Highlander build

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by rinco69, Aug 29, 2015.

?

Should race movement card count towards Highlander build?

1. Yes

40.0%
  2. No

60.0%
  1. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

The hot topic in global chat today is the Highlander build. Every card is to be unique... across all three characters. Whether or not race move card counts is still an open debate.

Note: not my idea I am just bringing it to the forum.

Anyway below is my Highlander build that won at Roll out the Barrels (!) and stands undefeated (with just the 1 game played). Now post your build and how many wins it has!

Human priest with
    Hefty Mace
    Chaos Hammer
    Hooked Chimalli
    Mail Of The Prophet
    Jumpdragger Boots
    Blessed Demon Claw
    Blackglass Token
    Auric Charm
    Inspired Command
    Trained Cleansing

dwarf warrior with
    Cat'leth
    Slice And Dice
    Shifty Skin Hat
    Keen Baseboard
    Acrobat's Aegis
    Gauntlets Of The Giant
    Boots Of Safety
    Charging Battler
    Novice Bashing

elf wizard with
    Dual Optimum D-45
    Staff Of Glowing Coals
    Vogel's Confusotron
    Cohr's Black Sceptre
    Cloudy Circlet
    Rumbling Rod
    Footfall Robes
    Goat Boots
    Superb Mobility
    Burning Spark Initiate

2. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Only one card per character leads not enough room for decissions, in my oppinion. As far as I know the idea is adapted from Magic the Gathering, where Highlander is a pretty cool format since they banned enough of the tutor effects. But in Magic you can choose every card. So I would adapt this idea towards every item just one time. But this are just my 50 cents.

3. Every item just one time is not really worth it. Honestly, you see that pretty often in ranked gameplay. People would just trade in their Blue Destruction by a Staff of a Million Fireballs or a Deadly, Deadly Staff. The point of this "Highlander" thing isn't really making strong, optimal decks or having a lot of room to build.

While the deck restriction is stifling and makes you want to pull your hair when you realize your build isn't valid because it has 2 Bludgeons, the actual gameplay is very fun and different. The power level is all over the place, you get to know exactly that you're not going to deal with the same card twice, you have to think twice before burning your strong step cards as movement cards unlike when you're running CoB and you don't mind throwing away VThrusts. You have to gauge exactly where to use that one Nimbus, that one Purge, that one Anvil Strike, that one TK

This format isn't really that much about decisions, but rather, the lack of them. You have to play around how stifled and unfocused your are, and it is really, really wild and fun

CT5, kustaa, Flaxative and 2 others like this.
  4. kustaa

kustaa Lizardman Priest

Yeah, there's a reason this build idea comes from a thread titled "Bad Casual Game Ideas". It's not meant for serious competitive play; instead, it's just a fun way of switching up your play.

Also, regarding racial movement, I think that it should count towards the Highlander build, because if you're going to do something as ridiculous as this build, might as well go all the way.