How viable is an all Dwarf group in Card Hunter?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Talonius, May 22, 2013.

1. Talonius

Talonius Mushroom Warrior

I like to RP dorfs. I always have since my first D&D warrior Ironfist and my more recent Dwarf cleric Armunn.

I can see how much mobility such a group would sacrifice, but the durability should make up for the attacks that can't be outrun. I imagine that a balanced group would make for the best team logistically, but doing things the easiest way has never been the most fun. :)

2. Platouf

Platouf Mushroom Warrior

Hello,

I am a dwarf player only. For me playing dwarf team is viable. I do all the campaign with plying only dwarf : one warrior, one wizard and one priest. Many adventure are hardly when you play dwarves team. When you have encumber 2 it is the same as halt when you play dwarf.

Friendly,
    Platouf.

3. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

I too played the entire campaign, EVERY SINGLE ADVENTURE with the same one warrior, one priest, one wizard all dwarf party. The only enemy which I found challenging were the Astral Guardians (the only time I've lost twice during an adventure). But, once you really understand line of sight, step, and team push mechanics you'll see that an all dwarf party is absolutely viable!

That being said, any combination is just as viable (once you know how to use them).

4. CustodianV131

CustodianV131 Kobold

What happens though if you run out of ale? That would be a game-breaking bug for sure! :D

I like the idea of a themed group. Wonder how it works anyway, do you have a group of adventures where you pick from for a certain adventure, or do you pick a Warrior/Healer/Mage at the start and keep going with those same 3?

I take it that for now adventures are more balanced for that Warrior/Healer/Mage group or can you do them with 3 Mages for instance? Would be fun to have an adventures later on where 3 Healers are the best way to go or so. Managing your group of adventurers might get more interesting when more classes are added to the mix. Guess Thief will come out of stealth sometime?

5. Talonius

I am just theorycrafting while I wait for release or access to the game, but all games these days seem to be balanced around the trinity (Warrior/tank, healer, and mage/ranged dps). I read a post about someone playing 3 mages in Card Hunter which might be fun too. Make them all elves and go for a full mobility strike team. :)

6. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

You actually get one of each character class (your choice on their race) during the introductory adventures. You are later able to acquire new characters from the tavern's for gold (they will be level 1 for 10 gold, or level 10 for 100 gold). You can change your party members equipment and change party themselves between adventures. Each character levels independently after completing an adventure (most adventures consist of multiple encounters). So, that is how you manage your party members. :D

CustodianV131 likes this.
  7. CustodianV131

CustodianV131 Kobold

Ok, that sounds very good indeed! I like building up characters and teams, seems it will let me do just that! Thanks for the info!

8. Irwik

Irwik Mushroom Warrior

with a 2 square basic move aren't dwarves a little slow?
    wizards may laugh at that..

9. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

But you generally have the ability to hinder their movement and surround them somehow. And you can equip your Dwarfs with boots etc. to give them some more movement.

10. Irwik

Irwik Mushroom Warrior

yeah gunna qwip sum swift boots

11. Irwik

Irwik Mushroom Warrior

The only thin they kinda random - u may get 3 attack cards in starting hand and no move

12. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

What dwarfs lack in "speed" they make up in raw power, ie: sustainability via high hp and a few niffy cards like Duck, Shrug It Off, Toughness, etc.

13. Irwik

Irwik Mushroom Warrior

The other question is are three wizards viable..
    I can't say if it's true or not,
    but i suppose if game is balanced they could be really good in multiplayer, picking dwarves one by one while teleporting away,
    but not really strong against horde for they lack damage of melee characters.

14. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

To cut to the quick, all parties are viable.

I've played every combination of three man parties, and even two many parties (in MP even, and won!). So, please trust me when I say, "all parties are viable." I completed every one of the "quests" from Wizard's Workshop, Caverns of the Troglodytes, Lair of the Trog Wizard, and Highway Robbery (such as: you only have 1 hp and no party deaths) with level 1 parties (I used my 3 wizard party for all of the non-class specific quests). So, yes 3 wizards can rock some serious face off! My current favored party consists of a human/wizard, dwarf/wizard and human/warrior. Additionally my main MP party is the same as my SP party. So, when I'm state that all parties combinations are viable I mean for both SP and MP. :D

15. Irwik

Irwik Mushroom Warrior

Sounds cool.
    So they are all good balanced?
    Thats great to hear coz it's usually a big problem even for big companies to keep a good balance ingame.

16. grinningsphinx

grinningsphinx Mushroom Warrior

Theres a 4th class coming, thief/ranger...you first see those cards in Lord Bratfords manor...Piercing Arrows and Thrown Daggers etc.

17. Irwik

Irwik Mushroom Warrior

Wizards menace.

18. Talonius

I am Really enjoying the challenge and big BOOM payoff from an all Wizard party (one elf, one human, one dwarf). I still really like the all dwarf crew, but I hate getting kited by casters and ranged attackers. The hardy Dwarf Wizard still serves as my tank when I need one. Toughness, Shrug it off, and armor boots with a run attached make him mobile enough to block while my other 2 wizards blast away at the enemies. :)

I think pretty much any variant would be viable and fun, but certain crews like an all Dwarf Warrior party would slow the pace way down. I love me some Card Hunter, that much is certain!

19. Tobold

Tobold Goblin Champion

I have a successful level 13 all dwarf party right now which rose quickly through the lower levels by using a strategy based on Firestorm. I have a warrior, a priest, and a wizard, and the wizard has 7 Firestorms in his deck. So instead of running after the enemy, I hide behind cover and cast Firestorms hurting everybody on the board. The effect is increased by Focused Burning. Armor and healing cards keep my dwarves alive, while the mobs burn to death.

This set-up is especially effective against large numbers of low health mobs, like goblins, kobolds, or cockroaches. The high health mobs which survive can then be bludgeoned to death by the warrior.

Note that it takes a large collection of cards to get a lot of Firestorms, e.g. I am using Wym's Lavastaff, a legendary card. But even if you don't build your whole party around that, putting a few Firestorms on your dwarven wizard is probably a good idea.

20. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

All dwarf party is pretty common among newer players as the higher hp allows for more mistakes. Its a pretty good setup.