Instant Burn - Help me out

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Scarponi, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Ector

Ector Hydra

You're building an Instant Burn character, so you need more than 3 Instant Burns. Don't bother about the range, think about the damage :) The best staff configuration is two Red Flames or White Flame + Staff of a Million Embers, which are the same (6 IB + 6 EB for 2Y 2B tokens).

An Instant Burn wizard should have as many burning spells as he can to maximize effectiveness of the IB, since the IB works only for his attachments. You should also try to have different attacks, since you cannot attach two copies of the same card. Thus, it would be great to move all non-burning spells to the other wizard. While Rantic's Orb of Inner Fire and Boxton's Red Pendant are good, they aren't the best items for this build. The best items are: Miligar's Dragon Tongue, Wym's Fiery Bangle, Avakiria's Cup and Smoag's Bucket Of Pitch (in this order, since Flame Jet is generally better than Glob Of Flame).
    Zero-token items are even more hard to get. Actually, there is only one dedicated item: Azgul's Orb, and I need two of them, currently having none :( For now, I am using Brim's Storm Locket, which is decent, and Chartwell's Ring, which is much worse.

Forceful Robes is a mistake IMHO, since you're getting two weak non-burning attacks that you may never need. Firehide Robes is a good choice, but I choose Emberfloat Mantle, since I want to reduce my deck with Hover, and lower the number of Firestorms down to 5 (it isn't as good as it was, you know). I also believe that the enemy warriors represent larger threat than the enemy wizards, so I value Sparkling Cloth Armor higher than Resistant Hide (I may be wrong here though). As for the boots, I really think that you should take the tokenless, since the token should be spent on arcane items instead. Jade303 took Garalem's Boots, my choice are Red Jon's Boots.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. Ector

Ector Hydra

A nice wizard and very close to my own one (with some differences due to the available items, of course). IMHO, you direly need to get some more Flame Jets, since it will increase your chances of kicking off the enemy attachments, which is one of the goals of this build. You may even remove Impenetrable Nimbus with some help of your team this way!
    I believe that Berian's Locket isn't appropriate to this build, since Stone Spikes have no synergy with Instant Burn. If you don't have the better burning items, Orb Of Flames or Scorching Wand are going to be better IMHO. If you don't like them, take Blasting Amulet: two Force Cannons will greatly increase your chances vs. warriors.

Could you please share their decks too? I've always planned this team as two wizards and one priest: a burning wizard, an electro/support wizard and a savage priest with Savage Curses :cool: It would be great to compare the teams.

3. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I agree on the forceful robes I switched it out to firehide for now as I dont have much in the way of FS items. I still think 3 IB is enough as I want to max out the attacks not the IBs. Of course I have a LOT of testing to do before deciding. The build which I mapped out (but not committed to yet as I still need to buy the Red Flame, which I am still considering) Has the Red Flame, Roaring Staff, Rantic's, Boxton's Magma Spiral, Gaudekki's Orb, Frehide, Perfect Toughness, 3 Firestarter trait, and I haven't decided on boots, but they have to be tokenless, probably Bertha's clogs or boots of discretion.
    This gives me 3 sizzling bolts, 3 Ember Burst, 3 Flame Spit, 3 Globs of Flame, 2 Flame Jets, 3 Magma Spray, 3 firestorms and 3 IB with 3 Firestarters. S very little worry about being stuck with too many of 1 attack and a full set of different ranged attacks. I am stuck with 1 zap and 1 trip (if I use boots of dis) but otherwise I think it is pretty tight (especially considering I dont have any of the burning triples (e.g. Miligar's tongue)).

4. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

You could always test it out on the test server getting exactly the items you need with the cheat commands. You may not get an exact feel for how it would be play in normal MP, but you could get a feel for how the deck plays.

Sir Veza likes this.
  5. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I thought of that but decided that I need to just go for it as I was pretty convinced the Red Flame would be great. Since I obviously dont have a second Red Flame and limited burning arcane items I am trying to max out with what I have (although a second Rantic's is staring at me in Randimar's).
    Last night I went with a Roaring Staff which I liked (I like Sizzling Bolt for the range now that FS is no longer global) in a 1-1-1 party with a damage focused warrior and a buffing priest. But I have thought of going back to the Staff Of The Fire God as it gives another Instant Burn 2 Fireballs but it also has Magma Spray which I dont really need on a staff. The third possibility is to use one of the 1 token Legendary IB staves IGNEOUS SCORCHSTAFF or Overheated Staff which will load up on the IB but leaves me less other attacks, even if they would open up a yellow token(majortoken) which I could use a few different ways (Sliding Boots, 2nd Rantic's Orb Of Inner Fire which I like as it has armor destruction which I need with only 1 mage). Well I will see how it develops.
    Thanks for the thought.