How often do you resign?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by SwampHunter, Sep 26, 2013.

1. SwampHunter

SwampHunter Kobold

Another way of wording the question might be: How adverse are you to resigning?

For me, I have no problem with resigning, especially in MP. Once the game reaches that tipping point, I've little desire to drag it out on that small chance for a comeback. That said, I will usually hang on in the SP campaign if my wizard is still alive because of his kiting potential.

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I never resign in MP, or at least I didn't during the beta as I haven't played mp since release. It ain't over til it's over after all...

In SP I have resigned on the first map if I realized I forgot to pack that crucial item (armor removal), or if I brought a utterly useless build.

3. Aviar

Aviar Kobold

There have been a couple of time where I almost resigned in SP, but thought, no, let's just see what draws happen here. Somehow, the one character I am left with is able to kite the remaining mobs around the board, and I have pulled off a couple of victories that I thought were hopeless.

My suggestion is to fight till the end as every game is a new experience and you can learn new strategies each time.

4. Andrew Talbot

Andrew Talbot Mushroom Warrior

I have resigned once, and said gg when I knew the situation was over and the blow was coming twice.

5. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Goblin Champion

In MP I'll resign as soon as it's clear that even a lucky draw wouldn't be enough to claw my way back to victory - not being able to deliver the finishing blow saddens me a little when I'm winning, but in either case I'd rather just declare the winner and move on to the next chance for winning a chest. I almost never resign in SP though, because you never know when the AI will derp next and running around calculating ways to avoid damage is good practise for playing better when you actually have a decent shot at victory.

6. Armoek

Armoek Mushroom Warrior

I don't think it adequately describes what I do. I usually rage quit and would like a button to notify my opponent that I have done this.

7. Cazliostro

Cazliostro Kobold

Well said.

There should also be a button for "fist pump"!

8. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

When I do, I usually give a reason to my opponent. Untenable first-turn situations. No-win scenarios late within a battle. Pizza arrives early. You know, the usual reasons.

9. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I never ever resign as i have turned many a lost match on a lucky draw and good playing. That said i ***** and moan like a whiny girl where most people would resign so i hardly take it with grace. :p

10. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Things have to be very dire indeed for me to resign. Typically the only time I resign is when I'm completely certain that I'll lose on the next round. But occasionally I'll resign a bit earlier if things just look really bad and the game is going a bit slowly. (eg. if they're leading with 4 stars vs my 1 star, and I'm down to one character with low health and encumbered and somewhere way off in the corner of the map because of whirlwind... I might resign even if they aren't actually need me or near the victory square.)

11. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

Almost never. I think I have resigned twice in all my games. And both of these I would call more "ragequits" than just resignations, I am ashamed to say.

12. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

I like that idea! One thing is resigning. Quite another is storming out in a fit of mindless rage. I too only do the latter. And I am sure my opponent would find it amusing to know.

13. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Goblin Champion

[Continue]
    [Resign]
    [Table Flip]

Complete with animation, of course.

Gentlecow and Assussanni like this.
  14. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Ah, if only we'd written a 3D renderer.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Megadestructo and Gentlecow like this.
  15. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I hear major features (cough cough custom maps) are never considered too late, if your name is Farbs...

16. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

In five years time, when we're completely rewriting the client, I'll give it some thought.
    I'll add a /flip chat command to tide us over.

Megadestructo and Pengw1n like this.
  17. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

I, for one, love it. :D

18. Eusix

Eusix Orc Soldier

Oh goodness, I hope you do add the /flip command, I would so use that, and often.

I typically resign when things look good and lost, sometimes too early, but meh, I just don't like looking at bleak situations.

Although sometimes when I've been really annoying someone with frost mages, or pushing their toons around, and then I've got nothing left in my hand, and they walk their warrior up to my wizard with a whole hand of attacks, it's just polite to let them get their rage out in a smattering of obliterating attacks instead of resigning early. :)

19. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I think have resigned exactly once so far and that happened when I had one half-health priest left against all three from the opponent.

Most of the time I make a some silly charge once it's clear I've lost or hit Pass a couple of times to let the other guy claim the last VPs.

I don't take the MP fights that seriously that I'd get angry over losing...

20. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

The game already has variables for the position and flip values for every single tile and doodad, so randomizing the values and displaying the results shouldn't be too hard.

Example from "dumpbattle" results:
    Code:
            (sfs_object)
                (int) battle: 0
                (bool) imageFlipX: true
                (int) location.y: 0
                (utf_string) terrain: Open
                (int) location.x: 1
                (utf_string) _class_: com.cardhunter.battle::Square
                (bool) imageFlipY: false
                (utf_string) imageName: Zenfloor1