some a bit harder - but manageable, at least before I progressed to the Dungeon of the Lizard Priest.

Before starting this adventure, highest number of replays of any map I had to do was 2 and the other lvl 4 adventure Ruby Demon Portal, which I completed just before, was almost a bit too easy.

Amount of replays per map:

1: Sewer Lizards - 3 (somewhat acceptable, but sort of hard for a first map - considering you'd likely need retries for the next 2)
    2: Slime Tunnels - 8 (! Not ok, this map is way too hard)
    3: Lizardmen Guardians - 2 (Close to victory on the first attempt, not too hard)

Problem with the first map is that the Lizardmen Warriors are all single units rather than minions, meaning they have the possibility to attack as many times as they want as long as they have attacks on hand combined with high mobility and reach attacks on a small and crowded map. Aaaand they even have a poison dot. Ouch. Possible solution could be to remove 1 Lizardman Warrior and keep them as single units - or even add one and make it a 4 man minion group (4 attacks every round is better than 6+ even if you have to kill one more unit). Another solution could be to turn a Warrior into a Netter, as they're less dangerous from my experience.

Second map is the real nightmare here as you basically start as a sitting duck - I tried various different positioning but at best ended up with 2 mobs left before dying. In the end I lucked out and managed to get in a good position where they couldn't get at me from every direction at once. Lizardmen minion group here could be shrunk by one - or even switch one out for a second ooze (they are less mobile, meaning you have more time to find a defensible position). Another possibility would be to not have you spawn in the middle, but that wouldn't feel like a fun change.

I was fine with the third map, so no real need to comment here.

Anyone else had problems with this adventure at all, or was it just the gods of RNG taking me for a spin? Didn't feel like I had bad draws or bad gear tbh. I'm open to tactical suggestions for my tactical journey writeup as I currently can't really give any good pointers on this fight apart from the obvious ones.

2. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

It's really easy with two wizards, one warrior. Easy with triple warrior (talking about fresh starts, no gear 'twinking or anything' - just like you're doing). Haven't played with standard party so I can't say anything more

3. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Think you got unlucky with their cards more then yours but i really dislike lizards in general like trogs but with every piece of armor being a strong attack its really horrid unless you can take the hits

4. Pengw1n

Yeah, I agree that it could probably work better with some different party compositions like Gabbek suggest - but I believe it's an early enough adventure that it should be tuned for a standard party with standard gear (as that's how you'll see the map first time unless you grind the lower adventures and purchase more party members). I remember beating it a lot easier before the account reset (with the same basic party) - but I probably used some of the great gear that had been collected during the full beta unlock, or it's just a case of bad luck as suggested. It was just such a difference between any of the other maps for me, that I felt I had to give some feedback.

5. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

The main trick to remember is to NOT approach netters on range 2 - they have spear attacks which you won't be able to handle, simply you don't have enough health - so you get rid of lizardmen spearmen by soaking the damage and then wear down netters with wizard/cleric (out of range) :) not to mention priest's attacks which are insane too.

6. Pengw1n

I didn't have any problems with the netters, or the third map. Problems are with the first two maps (where there are no netters), where am I'm not free to move away from them to snipe them down or take them on one by one. In the first two maps - I have to engage the lizardmen 2+ at a time since they surround and outmaneuver me.

7. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

I take my words back, confused myself with the dungeon - the slime tunnel (4 lizardmen + ooze) is indeed a very hard fight if you don't have enough damage to kill at least 1 of each lizardmen / turn.

8. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Solo monsters in general work too good if you ask me aka they are too efficient wanting to use a single mob shouldn't make that mob insane.

9. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

The second fight is pretty hard, thanks to the number of enemies and the lack of room to maneuver.

At least the lizards fall pretty quickly if you get enough attacks...

10. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Netters are a hazard for any strategy that depends on moving. And, when I'm outclassed, my strategy is to move; so I'm pretty glad there are no Netters in the second fight.

I found that most of the time, when I had to surmount a "wow, this adventure is harder than I expected" experience in the middle-levels, I used choke points. In the second fight, I sacrificed everything to kill the top-right Lizardman and get to the far right corner. Then I positioned myself so as to make the enemies approach me on my terms, minimizing the attacks they could get (across their lizardly mass), and using appropriately-ranged attacks for whichever target needed to die next. The occasional enemy-moving spell also helped, but wasn't as reliable as using the choke point.

And before you go "but the far right corner can be approached from two directions," consider two things. First, it takes time for you to get there, and meanwhile all the enemies are heading toward your stragglers in the middle of the map. This means that the first ones to approach your new hidey-hole all come from the left opening. Second, when they finally get around to approaching the bottom opening, the one patch of difficult terrain causes them to bottle up and give you more time to draw the darn cards you need.

11. Pengw1n

Yeah, that's actually how I beat it - 2 directions are better than 3, or standing out in the open. However, it's still pretty hard to pull off in comparison to most other adventures, and lacking drawing a violent overswing (my warrior has one attack over 6 damage) that'd be around 3 attacks to get a single lizardman down. Not being able to do that and get into the passage, would mean a party member dying in 2-3 attacks (mage especially).

12. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Cool, glad to know I wasn't bonkers.

I still replayed that fight a few times. One thing that might have helped is I kept party HP relatively even, with no one terribly weaker than any other: my one Wizard is a Dwarf, while my one Elf is a Priest. (Yes, the Elf Priest was therefore the quickest to die; but even that just bought time for the others, and Unholy Frenzy could linger after the Priest's death.)

13. Galvayra

Galvayra Kobold

Anyone managed to do the 1 hp challenge of this? some tips and/or tricks would be awesome .. all the items i have with parry needs talents to equip, and armor is completely unreliable for me. i draw 2x Heavy Armor and i keep failing the rolls constantly.

14. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Wouldn't poison make the armor pointless regardless?

Done 3/5 of the quests in beta that one I'm not wasting my time with until its one of the last left.

15. Galvayra

Galvayra Kobold

Poison does not concern me all that much, i just cant survive everything else, i manage to get past the first map, the second one is just too brutal, nowhere to hide, nowhere to go and an ooze with 4 attacks per round on top of of it

16. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I remember that one causing me trouble till I changed my cards around. I roll with 3 wizards anyway so pewpew lazorz and abuse AI I did.