How does "Rotting Guts" (Festering Guts) work?

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Galvatron, May 26, 2016.

1. Galvatron

Galvatron Orc Soldier

Rcently playing deck with it, and sometimes I manage to get my last char to be able to blow up whole enemy team, I get all the stars for kills (6) but game still considered defeat. In QD I had my opponent do it to me few times and they always got victory?

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I don't think that they got victory—it's a defeat for both players IIRC.

3. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

So in MP it's also possible that both players lose? =o

4. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Unless something has changed, whenever I played it, (and I played it plenty,) if your last character exploded and killed your opp's last char, your opp would win because the win condition was all your chars getting "dead" status first, but if your non-last character exploded and killed your opp's last char, you would win (before your opp even got the points for your char's demise!) because the win condition was all your opp's chars getting "dead" status first. That was my repeated experience to my best recollection.

5. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

EDIT: This post is incomplete and not entirely accurate, please see the post below for the full correct breakdown.

As far as I know, and this has included multiple tests... when Festering Guts or Mad Dog trigger, they affect all applicable players in the same way that Firestorm does: that is, all applicable characters of the non-active player (the one who's turn it is not) in party order from left to right, followed by all applicable characters of the active player (the one who's turn it is, presumably the one that caused the trait to trigger). If at any point in this chain of damage a victory condition is reached (stars, or total death) the game ends and the victory is awarded. This remains true whether the KO'd character is taken out by an ally or enemy.

The short version is that this will almost always mean the player who's turn it is, will win.*

EDIT: See my next post below...
    *EDIT: More testing shows a counter occurrence.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  6. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I haven't tested anything but once upon a time in SP I hit a monster that had guts, killed him, the trait killed me. Both were last characters on the board... and I got defeat.

7. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

EDIT: This post is incomplete and not entirely accurate, please see the post below for the full correct breakdown.

After more testing I found one exception to the above. And it has to do with what Flaxative was saying:
    I was able to reproduce this, but it only occurs in one very specific case...

If the last living character of a player dies on that player's turn killing their opponent's characters by means of Festering Guts, it's a double defeat.

upload_2016-5-26_15-47-13.png

Hence for example...

However, if the last living character of a player dies on the opponent's turn the opponent will get the victory even if their characters would die from Festering Guts.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

EDIT: My final conclusion on how this works - I'll add this to the Glossary, unless someone sees errors in it.

So the short answer is there is no short answer. The longer answer is that the series of triggers works like this:
    1. Lethal damage applied to character w/Festering Guts attached.
      1. The character with Festering Guts dies (but is not yet removed from the board, no victory points awarded yet).
      2. Festering Guts triggers.
      3. Festering Guts applies damage to applicable non-active player's characters, in party order, one at a time (this could potentially trigger cascading Festering Guts occurrences).
        1. For each character, when damage is applied if it results in character death:
          1. Character is removed from board.
          2. Victory points (stars) awarded.
          3. The game checks to see if all the characters of either team (or both teams*) are dead, if so the game ends immediately.
          4. The game checks if either player has won by total victory points, if so, the game ends immediately.
      4. Festering Guts applies damage to applicable active player's characters, in party order, one at a time (this could potentially trigger cascading Festering Guts occurrences).
        1. For each character, when damage is applied if it results in character death:
          1. Character is removed from board.
          2. Victory points (stars) awarded.
          3. The game checks to see if all the characters of either team (or both teams*) are dead, if so the game ends immediately.
          4. The game checks if either player has won by total victory points, if so, the game ends immediately.
    2. The original killed character which had Festering Guts attached is removed from the board.
      1. Its victory points (stars) are now awarded.
      2. The game checks to see if all the characters of either team are dead, if so the game ends immediately.
      3. The game checks if either player has won by total victory points, if so, the game ends immediately.

*The original character with Festering Guts that is killed is dead, but is not removed from the board until Festering Guts resolves. Because the game only checks for defeat by total team death when a character is removed from the board, if this was the last character alive for a player, they will not be given a defeat until either a subsequent character dies and is removed from the board, or until Festering Guts resolves and the original character is removed (step 2.2 above), whichever comes first. This can result in a double defeat if both players have only 1 character left.

Last edited: May 27, 2016