How to nerf Talented Healer

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Keyser, Aug 11, 2013.

?

How should Talented Healer be nerfed

1. Require a die roll like Altruism, either 3+ or 4+.

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Have it disappear after a set number of heals, perhaps after it is used 3 times.

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Get rid of focused healer, so you can't have more than one Talented Healer

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Other.

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. Generica

Generica Mushroom Warrior

I shared your opinion on the card until about a week ago, IvoryHeart, and since then I've tried a few different builds with my one Focused Healer and now it's clear to me either the item or the card is too powerful. There are counters, as you say, but as someone using a talented healer priest in multiplayer I'd rather face a deck stacked with these counters than face another talented healer team. The threat of healing to full puts enormous pressure on the opponent to make an all-in and commit to bursting me down, which itself can be countered pretty easily with blocks, mobility cards and tricksy wizard cards.

2. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

So what would you nerf to get rid of the infinite draw problem if not Talented Healer?

3. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

Apparently you are. How can you anticipate how much damage you need to do? Every talented healer build I've made (and most I've seen played) has the entire team at full health at the end of every turn. They also hold onto the large heals for the focus fire you are talking about. If they are going to lose the heal war, they drop a nimbus and heal the character back up to full again. Don't forget that you'll also need enough moves to keep up with the character you are trying to burst down and somehow ensure that they don't have blocks.

The largest problem though is that they can just go infinite and hit you with 3 damage, over and over until you die while you are out of plays and are just sitting there hitting pass for 10 minutes.

Lance likes this.
  4. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

First, the only class that can reliably burst are warriors, and there are many blocks in this game that will counter strong warrior attacks. Parry and weak parry come to mind.

Second, the problem with counterspell or forgetfullness is that they are useless against warriors, and can be countered with wizards of their own. Additionally, if they are running multiple priests with talented healer it will not matter how many counterspells you have. They have 3 rounds of unlimited heals and you may have 1 or 2 rounds of discarding two cards off one character.

Talented healer is the much stronger position to play from, and I'd much rather be the guy with talented healer vs. the guy trying to counter it.

5. progammer

progammer Ogre

I'm currently having fun with a counterspell focused build to counter talented healer meta. Redrune Staff is very decent for getting your wizard into line of sight to burn down the priest's card. Once he is out of card you can begin delaling dmg and focus him down. It wasnt an amazing counter or anything, but it definitely put my party back to an even playing field with the talented healer's team. (ie, trading your wizard to completely disable the priest, turning the game to a 2v2 or even 2v2.5)

Drawf Wizard
    Level 4 Dwarf Wizard

1 x Immovable
    1 x Hot Spot
    2 x Toughness
    2 x Hover
    1 x Force Bolt
    1 x Maze
    2 x Acid Blast

The only party I seems to have problem with counter-spell is the 2 warrior - 1 priest combo. It is harder to target the priest with these warrior on the front line and if the wizard does not have sight of the priest, counterspell is useless on warrior.​

In short, there is a counter to Talented Healer if you build for it. However, it still need some small nerf given its current power. Might just be duration could be fine.​

6. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

Changing the duration makes it somewhat harder to set up infinite draws, but doesn't get rid of the infinite draw possibility. I think whatever BM implements has to get rid of the infinite draw problem.

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Would it be enough to limit reshuffles to the draw phase? Then the healer can only draw their deck once per round.

8. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

IMO, no, since getting to play 36 cards in a round is still obscene.

Wozarg and Ryahes like this.
  9. Stefan

Stefan Mushroom Warrior

As this posting is getting more input on the matter, I am reposting from my older post, if that makes sense?
    Post is from, Talented Healer needs a tweak.

Maybe there could be a range requirement of the heal to give a card draw, IE: if the priest is not at least 3 squares away from the heal target the non line of sight heal works fine but the Talented Healer bonus for drawing a card does not apply, or even both line of sight and distance is required.
    Thus making the priest more vulnerable to attack.
    Also the team as a whole is more vulnerable to wind or move type attacks if you can keep the priest a set distance from the target then the drawing of cards is limited.

10. DevourKing

DevourKing Kobold

Doesn't solve the issue reducing range.

11. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

A) Is reducing range an "issue"
    B) Not needing range due to self healing only eliminates the need for any range.