Legendary find!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Wozarg, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Hexyz

Hexyz Mushroom Warrior

I was going to ask if "only 10 damage" was good or not. I haven't played yet but in my experience with these types of games, 10 damage can be a huge number.

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

It's part of a larger discussion we've had repeatedly. The greatest damage a single card can deal in the beta is 17, and of course you don't get too many of those. This means that, by basic rules of progression, most cards you use from start to finish of the beta will do half or less of that damage (below 10). And this is a strategy game, so every single point of damage matters, and 1 damage (or 1 Armor or 1 Heal) is often the difference between winning and losing.

But not everyone approaches such games the same, which leads to two sorts of issues. First is that people think "maximum damage" equals "winning" (or, worse, "strategy"), and of course that's an incomplete understanding.

Second is that people think the game is impossible because the enemies are "stronger" than the player. The most recent example was the person concerned about not having any attacks (aside from Violent Overswing) that do damage above 5, and I responded explaining how neither does anyone else at that point in the game, but we beat the enemies anyway.

However, this is getting off-topic. I hesitated to go into it because I didn't know how much was relevant. It is, of course, perfectly true that Violent Overswing has a nasty downside, and I'd like to see this dynamic fleshed out more in the game: lots of cards have "drawbacks," but Violent Overswing is kinda by its lonesome. Many people might avoid it as a sort-of cursed card.

Hexyz likes this.
  3. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Its over half a elf wizards hp at lvl 18 but its less than a third of a dwarf warriors hp at lvl 18 the problem with the card they are talking about is that the drawback is pretty massive.

That said the drawback is as good as always worth it when your average attack is less than half of that but worse as you get closer to 10 with your attacks.

Hexyz likes this.
  4. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

10 damage for each card in the suite is what makes it amazing. i dont see powerful hack or obliterating chop on 6 cards in a suite

5. Shoat

Shoat Kobold

"Blue" is old MMO slang for rare items, because that level of rarity usually had the name of the item colored blue (Also applies to this game, "Rare" items have a blue item name).

And yes, considering the hefty drawback of Violent Swing, 10 damage is not much (My previous way of phrasing it was a bit odd, sorry).

Just in comparison to some weapons I'm using, one of them is marked as "common" and still has two 7 damage step attacks and four 11 damage attacks and another is a level 6 weapon that requires no talents and has three fiery stabs (6 damage and 3 damage burn for two turns), Mindless Aggression seems very lackluster.
    I wouldn't spend my first few talent points on it early on because there are safer options and I wouldn't waste the weapon slot on it now at a high level because common weapons are outright better in every way.

6. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

Zoorland likes this.
  7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Be honest chest or not?

8. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

Not! :D I did buy pizza. Although, I have not spent even a single slice on chest(s)!

It was the last encounter of an adventure, I think it was Rescue From Shieldhaven Prison.

9. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I got a pair of legendary boots from my win number 20 chest very meh for a brown talent but still orange :p

10. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

Yeah, well I know the feeling of at least it's orange. I got a legendary TREASURE from my win number 20 chest just now, :eek: Dwarven Panatellas.

Edited: Thanks, Sir Knight! I updated it and will keep that in mind for future reverence to items vs cards!

11. Sir Knight

Why is anybody disappointed by getting Legendary Treasure? Why? Why, I ask overdramatically for comedic effect?

I'd love to get those. Solid gold. And even if they weren't, just imagine how much you'll be able to trade for one of those once player-to-player trading goes in. There will be lots of folks trying to "collect the whole set," and since you don't seem to want your imported possibly-illegal Dwarven Panatellas, you'd easily be able to trade for the Legendary you do.

(Note: you want the "item" code for these things, not the "card" code.)

Lance and Kodi like this.
  12. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Legendary Brother! I just found the same on the first map of RDP. Equipped it right away. Didn't draw even one of the cards from the set in the remaining four maps. :p

Lance likes this.
  13. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

For we are Brothers of Legend!
    Also, for being a level 1 item, it's a great one to start with.

I also just snagged an Advanced Insight.

14. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

15. Sir Knight

I finally got my first Legendary item since the reset, and it's a Fine Brass Toupee! Um. Well, in another world, maybe one COULD use this as a helmet?

Jon likes this.
  16. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

17. Bjornel

Bjornel Kobold

I had found the Unholy Nimbus
    I am not sure where though.

18. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

19. Shoat

Shoat Kobold

20. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

You know, I know this and yet I still forget to use the correct one! :D But thanks for the reminder.