Jump Back possibly has wrong card colors?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by LightPhoenix, Jan 21, 2013.

1. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

I'm looking at Jump Back on the Coward's Shield. It's colored blue/orange, however the effect requires a roll. I haven't as of yet seen any traits that require a roll. Since the card is Kept, this suggests to me that it's supposed to be an armor versus a trait, even though it's on a shield (usually blocks). Although it has the trait star icon, I believe this should be colored blue/grey as an armor instead.

EDIT: It also does not appear to have the Trait keyword.

2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

The orange part refers to a boost, the dice roll is a reaction roll to being targeted. There is no armor reduction, nor does it block the attack...I think that's why its classed as a boost. I'm confused by these hybrid cards especially move/boost. The Dodge card has similar quirks.

I see 2 interpretations:
    a) the reaction triggers after targeting and the dice roll for successful damage evasion...or
    b) the dice roll determines if the reaction triggers AND damage evasion.

Nice mechanics but smthg's off..

3. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I've been trying to test this card, but can't get it to draw into a hand and then get the opportunity to use it.

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

To try and answer:
    I believe the colors make sense. "The effect requires a roll" has no impact here: see Defensiveness, below. If you mouse over the "star icon," it says it boosts you; it says nothing about being a trait. (Technically, it says "boosts your attack"; kinda funny in some circumstances.)

You have the choice to use the card as a Move, or keep it in your hand and wait for the effect to trigger. Blue/orange. So we all can see this, lemme copy a couple cards (including Dodge, since it was mentioned):

Jump Back
    [Corner]Move 1
    [Box]When targeted by an enemy Attack, Move back 2. Keep.
    [Corner]Roll 3+

Dodge
    [Corner]Move 2
    [Box]When targeted by an enemy Attack, Move 1. Keep.
    [Corner]Roll 4+

Blue/move clearly belongs thanks to the top box (which is empty except for the move 1 or 2 in the corner). For the rest, well, I can't see anything other than orange/boost: other orange cards include the delightful Enlarge (not a trait), which changes spell dynamics; Simian Reflexes (not a trait), which gives you card draw when attacked; and Bash (not a trait), which is an attack and also modifies other attacks. Cards like Jump Back and Dodge change attack and movement dynamics. And they neither have "armor values" nor are they ignored by "penetrating," so they really aren't armor.

And if you're surprised by "traits requiring rolls" (though Jump Back isn't one), Defensiveness has a roll:

Defensiveness
    [Box]Trait. Attach this card to yourself. Duration 2.
    [Box]When you play a Magic card, if an Enemy is within 3 squares, cancel that card. Keep.
    [Corner]Roll 3+
    Someone targets you -> the die rolls -> on success, you move -> if you are now out of range, the attack fails completely; if not, you are injured as normal.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

Thanks for clearing it up SK. I'm not far enough along in the game to have seen most of those cards. The only orange cards I've seen to my recollection are traits, so I guess I associate orange with traits versus boosts (which I would have thought were white).

EDIT: I think adding to my addled state is, if I recall correctly, the first time you encounter an orange card is usually because of a trait. The "trait" tutorial pops up, creating a link between the two. Which is silly, because I've seen the black arcane one that isn't a trait.

6. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Orange cards are "boosts", although I don't think Gary explains that anywhere. The confusion between Traits (must play, draw a card to replace), which cards containing the trait keyword and boosts, which are a card type is very understandable and I'll think more about how we might clarify that relationship.

7. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

related to Jump Back:

Klong weakly strikes EW_test1
    (unknown actor) tries to jump back…
    but fails!
    EW_test1 took 2 Crushing damage.

Klong weakly strikes EW_test1
    EW_test1 raises a weak arm to block the attack…
    but fails!
    (unknown actor) tries to jump back…
    *and succeeds!*
    EW_test1 moved.
    EW_test1 reacts!

8. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I'm not sure what the problem is. Are you pointing out the missing text issue at "(unknown actor)"?

9. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Bingo ! :)