Idea for New Class - Ranger

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by actionjack, Sep 25, 2013.

1. actionjack

actionjack Mushroom Warrior

New Class: Ranger

Card Hunter’s classes, although limited to just 3, does offer great varieties that covered major game play style and functions. With weapons and equipment setup, each class can be further developed into many sub-classes, and mix of. There are no actually reasons for adding more classes, but as it is something I enjoy concepting, here is my shot at it.

Ranger would encompass the arch-type of a melee / range damage dealer, druid-magic, Trapper, and pet / seeding minion master.

Code:
    [Default Move] (1 card) Boots (3 cards)
    Weapon/Bow Weapon (6 cards) Scout Item (3 cards)
    Weapon/Bow Weapon (6 cards) Scout Item (3 cards)
    Weapon/Bow Weapon (6 cards)
    Helmet (3 cards) Scout Item (3 cards)Light Armor (3 cards) [Racial Skill] (3 cards)Ranger Skill (3 cards)
    Melee Weapon: Sword, Axe, Spear – Very much like that of Warrior (could even share weapons with Warrior). Offer line of melee attacks for those who wants them.

Range Weapons: Bow and Slings – Similar to that of the Lighting or Arcane line of magic. Mostly single target ranged physical attacks. Added item could help imbued elemental magic onto your arrows for added magic attack/effect (ex. Fire Arrow)

Magic: Staff / Druid magic – Can offer supportive cards like minor heals, as well as creating obstacles (Growing a Tree), harass (Entangles), or Poison. Can also create things like Totem Pole that offer cover as well as buff or debuff to those around it.

Trapping: Traps – Create invisible Trap tiles that gets trigger when enemy walk pass it. Does damage, movement hinder, and debuff.

Pet: Animal Companion / Beast Mastery: A special pet slot allow you bring a pet Companion in with you to fight. Added items in Beast Mastery allow you to better utilize that pet, in adding more hp and cards to it.

Seeding: A cross of Druid magic, trap and pet. Summon stationary plants summons that can attack or debuff enemies.

Ranger is a bit of jack of all trades, that can be specialized. It is a bit of cross of all 3 classes, but with some new mechanics. That is my fancy, thx for reading.

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Hello!

Two things: first is that we have reason to believe a Rogue class is coming. Then, because Blue Manchu's game design was that you could create your own "subclasses" based on cards (is your Priest a Healer or a Crusader?), some of us hypothesize that ranged weapons will allow a subclass of Rogue (a "Ranger").

Second, including magic in such a class is a different topic. Who knows? Could be fun!

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Currently the game doesn't support summoning units in battle (even in the editor), so either the pet would have to count as a separate 4th party member (with it's own deck?) or just be a item slot. Say, you have a hawk animal companion item - it would have cards that are ranged "attacks" emulating you send your hawk to attack someone at range, maybe blind them et c? I could see that working, and that's what I would suggest for any pet class within the current system.

That being said, like SK just said in his welcome, is that the Rogue is likely the ranged class option - but we'll see! :)

4. actionjack

Thxs for the feedbacks.

Yes, I do realize about the mulit sub-classes that can be created, so a Ranger is not really needed, but concepting for new class is something I enjoy. :)
    It does have some room for some unique mechanic, namely traps (which could be use by Rogue too), and summons.

For pet companions, I could see done in few ways. One is as Pengwin suggested, simply as a attack skill. Another as a short duration summons. And another more complex way is to have them as a party member with their own smaller deck (like draw 2 per turn), but with Ranger "beast master" able to have more cards that can be use by the pet too.

Anyhow, feel free to brainstorm. I like the feedbacks :)

5. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Mushroom Warrior

Wait...what? Is that, like, a thing that's going to happen?

Because that would make me a very happy variant of a chemical element differing in atomic mass.

6. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Which "that"? Do you mean the very existence of the Rogue? Because we hope it is true.

Or do you mean literally calling a character a "Healer" versus a "Crusader"? Because that's not in the game: I was talking about character personalization via cards. The devs really, really, REALLY wanted everything in this game to depend on cards.

So in one videogame a "cleric" might be defined as "healer," and so you'd expect a Card Hunter Priest to be a "back-rank" character like that. Well, just cover the Priest with good Attack cards (and ZERO healing cards) and now you have a "crusader" (a Priest who cannot heal, only harm). Or, as hypothesized before, maybe one day Blue Manchu will release more ranged Attacks (like arrows)--can a Warrior equip those? Then suddenly your Warrior could be a muscle-bound melee "barbarian" or a ranged "archer."

So that's what I meant.

7. actionjack

Yes, currently, you could make a Rogue-like build with Warrior or even Mage (and Elf).
    None the less, I feel there are still some space for new class, and still few new mechanic that would be introduce.

Might give it an attempt to do a Rogue concept class too. Gadgets-user I think would fit nice with it.

8. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Mushroom Warrior

Gotcha. I thought you meant that there would be a way to pre-define subclasses (presumably with different effects on the cards).

9. progammer

progammer Ogre

One things about trap though, Hidden trap put on tiles on the battlefield is not likely to be implemented. The game immitate a board games, having things displayed on the board that only 1 person know is not a good idea. The more likely version of trap is going to be triggered from hand like Reactive Trip

10. MasterBeef

MasterBeef Kobold

I would love to have a ranged attack option on my Warrior. What would we need a separate "Rogue" class for, if I can give my warrior a lot of movement cards, movement-enhancing skills and armor, and then go from there?

Pretty exciting stuff, and I hope that Blue Manchu looks towards expanding current classes rather than adding a new one.

11. actionjack

I guess this also brings to the topic of adding new class vs. adding more to original class.
    I think it is not necessary to add new class, but do like to concept for it. Also feel that there are still room for it. As a case, consider Armor.
    Is there a room for new armor type, or in this case, a Medium/Light Armor type? I see it as offering cards of weaker defense, but more mobile options. So about 2-3 armors, and 2-3 mobile defense, which could include more jump-back/ dodge roll cards, movement cards, catnip cards, position defense cards (if enemy starts the attack with their back to you, you can roll for defense or block/roll out), buffs (attachment, which give you certain bonus, like increase roll number, for duration), and stealth (remove from line of sight for duration), and combo/variation of those.

So I can see It offering a different type of game play and strategy.