item/gold management hints and tips

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by piotras, Sep 23, 2013.

1. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

First of all - Hi people! Started playing a few days ago and I love the game. GJ BM!

I'm just lvl 9 and I'm wondering how to efficiently sell my loot in the long term, especially after I've learned that the items in the shop are there temporarily and the stock changes..

I thought of waiting out on buying equipment until I go through the campaign and see if I've got anything that might work together, but maybe I'll be missing out by not going through my shop on regular basis (and buying the good stuff, just in case)?

In terms of selling things (besides treasures, which I sell asap), I'm low level and have a handful of legendary/epic/rare items so I'm a bit scared of selling my common/uncommon stuff since their still the backbone of my equipment/deck. Any hints on how to make money on the regular stuff without screwing up? Is it just a matter of time before I'll be swimming in this stuff?

Also, is joining multiplayer at this stage a worthy alternative to get some influx of loot? I assume it's not (i.e. I definitely lack the equipment and skills yet, I guess it's dominated by veterans/people that finished the campaign already)?

By the way, I quite early decided to throw some money at BM and bought the club + treasure hunt deal and I can see it was not a bad idea. Any clues on how to use that efficiently? The guaranteed epics are on the first play-through so I guess it doesn't make such a big difference after all?

Anyway, thanks in advance. Please share any other hints and tips relating to gold/items you can think of :)

2. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

My strong suggestion is to not sell anything other than treasure until you have a complete set of it (ie could equip every relevant slot on all 3 characters with it). The amount of gold you get from selling non-treasure items is just not worth the risk that you sell something useful (along with the time you spend selling them). MINOR SPOILER: at some point you will likely want some items that you generally wouldn't use.

I'd recommend looking in the stores, if for no other reason than to get a better sense for what items are out there. It will probably be hard for you to judge at this point which items will be worthwhile for MP, but that is what this thread is for.

There's nothing wrong with jumping into MP at any point, since you'll be matched against people with similar ratings. However, playing through the campaign first will help you increase that rating (particularly playing the treasure hunts, since you bought them along with club membership).

3. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

I agree with Keyser, selling any stuff is risky and shouldn't be done.

Rares+ will be usefull at some point when you might least expect it. Some Commons and Uncommons might not see use, but you'll get very little out of them, and there's plenty of very good commons, so sorting that whole pile for just few gold isn't worth it.

Joining MP works great once you get the free starter deck via singleplayer campaign. Getting 1, or maybe 3, wins a day should be quite easy before your ratings gets "too" high.

4. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

thanks for the advice!

5. palebear

palebear Kobold

I'd say that it's pretty safe selling off skill cards if you already have three copies...

6. dmar314

dmar314 Goblin Champion

Here are some strategies I use for gold management:
    1. Don't buy items that are more expensive than the base cost. The base cost is 5 for commons, 25 for uncommons, 100 for rares, 500 for epics and 2500 for legendaries. If the item level is greater than the character level, the items can be vastly more expensive. Once your campaign characters are level 18, all items will be base price. If I see a great rare I want that's higher level than my character, I'll play extra campaign to level them up so I can save hundreds of gold (all nighter! heh)
    2. Don't sell gear items until you have a "playset" of them. Which is three copies of a racial/class skill/shield, 9 copies of a weapon/divine item, 6 copies of a divine weapon, etc.
    3. Wait on buying commons and uncommons unless you think that you are going to use them immediately or very soon, since chances are you'll get them in a pvp chest at some point and you'll save 25 gold. There are exceptions for a few uncommon cards that are useful in large numbers for certain strategies (such as demonic charm of the second circle, or cards that have winds of war on them).
    4. It's just a matter of time before you'll get epic treasures in the gold pvp chests, then you'll have a good sum of gold to save up for choice rares and epics in randimar's rarities. Once Gary has given you the free starter pack in multiplayer it's a good idea to get at least the first one to three chests.

Keyser likes this.