How I built my Cushioning Armor dwarves (1700+)

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by HisRoyalHygiene, Jul 28, 2016.

1. HisRoyalHygiene

HisRoyalHygiene Guild Leader

Remember when EttSC was released and EVERYONE was running Cushioning Armor?
    And then EVERYONE started running anti-armor?

Well, they're not any more.

So I went ahead and threw together the most boring build I could. While I could copy + paste it, I'd rather open up a discussion. This is because:
    - I think my build can be improved
    - It would be more helpful to see the process I take while deckbuilding rather than just the finished product
    - People get to add their own personal flair!

I start with The Softener
    I figure Dwarves' deliciously high HP would benefit most from cushy armor
    DWars need a Vibrant Pain to lengthen their legs.
    Nimble Strike doesn't do enough damage so I need a Mass Frenzy priest.
    Still not doing enough damage so add a Crazy Sal's Halberd which gives versatility in attacks, extra armor and sweet, sweet deck shortening
    First Dwar looks so sexy that I add another. They're ready to play.
    Now for the priest. Add a bajillion Mass Frenzys. Too many frenzies. Remove frenzies and start again.
    Which other spells would work with cushioned dwarves?
    Greater Heal and Martyr's Blessing
    OMG Evensong has both Greater Heal AND Mass Frenzy so all I have to do is fill up the divine items with Martyr's Blessing and I'm good to go!
    Oh wait... Blind Rage + Mass Frenzy + Martyr's Blessing + Martial Skill = too many traits.
    By this time I'm too excited to care.
    Play a bit, make some tweaks and before I know it I'm tickling 1800.

Have you used Cushioning Armor? Was it successful? How would you go about building around it?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Moogle Stiltzkin, Tyro, CT5 and 5 others like this.
  2. JakeAlmighty

JakeAlmighty Mushroom Warrior

I've been playing triple dwarves with Cushioning armors on all of them, seems to work pretty well. (Stargod's on Priest(s), Xek's on Warrior atm as I have no Softener yet)

Very few people seem to be packing armor destruction, nobody seems to like Sundering for some reason??

If you could let the pizza gods know that I require a 2nd Vibrant Pain in my life asap, that would be great. thanks

3. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

I played cushioning a lot, most of the time it's great until it's bad, but most of the time it's great, that is why I always pack sundering. I got a "pet" deck near to 1800 with it.

I would say I reach the draw limit often with many traits and the blessing stop working.

4. HisRoyalHygiene

Sundering is not particularly well itemised. Not to mention, it is only on epic+ items. (Warrior's Axe doesn't count because who would run that?) Then again, I'm surprised more people don't run White Katana. I guess that's a hard call to make when you've got Double-Edged Sword for the same token cost and it's got penetrating attacks.

I found Xek's to be fairly useful, especially with getting a 2nd armor 'behind' the cushioning but I much prefer the softener. Took me ages to get one though, was one of the last EttSC legendaries I picked up. And it took me over a year of heavy playing with club before I got my first Vibrant Pain. I almost cried. Will think of you when I make my next sacrificial offering to the pizza gods.

Kids, if @Macizo tells you to pack sundering - pack sundering!

From ~70 games I've only reached the draw limit once. Of course, I had so many cards in hand I steamroller'd my opponent. Martyr's rarely nets more than a couple of cards but at worst it is a 2 round nimbus.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Tyro, JakeAlmighty and Macizo like this.
  5. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

I got the draw limit often but thats because bless.

6. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

I just pickd up a White Katana resently and I've been impressed with it against the few players I've been able to use it against. Though if I could find and buy the double-edged sword I would gladly run that instead or if I could I'd run it with White Katana just to keep the anti-armor properties for when I can't draw my mage's anti-armors

7. HisRoyalHygiene

As an uncommon, Double-Edged Sword can be found in The Goblin Bazaar, a shop that restocks daily. If your renown is 17 or higher, it only costs 25 gold. A few days of checking will likely wield a result.

8. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Actually you only need 16 renown.

HisRoyalHygiene and Lord Feleran like this.
  9. wereviper

wereviper Ogre

Good to know. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the DES

10. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

As a wizard-only team, I enjoy seeing Cushioning Armor. My attacks are rarely buffed, so a 4 damage burst or 5 point deadly spark goes right through that stuff. It also allows me to not worry about armor removal as much, to be honest.

11. SerraSerra

SerraSerra Kobold

my penetrating warrior attacks also don't seem to care a lot about all those expensive armor people tend to wear.