Let's talk about: Game Difficulty!

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Pengw1n, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

They are doing this, starting with the lowest-level adventures. See the beta update logs for their progress.

Essence likes this.
  2. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

I did that one tonight - killed the merc quickly with only one dog exiting the tunnel. Killed the dog too and moved down the tunnel, killing the second dog at the corner. Stafford didn't ever move out of the victory area ecxept when I force blasted him from the tunnel, then he moved back to it. When my team came out in his room, he was basically defenceless and I killed him with two turns to go.

Hardest campaign for me so far has been Castle of Melvonius, but I beat it on my last try. Tons of healing to recover from the red demon was the trick. I lost the wizard, but the warrior and priest dealt with the last Trapling and Melvonius himself easily enough when the arrogant fool decided to teleport to us...

3. hwango

hwango Hydra

For me, monkeys cross the line from challenging into infuriating. I had other battles I had to try again, and I didn't mind those at all. Those battles were just hard, or I had bad luck. But having to fight those wretched monkeys over and over again...I went to play the other available adventure (trees!) and was horrified to find it ALSO CONTAINED MONKEYS. After a few tries I was finally victorious, and I don't look forward to having to fight them again after a reset.

Now all that I have left is the dragon...and he's rapidly approaching the same level of frustration. I have now fought him 9 times, and I don't feel like I'm any closer to figuring out how to achieve victory. I've gotten him as low as 18 HP, but that's it. I don't know what else to try other than a different party composition, and I'd like to think you never need to go that far in order to win a fight.

4. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

You could have also replied to my arguments.... But here goes again. In games based very much on grinding and gaining loot, difficulty levels needs incentives. Otherwise fastest/easiest is always best option. No matter how boring or easy. That is until people stop playing. May not apply to everyone, but significant chunk of playerbase anyway.

5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I don't think the dragon is currently balanced since the terrain attachment nerf (people used to kill him with firewalls in one turn if they drew it et c). So, I wouldn't be surprised if this one would be in need of some balancing now.

6. ram

ram Kobold

I can't beat terror of temple, I just can't the second level with all the flying monkies and war monkies has me stomped and I tried it 27 time (and counting) with different variation of my deck and it just has me frustrated.
    I only managed to pass it once and then died the next level cause I had to no replays.
    seriously the amount ducks and acrobatic flips in a war monkey deck is just unfair.
    how do I deal with those monkeys? while the flying monkeys are pleting me with acorns for 7 damage each?

7. funny

funny Mushroom Warrior

I found that one comparably easy (the third is a lot more difficult, currently stuck there). attack monkeys from behind, use the cover to get out of LOS of the flying monkeys and create lava tiles etc once the monkeys have exhausted their movement. You can hover the mouse over a flying monkey to see where it can see/shoot.

8. BFrost

BFrost Kobold

Yeah, gently caress those monkeys. I'm trying to finish all "no party deaths" quests right now and they are giving me a really hard time :)
    The only adventure I had real problems while doing these quests is Melvelous. But monkeys... Those monkeys... :)

9. Monkeys are the worst ever ... Same advice as above - i try to play as they are playing, that is, always attack them from behind. In this way they cannot block, nor still your cards etc.

Dragon went down on the second run - but my warrior got exceptionally good series of cards (with martyr blessing( and put down dragon to 18hp before dying ...

10. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

The incentive would be that players get to enjoy a challenge. There are people who actually have more fun playing on a higher difficulty. That's the incentive....having more fun. Extra loot would be unnecessary. Also, the people who enjoy a challenge, would probably be rather good at this game. Therefore, they could probably beat a module relatively in the same amount of time as a casual player playing on normal mode. Meaning, most casual/hardcore players would be getting loot at relatively the same rate. Also, like I've already said, the hardcore players could play through each module on hard mode or normal mode. This means that they could enjoy the game with a challenge for as long as they want, and whenever they feel like it, switch to normal mode and get "faster/easier" loot, as you say, just like normal mode players.

11. bmc

bmc Kobold

The single player game in its current state is far too difficult for me. I guess I'm more of a casual gamer, but I cannot imagine myself playing this game upon release (or even anymore in the beta) until it resembles "slamming my head in the door over and over again" less. The missions are too god damned hard, and only leveling up when the entire "series" of missions is completed makes not being able to defeat it that much more of a slap in the face. I wish y'all the best with your game, but the difficulty level and pacing is just not my cup of tea.

12. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

Same here, man. It's a shame, too, because playing the campaign is the best way to get loot. But I'm not going to frustrate myself into a headache over some of these ridiculously hard modules. They'll probably make some changes, though. I think enough people are complaining to warrant that.

13. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

Stats will likely determine the outcome more than complaints. The number of complaints is a very small percentage of the players. Not to say that they won't supplement the data, but no worries we've been told they are taking a lot of analytics and will adjust accordingly.

14. Pengw1n

When reporting issues with the difficulty of the campaign, might I suggest adding more feedback than "too hard"? Possibly what you considered a fun/balanced map - and what maps you have had issues with?

15. Raitei

Raitei Kobold

So I finally beat The Throne of Strench. Used the suggestion to move around and make the enemies run out of move cards. Wish the prize at the end was better though!

Pengw1n likes this.
  16. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

Only because most players don't even use the forum. I'm confident in saying that probably around 50% of players, at least, will find the campaign to be too difficult. Whether only a bit, or a lot.

17. Pengw1n

Let's stay out of guessing and focus on constructive discussions, shall we?

18. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

OK, dad.

19. Pengw1n

Constructive, how?

20. TheOneBigOne

TheOneBigOne Mushroom Warrior

Each battle has a specific way that BM want's you to complete it. Some you need armor destructions (trogs come to mind) others you need movement and range damage, I like this in theory however in practice where you have an extremely limited amount of gear that drops and the shops don't help much more, being unable to replay for loot kills. How do they (BM) expect you to change your deck to meet the battle specific challenges when they don't give you the cards to be able to change your deck?

I feel that each battle should give you the tools you need for the next one or the whole concept of each battle requiring different cards is an exercise in futility and frustration.

My suggestion is drop non random loot that players will need for the next encounter or unlock the previous maps so when a player finds the mission they don't have the correct deck for they can at least attempt to grind and get a new deck that is appropriate for the challenge.

Furthermore I feel the random card dealer is horrid and needs reworking so you get dealt 1 attack and 1 move every turn.