High-Level Competitive Build

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by deepthroat, Jun 7, 2014.

1. deepthroat

deepthroat Kobold

This build is a variation of the Divide and Conquer build, popularized by PaladinGP in this post. The characters are all dwarves, for the racial advantages.

Wizard
    Staff of Winter
    Trembling Staff

Sarigo’s Wand
    Rod of Winds
    Rod of Winds
    Bewlin’s Baffling Bauble

Thin Sparkling Cloak
    Greenguard Boots

Solid Rock
    Electroporter Novice

Warrior 1
    Vibrant Pain
    Infused Greatclub
    Blazing Shortsword

Captain Cedric’s Helm
    Xander’s Mail
    Rusty Buckler
    Sliding Boots

Solid Rock
    Savvy Attacker

Warrior 2
    Vibrant Pain
    Infused Greatclub
    Blazing Shortsword

Captain Cedric’s Helm
    Bern’s Untouchable Mail
    Twisting Shield
    Salazar’s Sandals

Solid Rock
    Savvy Attacker

This deck has four Team Run cards to gain better position after one's own or an opponent's Whirlwind / Whirlwind Enemy cards. They can also be used for general positioning.

The wizard takes advantage of trait cycling, with nine traits. The wizard also has four Whirlwind Enemy and three Whirlwind cards to break opponent formations. Two Sparkling Cloth Armors help move the wizard out of harm's way whenever damage is taken. Teleport Self and Hard to Pin Down from the Greenguard Boots also help the wizard's survivability. The Bewlin's Baffling Bauble provides significant card advantage over an opponent. The wizard is rounded out with a Staff of Winter for encumbrance.

Each warrior is equipped with a Vibrant Pain for obvious reasons. The two blue token Infused Greatclubs have two Obliterating Bludgeons for high-damage output. The Blazing Shortswords are equipped for good damage output and residual fire damage at no token cost. The Rusty Buckler and Twisting shield are also good, lower token alternatives to the popular Slippery Shield.

The two warriors have multiple Officer's Harnesses as a buffer to an opponent's Short Perplexing Rays. The potential damage reduction of retaining multiple armors is also a bonus.

The Solid Rock dwarven skill is marginally better than Perfect Toughness. Solid Rock has Toughness, Immovable, and Parry. Perfect Toughness has two Toughness cards and a Rusty Armor. Toughness and Parry can both provide card advantage. Immovable, as a trait, allows for a free card draw. While Perfect Toughness is a good skill, the Rusty Armor makes it inferior to Solid Rock.

This build is not fully optimized due to a lack of certain items, but feel free to make your own comments and suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
  2. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

You should add that it's the exact build Stexe is playing

Ghostbrain likes this.
  3. Ghostbrain

Ghostbrain Ogre

I wouldn't have a problem with whirlwind decks if I had two VP! But nice deck anyhoooooooo!

4. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

With 2 VPs like you have it's not hard to build a very competitive deck, and this one appears to be so. I don't know about the Officer's Harness thing, though. I have 2 Xender's Mails and I changed them for the Spiked Tlahuitzli for the excellent Barbed Platemail and the trait. Most of the competitive decks have only one wizard with 3 SPR at most (Divide and Conquer) or none (2 war 1 priest), so I don't think you really need a SPR counter at the high rank. Plus, the Officer's Harness are very bad on the first turn you draw them because you could be drawing a much more useful card instead. I have seen players using VPs along with Xender's Mail and Captain's Cedric Helm and then blaming luck when they didn't draw their NS. Well, with items with more traits like Weakling's Helm and Spiked Tlahuitzli you would draw them more often.

Flaxative likes this.
  5. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I asked the admins to remove that because it was specifically calling me out. The person made a fake alt account, stalked my games, and then reported exactly what I'm using in an attempt to hurt my season ratings.

If we do a season in the future, all builds should be made public so as to avoid this type of selective attacking. It is just lame and the fact they hide behind an fake account is pathetic.

6. PaladinGP

PaladinGP #1 in Spring PvP Season

Shall I post my build to even things up? I think that'd be a nice thing to do.

Stexe likes this.
  7. PaladinGP

PaladinGP #1 in Spring PvP Season

OK, in the interest of fairness, here's my deck from the Stexe match. I'm currently playing with changes, however:

Kronungor
    Level 18 Dwarf Wizard

Dawizak
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Hirnvarn
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  8. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

PaladinGP, your grace both in winning and losing and your all-around sportsmanlike and gentlemanly conduct in-battle and out of it continues to be an inspiration and a delight. In my eyes you have already won, whatever it is you're trying to win. You would represent our sport with dignity and honour should the searchlights of the wider world be turned upon it. You'd do us all proud should you be interviewed in sportscasts on TV, the net or newspapers. Thank you!

9. Stexe

Uh, you should have seen him when I was winning and he went psycho that I would not fight him. He was not quite the gentleman he shows here. Just being fully open so I'm not always seen as the "bad guy" in these things.

10. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I'd like to add that there's no evidence this is an alt account (which is very much against the forum rules). The initial thread was removed due to specifically claiming certain behaviour which could be considered shaming, and I questioned the general motivation of the thread. There's no rule against posting decklists or observations of any players decks or strategies in general (and I also consulted Flaxative about how he viewed deck information in light of the pve season), thus there's currently no reason to remove this thread at this point.

Flaxative, Jarmo and neoncat like this.
  11. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Well, I can only go by what I've seen and I've seen commendable actions and words from PaladinGP on so many occasions over a long period of time that my appreciation finally bubbed over from mere thoughts into a post. I don't expect perfect behaviour from anyone, we're all merely human here, but I feel it's also okay to gush a little every now and then when the occasion merits it.

Flaxative and Stexe like this.
  12. Fyra

Fyra #1 in Spring PvP Season

How can i have missed this thread? Must be the juiciest thing out there. And in defense of PGP, the season is REALLY stressful. I was there to view his meltdown, and its actually so uncommon for him to whine/yell like that (apart from other rages, me included) that i actually took notice of him doing so, much unlike his otherways humble personality.

neoncat and Stexe like this.
  13. Stexe

Yeah, the season is stressful because the rewards are poorly arranged (huge differences between first and second place when scores are heavily due to luck and your opponent match ups) and the fact you're competing against people without direct competition. Imagine in a sports game where the enemy could win the year without ever actually playing your team ... it just doesn't really work out.

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Or just chill out and get whatever free crap I'm giving you? :p

Sir Veza, CT5 and Jarmo like this.
  15. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

You're asking the most competitive players in the game to not take your season so seriously. Good luck with that :).

Stexe likes this.
  16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Nah. I'm asking them to not take themselves so seriously. :(

Bandreus, CT5 and Jarmo like this.
  17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Always a worthy goal. Good luck with that :).

CT5 and Flaxative like this.
  18. Stexe

Competitive people will be competitive. They take competitions seriously. :-P

19. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

That's not what he was saying. Just saying.

Flaxative likes this.
  20. Stexe

Except that's exactly what he was saying. People won't "chill out" when there are exclusive rewards out there. If it was just chests with no title or figures it might be different.