How will beta testers be selected?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by redcap, Sep 27, 2011.

1. brock

brock Kobold

I'm going to set myself apart here by saying that, yes, I would like to be considered for the Card Hunter beta.

I'm getting really excited due to following a few Blue Manchu folks on twitter, but some of the things they tweet about make me think the "final" game is still quite a ways away. What a painful thought...

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I'm going to set myself apart here by saying that, yes, I am among the best possible candidates for consideration in the Card Hunter beta.

Just look at my lengthy list of credentials, clearly visible through Vis-O-Scope, my patented view enhancement device that coincidentally looks like a fast-turning spiral. Please do not be alarmed by any sensations of hypnosis.

3. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

I've been beta testing games for a decade(my first was the MMORPG Neocron in 2002, there's been more than a dozen since then). I've even done some alpha testing(such as the recent AirMech), and contributed to open source indie games(such as UFO:AI), as well as contributed mods to some games(such as Dungeons of Dredmor, where I have also published mods to steam workshop, my avatar comes from one of them). Prior to all this I was also a developer in a MUD using the Discworld LPC codebase, where I wrote and balanced most of the weapon files.

4. Sir Knight

You should probably submit information to the Card Hunter team, then. I sent them some stuff awhile ago, asking if they had use of a (or another) writer, since that's what I've done in games. We probably don't ACTUALLY have to convince them that we are "good beta testers" in order to get into the beta. But if you have cool skills they could use in general, well, they might want to know that in general.

5. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I know we have been waiting a while, but kinda dont hope they do it soon. currently in 4 betas atm for games I want to play, taking up a lot of my time lol.

6. Womble

Womble Mushroom Warrior

I have no credentials...but I'm in!

7. GAZ082

GAZ082 Kobold

Hi guys. Honestly, i do not see a lot of people in the forums. So i bet all of us will get a chance to dig into the beta :)

8. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I think we're going to pick playtesters out of a barrel.
    If you'd like to be a playtester, get in a barrel.

9. Sir Knight

Wait. That statement was ambiguous.

First, we need to be clear on what sort of barrel we're talking. I've been playing videogames awhile, and I know that some barrels explode.

Second, a barrel? ONE barrel? All playtesters will come out of said barrel, and if we don't manage to find THAT ONE BARREL and cram into it with everyone else, we'll miss out?

Blue Manchu, think this beta testing thing is revealing "bugs in your system" before its even begun.

Farbs likes this.
  10. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

That is correct. Think of it this way: If you are not in a barrel, then you will definitely miss out.
    We may consider further tester intake after the initial barrel round.

11. Falk

Falk Kobold

[​IMG]

Do old pictures count? The kid grew up to be me and that bucket grew up to be a fine barrel.

12. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Now it seems there is a high probability of the beta testers all being monkeys. Or liquor. I mean, go up to a random barrel and look inside. Chances are that it is either A: empty, B: full of monkeys, or C: in the process of aging liquor. Humans are a very rare content as it is, and the likelihood of finding humans in a barrel decreases exponentially outside major metropolitan centers.

So, the beta testers are likely to be drunken monkeys. That... seems fitting, somehow.

But it is also disappointing. Zoorland has no spare barrels to be inside; all of his are... *ahem* ...already filled.

13. Ystin

Ystin Orc Soldier

First, I understand that me being in a barrel doesn't actually improve my chances of getting to be a part of the beta testing. On the off chance that it does though, I went looking for a barrel. I couldn't find anything barrel like around my house after about 5 minutes of looking, so I looked up the definition that Wikipedia uses for a barrel.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel
    Needless to say, I was happy that I could twist that to fit the definition of a cup. I happened to have a cup at my desk. Here's a picture of me in the cup. Well, a part of me. In the "barrel."

Attached Files:

14. Sir Knight

I see. Well, on the same "off chance" that this step is essential, I will try my own method: logical proof.

I possess a skeleton as part of my natural living self.

If you identify the location of my skeleton, you have found me.

In the Diablo universe, any barrel (capable of interaction) may contain a skeleton.

In conclusion, there is a statistical chance that "a barrel" as chosen by the Card Hunter team may contain my skeleton and therefore me.

. . . I submit this as verification that I am qualified for the beta test.

15. Ystin

Ystin Orc Soldier

Sir Knight... I'll give it to you.

Not that I'm the one that gets to decide or anything.

16. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

I posit that the world we live in functions as a sort of engine. And barrel is a synonym for engine, so therefore we are all in a barrel.

Further I bathe regularly in my bath tub, and tub is a synonym for barrel.

Ystin likes this.
  17. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I am shaped like a barrel.

Zoorland and Pixel like this.
  18. Time4Pizza

Time4Pizza Mushroom Warrior

Just passing on what I read at Gamespy, but that says that this will be an open beta. If they are right then that would be good news for everyone. If it actually is not open beta, well then at least Blue Man knows that that is what Gamespy has posted.

19. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

They could handle it like MechWarrior Online did beta invites with there founders program, people paid for invites (and other stuff). MWO pulled in a pile of cash with that move.

20. Ystin

Ystin Orc Soldier

They could do that Oberon. I don't know if they will though. It seems like Blue Manchu wants to get people into their beta so they can get some good feedback, and actually work on their game (balancing it, sorting out issues, etc...). I don't think they want it to be the kind of beta where it just appears to the public as a pre-release sort of deal, which is how I feel when games charge money for invites.

At the same time if they charged money for invites, I feel like they would get a different beta player-base, one that would consist of people that really, really wanted to play the game. I imagine those people could have a more dedicated mindset. They could also feel like they paid for the game, and don't want to be bogged down with reporting bugs and whatnot.

If they do charge for the invites, I'll most likely fork over the cash to acquire one. I'm all sorts of ready to play the game, and do whatever it takes to make it what it needs to be to release it to the hungry public.