[League] Death March Peasantries

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Robauke, May 12, 2016.

1. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I read some complaints that success at Death March is very item driven. Those worries, legit or not, made me throw together a peasant build (uncommon / common items only) that should be able to deal with the stuff you will face the most in this league nowadays.
    I had two test matches against seemingly serious opponents relying on terrain, control and direct damage, - 1400 and 1500 elo - and won both early. The setup is focussed on countering casters and barriers, but you still got the means to give other pure melee teams a fight. I invite you to post your own tweaks, rehauls and full builds within the peasant limitations.

Irenicus
    Level 99k Elf Priest

Feathergod Maul - Stone feet are key.
    Feathergod Maul - Also solid dmg/control should melee fighting take over.
    Mail Of Succor - Some restoring from afar
    Twisting Shield - Just out of habit. Maple shield may be anti-caster
    Possessed Shoes - If barriers arise, most moves are shuffles anyway. Alternatively armor the priest up with glimmer.
    Blackglass Token - Cleansing opens the way.
    Blackglass Token - Unholy Wellspring brings the pain.
    Righteous Tome - Good tokenless altruism item, but exchangeable.
    Advanced Evasion - 2 cards aimed at making your approach unstoppable.
    Untrained Piety - The usual tokenless choice for a pupeteer priest.
    2 x Bash
    2 x Purging Burst
    1 x Cautious Sneak
    2 x Altruism - among the most powerful mechanics peasant has to offer
    1 x Immovable
    1 x Slippery
    2 x Pushback Parry
    2 x Cleansing Burst
    2 x Righteous Frenzy - Underappreciated Frenzy
    1 x Hard To Pin Down
    2 x Unholy Wellspring
    1 x Dynamic Armor
    2 x Boosted Heal - Comparable to armor, allows you to restore retreated allies
    4 x Stone Feet - Often forgotten, this adds failsafe armor.
    2 x Devastating Blow - some anti-armor capacity
    2 x Help The Weak
    1 x Shuffle
    1 x Skip
    2 x Pressing Bash
    1 x Defensiveness
    1 x Elvish Scamper - Very good to switch positions
    1 x Inspiration
    2x
    Serenade
    Level 99k Elf Warrior
    Bejeweled Shortsword - Look at Brawling Laser against trait heavy teams
    Dagger - moves are very valuable and Wellspring ups the damage.
    Opaline Hammer - Some pressing bash usually comes in handy.
    Solid Mail - Simply good amor
    Heavy Wooden Shield - Makes a nice team with Opaline.
    Energetic Helmet - Quick reactions are very strong in DM.
    Boots Of Safety - close in no matter what.
    Advanced Evasion - Key item for this build
    Novice Bruising - Standard choice, Buffs Opaline.
    2 x Bruiser
    3 x Powerful Hack
    2 x Hardy Mail
    2 x Simple Bash
    1 x Bludgeon
    1 x Quick Reactions
    1 x Slippery
    2 x Lunging Hack
    1 x Flimsy Block - Anti Purge / Control
    1 x Elvish Scamper
    2 x Vicious Thrust
    1 x Teleport Self
    3 x Lunging Thrust
    2 x Bash
    1 x Healing Dash
    1 x Skip Use it to close in, cantrip style.
    1 x Telepod Jaunt
    2 x Parry
    1 x Dancing Cut
    2 x Pressing Bash
    1 x Mail
    2 x Rushing Aura - you only need it once anyway
    1 x Powerful Bludgeon

Bejeweled Shortsword to Brawling Laser
    Energetic Helmet to Trainee's Cap
    Dagger to Itotia Blade.
    Tweaks for the Priest:
    Armor Of Cleasing for even more anti-terrain.
    Righteous Tome to Withering Tome
    (a gamble to make the warriors stronger. Best, demonic revenge may trigger the boosted heals)​

How to play this? Obviously you dont rush in before you got some stone on your feet and damage to deal. Nuff said.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

Interesting

3. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

Elvish Scamper sounds like a good idea. But my League standings suggests your build does not work (see below). Perhaps you could post an update as to whether or not you still believe this build works?

robauke_peasant.png

4. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

Im not sure he sticks same build, possibly atm he tries some crazy one.

5. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

Retire a winning DM build after just 2 games sounds more crazy to me. But I guess we wait for the update.

6. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Goo and our seemingly weak-eyed bypasser are both right. (someone give the poor guy an option for bigger font).
    I played 2 more matches with variations of the posted build, looking to tighten things up. I got subdued by other melee teams twice, both relying on card draw on damage - something that asks for a purge upgrade and more anti-armor capacities then just big damage. But this setup means to harass the most common thing, terrain/barrier casters, and that works pretty well. Seeing you are interested in this and got the patience to play so many games on death march, feel free to design something more fitting to what you experience are the main challenges there. Its fun to work with more humble gear. But whoever adapts this should ofc upgrade to better items whenever hes able to.
    I already edited in some optional concessions against melee into the OP after the losses yesterday.

The other games i ran bad luck rocket dash. That one is a winner on the entertainment front. Still need 2 more nightforge plates.

7. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

Posting builds after 2 games, claiming success, then moving onto the next...? Now I have doubts about the other builds you have posted. Until now I considered them tier-1.

I would post my build but it is probably less than 50% win ratio even after 50 games or so. I don't consider that a success. But each to their own.

trrst and Potatus like this.
  8. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

You have mistaken this thread fundamentally, it is a hub for sharing easily rebuildable strategies in the Death March league.
    Seeing you feel unable to contribute i'll have to ask you to delete your 2 previous posts to avoid that the actual brainstorming is buried under your offtopic clutter.
    I'll do the same with this post once youre done.

9. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

It's best that this thread read your peasant build is 50% successful after 4 games. Losses are equally as on-topic as the wins. So I will not be deleting anything. But thanks for your honesty.

10. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

My takeaway is that you'll have a hard time countering wide-spread strategies with a peasent build, so it still might be more promising to focus on the most prominent type instead of softening the team up.
    That said, the deck shared to start things off was and is a rough sketch quickly build around a few available keycards, those being stone feet and elvish scamper. Most of the priests setup is open for remodeling and so is the weaponry plus armor, but the key idea already should give you a fighting chance.Which by no ends implies that i claim to present a dominating build.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Keep it civil, guys. :)

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  12. c4rnivean

c4rnivean Orc Soldier

I'd love to see any viable build that doesn't use illusion or phantom pain. I've got almost all the epics but it seems like everything is about those 2 legendaries in DM.

13. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

I've seen enough counters for barrier-based builds, like rocket/teleport, smoke+melee and volc. I saw they successful. Also i saw win of heavy armor based immovable vp tank.

14. c4rnivean

c4rnivean Orc Soldier

Actually I use a rocket/teleport, smoke+melee build so pardon me for doubting that. And volc seems worse in this league than usual because everyone has smoke/barrier etc.