Let's introduce ourselves!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zenebar, Jul 21, 2011.

?

Which "class" do you align with the most?

1. Warrior

27.7%
  2. Rogue

30.5%
  3. Wizard

41.8%
  1. Brekka

Brekka Kobold

Hello peoples

I've been a huge fan of this game since I learned about it what seems like forever ago at pax 2012 and i finally got a beta key a couple of days ago. Im huge into games, anime and tech in general and this one is right up my alley since i love turn based tactics games even though they eat my life. I cant wait to see how this game progresses and what else Blue Manchu can throw at us with this game because from what I've played so far I'm loving every bit of it.

2. Ravel

Ravel Mushroom Warrior

Hey everyone, my name is Ravel.

I'm 29, live in the US and have been a gamer most of my life. I tend to flock toward RPGs and turn-based strategy games, but I enjoy all genres with the exception of platformers. I work from home doing customer service, and play a lot of games while I work (mostly turn-based).

As for the OP's question, I've always aligned most with the wizard archetype. Not only do I prefer slow-starting strong-finishing characters a lot, but wizard characters appeal to me because they have power beyond what I can experience in real life, which I why I'm playing a video game in the first place :p Sure, the other archetypes usually exhibit superhuman strength or agility, but wizards often have superhuman intelligence in addition to setting everything on fire.

3. Hellos every one, I'm the HalfBakedProphet, I possess the power to predict your future with 50% accuracy!!

I've never really played a game quite like Card Hunter before, but I'm having a blast. The adventures of Buttercup Sassypants, Liliana Ladyface, and Bertha Bigbooty will surely be sung for ages to come!

As for my fantasy role, I'm probably a Wizard given that I've put a lot of points into my INT over the years and I just love electrocuting things while shouting "UNLIMITED POWWAHH!!!"

4. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Welcome, everyone!

5. manchufan

manchufan Kobold

Hi there people. this game is so cool I got sucked in and forgot to do something important. So here, thanks for the beta key blue manchu! you guys are awesome and I cannot thank you guys enough :p

6. Darkmatter

Darkmatter Kobold

Hi guys

I'm an RPG nut and have been for years. I had the original D&D red box, and this game brings back fond memories. I still roleplay, mainly in GURPS and Chaosium systems. I also run games when I have the time. In addition to this, I love computer-based rpgs. I've been waiting for a simulated board game of this sort for YEARS. Outside of rolling dice and pushing mice, I'm a graphic designer. I want to marry the art style of this game.

7. teoz

teoz Kobold

hi to everybody!!!
    i hope to recive a beta key soon to try this gmae! i like game card and D&D... so this game look made for me!!!!!
    hoping to se you soon in gmae!!!!

ps: sorry 4 my bad english!!!! :p

8. Templair

Templair Kobold

Greetings everyone ...
    Nice to meet You all and nice to see You have so much fun ingame. I'm sure I'll have as much fun as You... someday ;) ...

T.

9. Rubeus

Rubeus Kobold

Hi everyone!
    I recently watch a gameplay in YouTube, and I love the way it looks this "Card Hunter".
    Let's see if it progresses in its development and got something good here. Of course, right now it´s very, very interesting. I hope I can try the BETA soon.

Cheers!
    R

10. Topher

Topher Kobold

Mind: blown.

I signed up for the beta a while back...then got the invite email just a couple of days ago.

What a great game so far. Luckily I'm still in the very early stages but it's a blast.

11. Rubeus

Rubeus Kobold

But Topher, have you got the game already??
    I signed up for the BETA Key, received the invitation by eMail... Also, I´ve just liked it on FaceBook and made it public on Twitter...
    And nothing... I still haven´t received the key... (mourn... :oops: )...

12. Topher

Topher Kobold

Yes, I got a Beta key. In the invitation I received, it had the key. So I created my account and verified it. I registered to get into the beta long ago though.

13. Darion

Darion Kobold

Hi everyone! Learned about this game a while back and have been following it ever since. Looks amazing so far.

14. Ulong

Ulong Kobold

I'm kind of obsessed with digital card games, really looking forward to trying this.

15. Blazerkin

Blazerkin Kobold

Read about the game in my monthly gaming magazine. Yes, I still get my news from print media because I am literally 90 years old.

Nah, not really, but I did read about it in a mag, thought it looked neat and signed up to the beta, and here I am!

Oh, and the game is fun too I guess.

16. AxeGrinder

AxeGrinder Kobold

Well, hello there! As a fan of roleplaying games and turn-based strategy (although I'm not that great at the latter), I've been paying attention to Cardhunter since I've first read about it through RockPaperShotgun. And now I've signed up in hopes of an eventual beta key and hey presto!

17. Zblugg

Zblugg Kobold

Ahoy!

I'm from Canaduh, and sometimes, when I get me some Internets, I play games.

Pretty stoked to have gotten in this game's Beta test, to be honest. I used to play D&D-like game when I was a kid and teen, and, strangely, I only got to playing the REAL D&D in the last couple of years. Never actually played a card game à la Magic IRL, if you don't count games like Gloom (to only name one).

But this - THIS is quite the little time-killer. I must resist the urge not to play this one at work. (I don't. Resist, I mean.)

See you in MP some day, perhaps!

18. Rhodryn

Rhodryn Kobold

Hello, the names Michael, im from southern Sweden, and im basicly an RPG gamer in general. I choice Warrior.

Started with tabletop figure games in early 96 (WH40K, and over time other stuff from GW as well), shortly followed by Pen and Paper RPG's in early 96 as well (Drakar och Demoner, a Swedish pnp rpg), then in 97 I got into console RPG's (Final Fantasy VII, this game compleatly changed my electronic gaming habbit, from very occational and casual, to higly frequent and extreamely focused for extended amounts of time and hardcore'yish), and then PC RPG's somewhere around 99-01 (with Fallout). So ever since I first found RPG's I have played them, it's the genre I have enjoyed the most, and the genre I probably will always think of as my favorit.

I really enjoy the feeling of a pen and paper rpg, especially the combat, it's the type I tend to look for (but seldomly get during the past 10 or so years, untill the last few years again) when it comes to electronic gaming. That's why Fallout was so importent to me when I found it, because it felt like a pnp rpg to me, so I tend to devour games like that when I find them. I do of course like games like Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights etc, but I never really liked DnD it's self, so I never compleatly got into those games. Part of it is that I generally tend to prefer turnbased combat, because that's typicly what pnp rpg's use. But it was the rulesystem that was the main problem for me, the combat is not realistic enough for my liking, amongst a lot of other things. I prefer by miles the system used in Drakar och Demoner and another Swedish pnp called EON (probably the most advanced and realistic pnp rpg I have ever played when it comes to combat). There are lot's of differences between DnD and DoD/EON, but a main difference would be level based vs skill based system, and that as I said befor... combat in DnD is just basicly not detailed enough for me, its way too simple. Actually most Swedish pnp RPG's are skill based systems, and combat also tends to be of the more advanced type. I remember when a company came out with a new Drakar och Demoner edition some 10+ years ago, it was a level based system (was very simmilar to DnD), the outcry was so huge due to it that the company had to make optional rules for the game so it could be played skill based, and made those additional rules available online for free download, and any subsequent new printing of that rules edition had those optinal skill based rules added. There has since not been a new DoD edition where a level based system was the only option available, if a level bases system was even available at all. XD

A fairly recent game series that I really enjoyed was Dragon Age, I got into that a whole lot more then I ever did BG or NWN... granted one part of the reason was because Bioware was not attached to DnD anymore. ;) I enjoyed the combat in it as well, and liked that the "team based" rpg games have started to come back again. I also REALLY enjoyed the Mass Effect series as a whole (some things here and there that bothered me with each game, but not enough to change my opinion of the games and the series as a whole). I really enjoyed the cinimatic values of those games (it feels like I am playing an interactive movie/tv-series), which is something that stems back to that I really liked the cinematics of most of the asian console rpg's I played and also games like Metal Gear Solid, etc, which had a huge thing for cinematics as well, but also because I do like tv-series and movies as well. ME was of course a bit RPG-lite when it comes to the character creation/upgrading aspect, but it was good enough for what it was.

For console and PC games I have come to accept that what usually works best there is level based systems rather than a skill based one. But I know it is possible to make good skill based games, just a lot harder to make work well without breaking the game. There are also a few examples where a combined level and skillbased system work very well, like the Elder Scrolls series for example, and by association the new versions of Fallout from Bethesda. I do like the new Fallouts, I would still though want a new turnbased Fallout game like ye olden times. If anything XCOM: Enemy Unknown has shown that turnbased combat is still as viable today as it was back in the day. :)

Combat has always been my favorit part of pnp rpg's and rpg's on console and PC. I of course do love a good story (I am a huge Fantasy reader, and also some Sci-Fi as well, and of course tv-series and movies is something I enjoy immensely as well), but if the combat system is bad in the game I find it hard to play the game until the end. The first thing I tend to look at when I check a new pnp rpg after all... is #1 the weapons and armor pages, and #2 the combat rules pages (followed by the character creation system)... XD

So what does all this mean for me with this particular game we are all here to check out? Only that I enjoy PnP RPG's, and I have also always liked the idea of playing PnP RPG's with the help of figures (we just never really did, tried it one time at Gothcon (a Swedish rpg and gaming convention) when I got to play a combination of the 3rd edition of Mech Warrior pnp rpg and one of the editions of the BattleTech figure game... that was awesome). And being somewhat used to level based systems, and simple combat systems due to console and PC gaming, I don't see my self having any problems with this game due to it. Of course I would love to see a skill based system, but that's just a wish I have in general to get to play such a game, not a demand that this particular game has to have it. I have seen about 2 or 3 hours worth of "let's play" of this game, and it's looking like a pretty darn awesome game, one that I can not wait to get to try one of these days. :)

So yeah... that's my wall of text for you... If you got this far... you poor poor soul, what are you doing reading babble like this? XD

Ps: My username, Rhodryn.

It comes from a character in a book series called "The Deverry Cycle". The character is really named Rhodry, without the N at the end. But for some reason I always read it as "Rhodryn" as I was reading the books (I still do actually). Rhodryn sounded better to me then just Rhodry. So anyway, back when me and my friends first encountered PnP RPG's (Drakar och Demoner), and it was time to make a character I made a Knight (because Knights are my favorit Warriors from history, closely followed by Vikings), the chivalrious kind (because I was brought up seeing the 1982 movie Ivanhoe basicly every single year, since it's basicly shown every single year somewhere between christmas and new year in Sweden XD )... I wanted to creat the "ultimate good guy knight", who never does anything wrong willingly or knowingly, would give the enemy one of his weapons if the enemy lost his, etc. And then it was time to name him... and I got stuck, could not think of one. I am notoriously bad at coming up with names for characters, always have been, still am, and always will be. Sometimes it has taken me as long to think of a name for my character as it took me creating the rest of the character. And that's saying a huge amount really, because I am as notorious with taking a huge amount of time creating a character, as I am notorious for taking a really long time thinking of a name. XD Think my record for thinking of a name was like... 3-4 weeks... which was 4-6 game nights into the adventure already. XD The reason it takes me so long sometimes is because to me the name of the character is as importent as the rest of the character. If it does not sound right, does not sound like it fits for the character, then I can't bring my self to use what I came up with, and instead continue to look for the right name for the character.

So after a few days of thinking about a name for my first character, I turned to the only source I could think of for help, Fantasy books. I finally settled on Rhodry because it sounded noble'ish, and I liked the sound of it, but decided to use my version with the N at the end, Rhodryn, since I like it better and to make it atleast slightly my own. As for his last name, I once again turned to fantasy books. I needed a name that rang noble, that fitted with Rhodryn when you said it, etc. And I finaly found it in the Shannara world, the country of Callahorn. And behold, "Rhodryn Callahorn" was born, a wandering knight who did everything he could to help people in need, always did the right thing, keeped his word, etc. To this day that character, Rhodryn Callahorn has been my absolute favorit character on all fronts. I have reused the name on only a few occations in PnP RPG's, but mostly towards the first few years of gaming, in the last 10+ years I only use it online or in console/PC games, and basicly only in connection to fantasy games, and for characters I think of as that ultimate good guy Knight. I have other names I use for Sci-Fi and "Modern day" games instead. I have also become a bit better at not using names from books anymore, and come up with names that are my own creation. Rhodryn Callahorn is basicly me, or atleast the "good part" of me. Because when I play games I always pour my self into the mold of the character, I can't play characters any other way. So for characters who are not that nice or good, maybe even evil, I will pour in those darker sides of me into thos characters. Generally though, when ever I play games, especially on console and PC, I will naturally play a good guy. And even when I decide to play bad or evil in a game, I most of the time suddenly find my self doing good instead anyway. XD

Well yikes... did you really read all of this as well? Im so sorry... *shakes his head, and pats your shoulder* Sorry that I pulled you through all this junk. Try to be more careful in the future... OK? Because... ... "It's a TRAP!" :D

Zblugg likes this.
  19. prox

prox Kobold

Hi everyone, I joined the closed beta last weekend and I'm enjoying almost every bit so far.
    I've played the single player campaign up to the level 11 quests with a pure elven party, here's what I think so far:
    - The overall presentation is far better than most browser games I know, there are hardly any performance issues or stuttering after initial loading is done. The whole concept of the game is beautiful and refreshing different
    - At around level 7, difficulty starts to walk a thin line between being challenging and outright frustrating. Since I do enjoy challenging games (a bad habit I picked up while playing Dark Souls and the Monster Hunter series), this is a welcome change, but I fear this might drive a lot of players away who discard Card Hunter as pay2win instead of stopping for a second to actually think what they are doing. A decent solution could be to offer a "normal" difficulty for quests and an "expert mode" (maybe with higher level restrictions and greater rewards) to adress both types of players.
    - UI interaction for selecting a specific target or just turning your character without moving requires unnecessary precision. This problem could be adressed by making a better visible border around your targets and enlarging the tolerance for target selection. There have been 2-3 games that I blew by accidentaly misclicking and I don't enjoy losing vs. the UI.

To sum things up, thanks for creating this gem among a sea of rather bland CCG browser games. I've played MtG on a somewhat competetive level for around 10 years and been looking for a worthwhile fix. There is some open design space for expanding this game, like a multiplayer campaign, draft/sealed deck mode or raid instances, but I'm sure forum folks who are longer in the beta have elaborated on that already. For the rest of you - see you on the battlefield, and be gentle if you face me in PvP :).

Zblugg likes this.
  20. Rogen Jemi

Rogen Jemi Kobold

Hello forumites!
    Got into the beta last Friday. Burned about 14 hrs. over the weekend. Tycho was right. Way too addicting, this game.
    My constant thought while playing is: this should be a real, physical thing.

About me: from the US, 33, and happily attached.
    Likes: GAMES(all types), peanut butter(esp. in Reese's), Free Stuff, and (as voted) wizards.
    Dislikes: Tedium, Spinach(have yet to eat it without vomiting...), Luxury gas guzzlers(looking straight at you Escalade), and people who are intolerant of others.
    Fun Fact: Circumnavigated the globe at the age of 25. Have not (yet) been to South America, Australia, or Antarctica.

That's enough outta me for now. May your Inspirations always draw Greater Heal!