hover + illusion wall

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Platouf, May 22, 2013.

1. Platouf

Platouf Mushroom Warrior

Hello,

See the picture for easiest understanding.

My wizard had hover on him but it can't target the elf. If I understand the hover's text, I don't be affect by illusionary terrain created by wall of illusion but I am.

It's work normaly or it's a bug ?

Friendly,
    Platouf.

Attached Files:

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Ah ha! Very interesting!

This shows that Hover's text is open to alternate interpretations. In normal fantasy games, levitating like this renders you immune to terrain underfoot: surely that is what Blue Manchu intended (i.e., you won't burn in lava, you won't struggle in Difficult Terrain). But nowhere does the card specify "terrain underfoot"!

So, yes, we have to assume it is "working normally" (by basic logic about what levitation should do), but the card could be more clear.

3. Platouf

Platouf Mushroom Warrior

Hello,

Thank you for the answer. I lose my debate versus my opponent, it's not a bug. My first translation of hover was more as flying. For me you can fly far height from the wall and cast spell on target but now I understand it is just a small levitation.

Friendly,
    Platouf.

4. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

There is another issue with Wall of illusion that I was going to post. Borrowing the pictures, the dwarf wizard is standing on an illusion terrain and wall of illusion says 'Enemies may not sight through'. But the dwarf wizard HAS line of sight in the illusion terrain its in. It cannot sight through past the 2nd illusion tile but it can sight thru its own ? This is inconsistent.

Flavor wise, I'd consider the dwarf surrounded by a halo of shimmering luminescence which prevent his line of sight. Therefore, standing on an enemy's illusion tile should render the unit a sitting duck. If that is not intended, then it defeats the purpose of casting the spell (since enemy can just walk over and sit on one to regain its line of sight). And the card's wording would need an update to: Enemies must Stop. Enemies may not sight through other illusion tiles other than the one it is on.

5. Icebird

Icebird Kobold

Just until recently, Wall of illusion worked like that. And it was ultra cheated, unfair, and seriously abused.
    Basically, you casted Wall of Illusion right on top of your characters, and those became invincible for a turn, being untargetable.
    Having 4+ wall of illusion in your deck was a must-have, and some had 8+ walls per wizard, allowing some stupid things like sitting on the treasure square 6 turns in a row and win, while your opponent could do nothing.

So, no, wall of illusion do not block sight to the wall tile itself but only to those beyond, and its normal.

6. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

I think there is some confusion here. Look at the pic again, Platouf's dwarf wizard is standing on BumbleRumble's illusion terrain. It can see into the empty illusion terrain diagonally in front of it. That's the fix devs made, so enemy can see into illusion tiles now. That's perfectly fine.

Now, the question here is: why is Platouf's dwarf wizard able to sight OUT of the illusion terrain it is standing on ? If its intended, then the card's text needs an update. Likewise, it will affect gameplay. I'm not going to cast illusion under my enemy's unit, I'll do it somewhere between my unit and the enemy's. Its better off as a barrier.

7. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Yes, that's exactly how it's intended, and as described on the card. The distinction is the use of the words "through" versus "into" and "out of." This happens a lot in gaming:

"Through": There is an entire square of illusion between you and your target. Nobody is standing in the square in question.

"Into" or "out of": You, or your target, are standing in an illusion square. You are therefore in a nebulous state: there's less than "an entire square of illusion," so should it have the full effect on gameplay?

People found the card to be overpowered when it had its full effect on "into" or "out of," so Blue Manchu eliminated this. It now only affects sight "through" an entire square. Such is standard gaming parlance and, unfortunately, it's very difficult to phrase it more clearly without a huge explanation like this.

Jon likes this.