Loot Fairy Tracker

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm thinking about both this and some way to prevent troll reports.
    For now, maybe, you can just check it as 'confirmed absent' while you check it, and then change it to 'confirmed present' if you find the fairy.

neoncat, Sir Veza and Jarmo like this.
  2. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

To enforce accountability you could tie a nick to the posting IP. I'd suggest recording also the post time and showing the time elapsed since the check reservation. This way you'd see e.g.
    Black Oaken Heart 17 O O O X Jarmo 7 minutes ago
    X = Checking
    This way you could take over an adventure if the reserving player is taking an hour to do it and there's nothing more to check.

Flaxative likes this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Neat idea, and I think I can implement that without much difficulty. But I gotta sleep now, big day tomorrow (meeting Farbs and Megadestructo!), so for the next day or two you'll need to make do with what's there :)

neoncat, Sir Veza and Jarmo like this.
  4. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Thanks for creating the tracking page and have a good con!

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hey, you're welcome, I hope it's a step in the right direction and I can definitely improve on it in the future.

neoncat likes this.
  6. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

UURR(R)

To recap, Loot Fairy is at Shrine of the Astral Guardians (level 13) today.

LeisureSuitLoli and Flaxative like this.
  7. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

You might use a running average of reports, rather than just taking the last report. Or, you could keep a history of the last N reports for a module and make it visible on hover (and indicate multiple reports by underlining the module, or something...).

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yep, both possible. I might only implement something like this if it becomes necessary though.

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Just fixed a bug where the countdown timer would break after noon UTC because I was calculating time remaining till reset based on time since midnight, and erroneously using 12-hour time instead of 24-hour time :oops:

10. PDXTai

PDXTai Ogre

RRRE(R)

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Update #2: http://sorcererers.dotq.org/loot-fairy.php
    As per Jarmo's request, you can now mark a module as "checking"—as in, you are looking for the Loot Fairy in that module. Do this if you want to avoid redundant checking work, the idea being that you mark it as 'checking', go check, come back, and report the fairy as either absent or present.

I have a cron job running once an hour to reset all "checking" states to "unknown."

12. brinkmanship

brinkmanship Mushroom Warrior

Flaxative, seriously, the tracker page looks terrific. Nothing fancy, just pure functionality and information. Well played, sir. Have fun with Farb and Megadestructo :)

Flaxative likes this.
  13. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Looks very good, Flax. Well done! =)

Flaxative likes this.
  14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I can always make it look nicer down the line, but I felt a bit of pressure to produce this ASAP so I threw the whole thing together in an hour and a half :)

15. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Thanks for the refinements! To be fair, Checking was Veza's idea. I think it begs the nicks to be even more useful.

As I'm sure you realise, the problem with an hourly reset is the variable 59 - 1 minute window it leaves for the patrolmen.

I realise this is probably what could be done at this time and very possibly a work in progress. Spouting random features is always trivial compared to implementing them. That said, I feel showing (per adventure!) the elapsed time since Checking was selected would be the bees' knees.

For each adventure, knowing who started to check it and when would be the baseline for building a really robust, flexible and non-frustrating patrol procedure. Of course, to really reap its benefits it would need to be adhered to. Ninjaing reserved adventures would quickly erode the enthusiasm and altruism of the more conscientious hunters.

16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Derp, sorry Veza!

And yes, this was just something I was able to implement in a couple minutes before running out the door. Refinement will come :)

17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Good to hear! Y'all have a good time now in the Moscone and environs!

18. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

UURR(R)

19. YamaDeva

YamaDeva Mushroom Warrior

20. brinkmanship

brinkmanship Mushroom Warrior

Wow. We either got lucky or this new tracker has empowered us to crowdsource the **** out of the search space. The fairy has been located in Tomb of Tvericus!

Flaxative and Sir Veza like this.