High Mountain Pass tips

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by StormbringerGT, Aug 2, 2013.

1. StormbringerGT

StormbringerGT Mushroom Warrior

I was wondering if anyone could help me push through High Mountain Pass.

I am stuck on the board that has the ogre priest and ogre and around 8 goblins. The goblins completely shut down my magic users ranged attacks. My cleric and warrior just get surrounded and beat to death while the ogre priest runs up and lays curses all over my guys. I have been wiped close to a dozen times so far. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I am using a Dwarf Warrior, Human Mage and Elf Cleric.

2. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

For the wizard, this is a good place to get him encumber effects and lots of lava. You then want to use your encumber on the ogres to keep them at a distance. Drop some lava on them when you can.

Warrior and priest should pack lots of chop attacks. With so many goblins they'll usually be able to hit 2 targets, and this also helps them draw out all the blocks goblins can carry.

3. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I didn't really use any encumber effects on those fights, just lots of lava.

In all of the ogre fights you really want to keep an eye out for any opportunities to use the ogre's Mindless Battlerage to your advantage.
    When that card is attached, killing just one goblin can trigger a nice chain reaction which will make your job a lot easier.

For a nice example, see this fight.

4. StormbringerGT

StormbringerGT Mushroom Warrior

Thanks to both of you. Using a combination of slowing the ogres and dropping lava got me through that fight and the next one! Thanks! :D

Next week:

How do I not suck at multiplayer? :p

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I just beat this today. I didn't use any encumber, but did have a lot of lava and chops (trying out my new Giant's Battleaxe) and added some Impenetrable Nimbus (recently got a second Shielding Token). Put the nimbus on however has the best melee attacks this round, then dash up to an ogre; the ogre's sweeps will kill any gobs nearby. Healing Pulse is also good for drawing out blocks, especially Reflect Missile.:cool:

6. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

I struggled on this one today. For what it's worth, terrain effect placement can pretty much keep the ogres off you completely as they won't willingly put themselves on it. Acid spray is fantastic since it basically gives you a big ass wall.

Chain reaction battle rage kills are fun when possible, but you can't count on it.

And for what it's worth, the weak gobbos pack weak blocks, so save the bashes for the ogre or shredder goblin, only use your chops and higher damage attacks so they have trouble blocking.

7. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Other ways to bring out the blocks like Healing Pulse which Kalin mentioned are Elvish Insight and Whirlwind Enemies.

8. fizzyted

fizzyted Kobold

I finished this today and wanted to share some tips as I found these specific adventure threads useful. I made it through with no retries using a human warrior, dwarf warrior, and a human priest. Both warriors were loaded up on chops, heavy armor, and blocks. The priest was exclusively buffs. I thought about including Impenetrable Nimbus but ended up focusing on card draw (Inspiration) and Frenzy (Mass Frenzy and Righteous Frenzy). In each map I looked for the bottlenecks where I could place my warriors to face only 2 goblins and with a hand full of Strong and regular chops plus buffs I could take out the weak ones in one hit. Focusing on attacks above 5 damage is key as that lets you avoid all of those weak blocks. For the ogres, I took out the priests first, which was usually easy as they draw Defensiveness a lot. Just use a mobile warrior to draw the other big guys away. Then for the big ones I would avoid them until getting a very strong hand and then let them approach the warriors. Most times one of the warriors would die, but do enough damage for the other to finish them off. I realize now Nimbus would have helped there. Also the wizard encumber / lava strategy would probably work well if you have more wizard items. Good luck and thanks everyone else for the tips!

9. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

Don't run up to the enemies on these maps, let them come. Try to find a position where only a limited number of goblins can attack you. If you get surrounded, you're quickly dead. Terrain spells or smart use of the existing map both work.

Watch out for the Goblin Shredders. These are the real nasties on these maps, not the ogres.

One possible tactic is to equip a warrior or two with lots of parries and go base to base with an ogre. If you're lucky enough, the ogre will sweep at your warrior, which you can parry, and kill a few adjacent goblins in the process.
    If you do that, try to avoid line of sight with the priest because you won't have blocks against his attacks. Usually, you can hide from the priest or stay out of his range while you finish off the melee guys first. If the priest is alone, he's easy to kill.

If you have ranged attacks on your Wizard, don't waste them on gobbos. Hit the big ogres.
    Volcano is useless because those gobbos always seem to have yet another move :(

For Warriors, Chops work best because you'll nearly always have more than one gobbo next to you. If you have a priest stack up mass frenzy and impenetrable nimbus.

High Mountain Pass is one of the most difficult adventures. I've beaten it with triple human mage, triple elf cleric, hum war / dw war / elf clr and human war/war/wiz. All possible but none easy.

10. Leo123

Leo123 Kobold

beat to death while the ogre priest runs up and lays curses all over my guys. I have been wiped close to a dozen times so far. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

11. fizzyted

fizzyted Kobold

If the priest is giving you grief you should think about your positioning. They can't move that much each round and most of the maps have space for you to get out of his line of sight. I did best when I stuck to areas where I could either draw in the smaller goblins and take them out without big guys around, or using the Mindless Battlerage technique from a distance. I also had success using a mobile warrior (could also use Impenetrable Nimbus or lots of Parry for this) to draw the big guys away from my wizard or priest. Finally, you could try drawing everyone to one side and sending a quick warrior around the other way to take out the priest. Once you get close he is much easier to deal with due to Defensiveness and his lack of powerful melee.

12. Shoe

Shoe Mushroom Warrior

I'm having troubles with this one too. How do you keep the goblins from swarming your guys? I have Elf wizard, elf cleric and Elf fighter....should i swap someone out? I havent tried much chopping yet, maybe that will help me. I used a lot of high damage stuff (8-14) on the goblins and tried to use Impenetrable Nimbus on my fighter to have the ogre do the heavy lifting, but the goblin swarms just block EVERYTHING.

I wish I had more stuff my mage could use to force discards...I'll try again with chops. Best axe I have is unfortunately Hefty Choppers

13. fizzyted

fizzyted Kobold

I would ditch the elves, personally, probably in favor of dwarves. Hopefully they aren't your only characters! Their low HP makes them too weak in my opinion, especially in an adventure like this where the mobility is only so useful. The mobs tend to group, so even if you can use Slippery or whatever to move around a lot you are still going to have issues with swarming. Chops are a good call, though, see if that helps. I would also probably either go Priest Warrior Warrior or Wizard Wizard Warrior. That way you can make sure you get lots of attack cards in the former or can just use your warrior to absorb hits and kite enemies away from your wizards in the latter. Good luck!

14. AngryUSAMan

AngryUSAMan Orc Soldier

I like to group all my characters behind the blocking terrain near the start point so that the Ogre Magicker can't see me to cast any curses. I wait for the goblins to approach me and use a shield with parries. If a character has a parry, I let the big ogre advance to them and get an attack in before parrying his attack which also hits the goblins. Normally, the goblins will block the ogre's advance so that he can't place his big 4 square figure adjacent to your characters. Take out the goblins first, hopefully when Mindless Battlerage can kill more of them, but that's not totally necessary to win. I use a priest with 5 Mass Frenzy and 2 warriors with big attacks like Obliterating Bludgeon that I save so that I can take out the big ogre quickly and 1 shot any of the goblins. Chops are also a good idea like many people have mentioned. If one character takes a big hit from the ogre, try to rotate him behind your other characters before he takes another one which will put him near death. After everything else is dead, I just wait for the Ogre Magicker to draw Defensiveness before blitzing him with a couple of saved up move cards.