Karen's Clubhouse adventure

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by tolkien, Oct 28, 2017.

1. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Another idea I have for the next single player expansion would be to have Karen be the DM and have the board be the same, make your own board style from the Morvin expansion.

Monsters would include Fairies, Unicorns, Edible Bears, Tiny Ponies, and maybe the bandit. Hopefully, one could mostly use art that Blu Manchu already has: the unicorn from the end adventure screen, tiny ponies could be represented by the old pack mule emulio, fairies would of course be represented by your favorite fairy ever, the loot one, just slightly augment umber bulks for edible bears.

There are a bunch of unimplemented cards that could be used with one or two brand new cards added as well:
    http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/unimplemented-cards.10925/
    attractive, blaze, crippling slash, fate reversal, block link, charmed block, pact of healing, launching blow, parrying cut, smoke bomb, sticky bomb (change to mud bomb.)

Plus put in Terrifying visage, Clear Mind, Disengage Soldiers, Scout's Vigil, and Trailblazer.
    http://forums.cardhunter.com/thread...ake-the-card-part-4-card-effect.10260/page-10

Plus you would have to put in Rainbow Power. Heal 10 all adjacent allies. Melee Piercing 10 all adjacent enemies. Double Rainbow, Oh my gosh!

Storyline could be something like...Karen got tired of waiting for Blu Manchu to release the next expansion and so she made her own with rainbows, unicorns and fairies.

2. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    PULSEFIRE and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  3. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Or, we could bring in a female consultant to help us bring in some XX chromosomal people into the game.
    What about Cardhuntrian Fashion Week?
    Card Ideas: Wardrobe Malfunction, Acrylic Nails, Prehensile Hair, Long Beard, Confusing Tattoo, Stilletto Heels, Caught Cape, Nylon Run, Runway Strut, Coordination, Avantgarde, Heavy Makeup, Captivating.

4. Mr. Magnifico

Mr. Magnifico Thaumaturge

One of the things that I liked right away about CH was its refreshing lack of sexism. It's certainly present as a story element -- Gary is surprised Karen would be into Card Hunter -- but we should know better than Gary did. And, of course, he learns better in the course of the story. Mom, along with the shadowy Amy, are erstwhile AI opponents in multiplayer. Karen's lassiez-faire DM-ing style contrasts favorably with Melvin's rules-lawyering.

Women are also solidly represented in the game's figures, equipped to adventure rather than pose for a swimsuit issue of Mauve Manticore. (Anyway, I can't see editor Mary Myrax publishing one). In isolation the human wizard in the slit dress would be a red flag, but CH shows us a spectrum of femininity that also includes the space-suited dwarf warrior and the no-nonsense elf wizard. In this context, presenting herself as a sex object is one choice among many, rather than the default for female characters. Speaking of defaults, you see a lot of female figures in matches, because four of the nine default figures are female. That's a bit less than half, a ratio that (disappointingly) carries over to the overall number of female figures relative to male ones. Still, the game sends an implicit message that, unlike Gary, we should find female CH players and characters wholly unsurprising.

I would humbly suggest to you that adding cards like "Wardrobe Malfunction", "Stiletto Heels", and "Runway Strut" would send the unwelcome message that "normal" players and characters are male and that women are "special" creatures there chiefly to titillate them. This seems like a good way to make CH into something Karen and most other "XX chromosomal people" wouldn't touch with a 10-foot collapsible pole.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  5. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Thanks for your thoughtful input. I too appreciate the approach Blu Manchu have taken regarding representing women. I appreciated the touches women brought to the early games launch and I'm wondering out loud what their input would be to have an expansion with a feminine flavor too it.
    If it appears to you that I fail to understand how women might be interested in this game...you would be correct.
    I've only interacted with two women that I know of here on cardhunter in my years of playing: @Fyra and @FinalCheetah . So I assume this is a mostly male client base but I'd love for blu manchu staff to chime in here and set me straight.
    If my suggestions seem belittling to women, I apologize. I was merely trying to interact in a tongue-in-cheek way with some tropes from my presumptions of the feminine experience. I merely desire this to be a game equally enjoyed by both genders and featuring the best suggestions a feminine player can contribute to the continuation of the game.
    For what its worth, I have had wardrobe malfunctions as a male and have even done a little runway strut in my day so I was working up from my masculine experience.