[League] Wicked Waterways

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Kalin, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

This is what I used this morning, and it gave me first place in my pod (my only loss was to someone who had no idea what he was getting into).

Digger
    Level 18 Dwarf Warrior

Kilava Onass
    Level 18 Dwarf Wizard

Grind Dwa Wiz 2
    Level 8 Dwarf Wizard

2. HD23

HD23 Orc Soldier

I am Whirlwind (And So Can You!)
    4-0

Jaina
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

The Shockmaster
    Level 18 Elf Warrior

Sir Stabsalot
    Level 7 Elf Warrior

3. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

i used somethign similar, but my wars where both dwarvs with alot of reliable mails, since iwas predicting alot of firestorm.it helped alot

4. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I focused on actually capturing VPs, or else surviving until my opponent lost on time. Martyr's Blessing was amazing against firestorm, to ensure that I kept drawing enough heal and armor. Accelerated Thought and Bless were also important for card advantage. Whirlwind was great for getting out of a bad spot when my opponent was playing whirls + warriors. Since most builds tried to use Flight Aura instead of Teleport Self, Firestorm was also great as for removing that armor without line of sight.

I won 5 of 5 matches played, against a variety of styles and ratings.

PaladinGP likes this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I didn't get to play in the latest one (I finally had to sleep after playing six leagues in a row), but I 4-0'd my pod in the first WW league with a hybrid FS-Control deck.

Basically, load up on armor and FS. Team Heal and Martyr's Blessing. Pack some SPR in case enemies luck into proximity. My priest was similar to neoncat's 2nd priest.

6. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

After some tweakings, I finally have a version I like. Made 4-0 today against different kinds of deck.

Here is what I played: 2 Human Wizards wearing the same things and a Human Priest.

Human Wizzards

Wallbuilder's Staff
    Trog Melter
    Emerald Circlet x3
    Cerulean Amulet
    Imp-proof Robes
    Vira's Shoes
    Advanced Flexibility
    Electroporter Initiate

Explanations:
    Wallbuilder's Staff is there mostly for Wall Of Stone. If you can't take the Victory Square, it can prevent the Opponant to have it for two turns. Also, if not mostly, if your Wizz is on the Victory Spot, play it on 3 of the 4 squares around you. It will stop the line of sight of ennemy mages and will prevent melees (or anyone else) from getting next to your mage.

Trog Melter: Trembling Staff would appear to be best choice for a tokenless staff but with the high chances of encountering a team of firestormers, you can't afford to have any combustile in your deck. You win a firestorm war by having more armors then the opponant, hence the trog melter.

Emerald Circlet and its minor token version Cerulean Amulet: Whirldwind + Teleport Self. I don't think I need to explain the usefulness of those.

Imp-proof Robes: Initially I was using Robe of Tempest. I decided to switch for a tokenless armor. This way I get more armors and I could have the extra token for the W.staff.

Vira's Shoes: at first I was playing the minor token shoes with 2 Immovables. Happened that a dead immovable mage isn't very useful. More Armors! And specificly against mages.

Advanced Flexibility: In my SP farming team, I have 3 human wizz with this item and it works pretty well. Let you look faster for the item you need (a Resistant Hide or a Teleport Self or else). One Leadership is kinda like drawing 4. This is the reason why I play 3 humans.

Electroporter Initiate: for the self teleport.

Human Priest

Feathergod Bladex 2
    Spellthwart Shield
    Battered Holy Mail
    Greenguard Boots
    Hrillia's Healing Ringx 2
    St. Bethan's Charm
    Advanced Flexibility
    Trained Cleansing

This one is kinda random. The priest needs to have so many things and he just can't. He needs:
    -Healing: Team Heal and Help The Weak are the best choices as they don't need any line of sight.
    -Stone Feet to help a wizz staying on the victory square against all those Whirlwinds. Note: if you play aginst neoncat, you don't need those.
    -Purge cards to remove an immovable attachment off an ennemy so that you can whirlwind him and get back the spot.
    -Armors: caus firestorms.

Jacques likes this.
  7. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I just finished my first Wicked Waterways league, and I have to say thatI enjoyed it a lot. It was a great change of pace, since the other free-build league, Chess Madness, is more similar to what we see in normal mp (mf, ns, ww, etc.)
    I got first place with this team, won 9 of 10, which was surprising because I was kind of experimenting, since I didn't want to make another FS build, and I put some of the new cards on my party. It's a 1-1-1 team, which I hadn't used in ages.
    The idea basically is to put Wings Of Faith in my warrior, so that he can reach the VP. That's the priest's main job, but he has some mf and healing as well. The warrior has some medium-damage attacks and lots of movement cards, so that if you get ww/wwe you can go back to the vp or go after another guy. He's human, as I think it's the perfect balance between movility and hp in this map (that's if you play with wings of Faith, of course, if you just use FS a dwarf may be better). The wizard has the traditional ww/wwe, but I tried to use them only in case of emergency. In fact, I won some matches without using them entirely. He also has some Fireballs which helped a lot, since it's a bit difficult to get in los with a wizard in this map.
    Here it is:

Ogriok
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

Kazadlok
    Level 20 Dwarf Priest

Kamil
    Level 12 Human Warrior

Note: in one of my epic chests I received Eixtl's Winged Mail, so I will probably put that one as my priest's divine armor, and change one of the Blackhammers for one Healing Hand Mace

8. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Oh ya forgot to talk about the Wings of Faith for the priest. Obvisouly needed for his mobility. After some tests I ended playing none caus I didn't have any item with a better ratio then 1 wings for a token. But if you have the Golden Wings or else don't hesitate to play it.

9. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Last time I played this league, my warrior kept drawing Obliterating Bludgeon, Flight Aura, and Walk and couldn't reach any other islands, much less my opponents. (And if I wanted to save my Walk and Flight, I had to discard my attacks.) So I decided to give her a bunch more movement: I replaced Trained Crushing with Savvy Attacker, then dropped the Warrior's Mace for Dangerous Club (from last night's league reward) to free a token for Slippery Shield. Result: 3 wins, just like every other time I've played this league.:p

11. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Today, as I had already won my pod with my 1-1-1 team, I took out the wizard and put another priest (the 2 or them human) to experiment, dispite I don't have a 2nd Golden Wing, so I had to get it from other not so efficient items. And I have to say that the build worked really well. With two priest with a good amount of Wings Of Faith, 5 or 6 traits for cycling (3 of them being Altruism that lets you draw more cards), plus some Leadership, you have a very good chance of drawing at least one Wings per turn.
    Also, I added one Flight Aura and one Teleport Self for my warrior, so that even if my two priests get killed (never happened, but you have to be prepared for anything) he still has the chance to get to the VP.
    Above all, I'm happy that it worked because it was much more fun than playing with the traditional ww/wwe or FS builds for this map. I will post later this new build here.

12. Ector

Ector Hydra

This is my favorite map; I've won it twice and even used the remaining league time to farm the Rare chests :)
    My build was my usual Firestorm with some devious tweaks like double Bless, Inspiring Presence and Savage Curse. I also had some Dissolve Armors, which none of my opponents anticipated :) I've lost only to Tuknir, who had a special anti-FS party with tons of armor.
    I didn't have a lot of flying and teleporting cards; some players had too much of them: they could capture the victory area, but couldn't do anything else :) Actually, capturing the victory area versus two wizards is very dangerous, as they have a full assortment of deadly spells. With my card advantage, I usually got at least one Teleport Self (from various items), and my cleric got Winged Track Shoes :)

The Master (Human Priest)
    Blackhammer - mainly for Wings Of Faith, though Impetuous Heal was very effective too.
    Blessed Club - I don't have better tokenless weapons alas...
    Snitrick's Shield - the best tokenless shield for this party. You are below half health very often :)
    Holy Knight Armor - essential for the build. Firestorm doesn't even attach to you, and Holy Armor provides decent healing over time.
    Winged Track Shoes - two Flight Aura that even doubles as a mediocre armor. What's not to like? I was able to hunt for the enemy wizards several times :)
    St. Ulrich's Bones * 2 - the ultimate stuff. Bless is totally OP here for ANY build. Martyr's Blessing can be important when you're going for the victory area.
    Skull Of Savage Iljin - my "secret tech". Uber-powerful and brutal. Helps to burn through enemy armor, generally kills the unprepared wizards in a few turns.
    Advanced Flexibility - the dream skill for this party. Leadership helps to find Resistant Hide, Slowed is almost meaningless.
    Canny Healer - Accelerated Thought for one wizard + two traits.

Freya (Dwarf Wizard) - the burninator
    Staff Of Embers - burn baby burn! I wish I had more copies. Ember Burst often allows you to hit somebody while remaining out of LOS yourself.
    Staff Of The Inferno - two more Ember Burst, two Firestorms. Yes, it's risky but tokenless.
    Morbo's Pendant - both Teleport Self and Firestorm.
    Wym's Fiery Pin - mostly a Firestorm here.
    Penteth's Orb - Firestorm + Reflexive Teleport that also opens a way to the victory area.
    Brin's Storm Locket - uber powerful. I wish a lot of them :)
    Firehide Robes - obviously.
    Greenguard Boots - mostly for Teleport Self, but the trait is welcome too.
    Advanced Stoutness - pure gold here! Absorbing Block always gets you 8 health, Hit The Deck's drawback is usually meaningless.
    Focused Pyromancy - burn faster!

Odin (Dwarf Wizard) - the supporter
    Sulphiric Staff - four Dissolve Armors.
    Charring Staff - two Ember Bursts + various assorted doom for the enemy at the victory area :)
    Sky Locket - Teleport Self, and the rest cards were useful too in various situations.
    Larkin's Orb - used at the last stage to defeat enemies.
    Morbo's Pendant - both Teleport Self and Firestorm. I wish I had more of them, but currently I have only two.
    Gaudekki's Orb - nice tokenless Firestorm item.
    Rockshard Robes - should be Firehide Robes of course, but I don't have the second copy :(
    Bertha's Big Clogs - tokenless armored boots.
    Advanced Stoutness - see above.
    Molten Pyromancy - nice tokenless skill.