In search of Abandonware

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aeryon, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

Hi guys! I have finally figured out how to use DOSBOX and have found a few cool abandonware sites. Question is... what to play.

Knowing that you guys are as excited as I am to play CardHunter, I can't help but wonder that we all share a somewhat similar taste in games. Here is my question, I am looking for a fun, dungeon crawler I can get for a free from an old abandonware site while waiting for a few new releases to come out.

Any recommendations?

Here are a few of the abandonware sites:
    http://www.abandonia.com/en
    http://www.hotud.org/

2. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Not abandonware, but have a look at Desktop Dungeons

Otherwise, I guess a look at any of the Rogue-alikes would be a good start.

A Bear likes this.
  3. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

4. profroche

profroche Mushroom Warrior

Actraiser is abandonware now?
    The Actraiser>Soul Blazer>Illusion of Gaia>Terranigma pseudo-tetralogy was criminally overlooked.
    Too bad Act Raiser II is poop

5. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

I know I had seen things about this game before, but--ah! Procedurally generated rougelikes meet lasting semi-MMO achievements? I have done nothing but play the alpha version of this game since you posted the link.

6. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

desktop dungeons is too random to play for my taste. I hate playing guessing games to where the monsters i can kill are, then running out of pots trying to kill monsters above my level

7. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

I found Desktop Dungeons a few months ago, before the big graphic update, and I must admit it was pretty fun. However, I am looking for something with a little more substance.

Last night I downloaded Dungeon Master 2, Ravenloft, Dungeon Hack and Wizardry 6. Anyone played any of those? I also got the Star Trek: 25th Anniversary edition... looks like an awesome hybrid of Star Trek and the old Kings Quest games in fabulous VGA!

8. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Do you specifically need dungeon crawlers, or can it be anything likely to fit with our "similar taste in games"?

If you need a dungeon crawler, play Eye of the Beholder already. Just do it. But a note: the game manuals (regular and walkthrough) have text content that vastly enriches the text-light main game, including an entire "quasi-walkthrough" written like an in-world diary. If you download the game, I urge you to find a place to download the manuals too.

Then there are all of the Pool of Radiance games. Also Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, which is science fiction instead of "dungeon," but is set up the same. And Temple of Apshai was never on DOS to my knowledge, but I still have to mention it.

(I still have a working copy on my working Commodore 64.)

9. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

My first game ever was "Forbidden Forest" on the C64. I was only like 4, but I had my dad write down instructions on how to boot up the game. I sat and practiced doing it until I could start it up all by myself.

load"*",8,1
    run

Wow, those were the days.

I think I remember seeing Eye of the Beholder on those websites... I'll check it out.

10. Sir Knight

Then there came the exciting day when I learned LOAD "$", and what other opportunities awaited within the LOAD quotation marks for disks with multiple programs on them.

Also, the ",1" should make it so you don't have to type RUN in your example. I can't remember if programs had to be set up somehow special to get the auto-running.

11. Does anyone know of a good tutorial to get started on DOS games?

12. Sir Knight

Dunno, but that sounded like a spambot post. You don't need a "tutorial" to "get started" on "DOS games," any more than you need a tutorial to get started on "GUI games." You could be asking for instructions on what program to use, or you could be asking to be directed to abandonware sites, but this thread already answers those questions.

If you aren't a spambot, please explain in more detail what you want to know.

13. Nevermind, I'm just dumb. I downloaded DOSbox and found some good abandonware sites. I just wasn't sure if there was any involved process in starting the DOS games. And don't worry, I'm not a bot :p

14. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

If I were a bot, that's exactly what I'd say.

15. I'm willing to take a Turing test (although I don't know what that would prove, aside from that I'm a really convincing bot).

16. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Please play Dungeon Master (the original). It's really quite different to every other dungeon crawler out there and one of my all-time favourite games. It has some really great simulation elements in it like use of audio to warn you about nearby monsters, throwing objects, rudimentary physics and a spell-casting/magic system that is really interesting.

Eye of the Beholder is great too, though I don't think it's as revolutionary as Dungeon Master.

17. Sir Knight

I'm wholly satisfied. Fossaman, please be kind to us organic lifeforms as you conquer the world with your startling bot powers.

18. I'm afraid I can't, As I can only rule with an iron fist:rolleyes:

19. Oh my were domed :p

20. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

We are Motorhead and as such, OWN the Iron Fist, as well as holding all the aces, etc. ;)

[​IMG]