Hidden Gem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Krizmn1, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Krizmn1

Krizmn1 Mushroom Warrior

Sometimes you can find hidden gems on the internet. These are often indy games or small developers like this one. I consider Card Hunter a hidden gem.

Another game that I've been playing for awhile is Visual Utopia. It's much different from card hunter, and it looks very rough :) But once you get into the game, it's insane. Does anyone else have any hidden gems?

------[http://visual-utopia.com/]------

2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I'm going to try very hard not to pimp my own stuff here, and will instead recommend that everyone in the world play Nidhogg.

kogi and Megadestructo like this.
  3. Krizmn1

Krizmn1 Mushroom Warrior

Farbs that game frickin rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why I love these types of threads. Just curious though, can you post your games?

4. StormRaiser

StormRaiser Mushroom Warrior

it's been around for quite a while now but I think Atom Zombie smasher falls into this category.

5. Krizmn1

Krizmn1 Mushroom Warrior

http://www.odysseyreborn.com/

This game is actually much older than Ultima Online and almost all visual mmorpgs out there. I started playing it when I was 13. I am 32 now. But the game was actually out before that. Back in the day it had about 500 total players. Now it's just a small cult following and random new players. At the most you might find 50 players online playing. The creator of the game passed on the game to a famous player. That player eventually passed it to another player and so on. It has finally been passed down to someone new about 6 months ago.

The original site is http://odysseyclassic.com/ it contains old archives, but only I think up to 5 years ago.

The game was completely done by an indie coder and all graphics done by players over the years. I just find it amazing that it has continued to survive by the will of old school gamers.

[​IMG]

6. The original title of this thread would have been too long: "[Games] What Games Have You Played That Others May Not Have Heard Of?"

So, are there games you have played that fellow users probably never heard of let alone played?

Dark Eden for PC.
    A Korean made multiplayer game in the vein of Diablo. It may be sprite based, but the sprites are nice. There are two factions: Human Priests and Vampires. I doubt if the game is still around due to the rampant speed hackers and deletion hackers (people who would delete your account) but it was fun for the time I played it.

Starsiege for PC.
    Back in high school I played the demo for this. It was alright for the time.

Starsiege: Tribes for PC.
    The best first person shooter I ever played. It was a multiplayer only game. I played the ever-loving hell out of the game until Sierra closed their servers in 2008.

7. Krizmn1

Krizmn1 Mushroom Warrior

lol or you could post this under my hidden gem thread >.> It's basically the same thing.

8. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Brendan of Blendo Games is a friend of mine (in nearby LA) - his new game, Quadrilateral Cowboy, is going to be awesome.

Nidhogg is also amazing!

Right now, everyone's heard of it but Lucas Pope's "Papers, Please" is really, really fantastic. Highly recommend it.

9. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Do you mind if I combine the two threads? Or are you going for something else, LSL? I don't want to step on any toes. :)

10. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I'll second Papers, Please - but as Mega said, most people probably heard about it by now. I'll put a word in for Age of Decadence which an old buddy (we used to contribute to the same rpg news site back in the days when crpgs were dying) started as a passion project to prove people wrong. Seems he's winning, even if's been coming out on "thursday" for a few years now. Recently greenlit on steam et c, and his studio is also helping out getting Dead State out there - which looks to be a really cool zombie survival management rpg (now that's a handful). Then there's Heroine's Quest, which I recently completed - wow, just wow. For fans of point and clicks and/or the Quest for Glory series.

AoD is in early access on steam, and there's a demo. Heroine's Quest is out - and amazingly free! Dead State is still a bit away I think.

11. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

You should ask Jon about the Tribes franchise some time :)

12. Krizmn1

Krizmn1 Mushroom Warrior

Wow, downloading Heroine Quest now. Going to check out all the rest later.

http://ultimasixonline.thezogcabal.com/ --Remember Ultima 6? Someone made an online version. It is 98% the same as the original game. You don't connect to friends, but rather it's the exact same game but other people play. If you get an npc to join your party, they leave when you log off the game. You can ignore the other players in the game and just play it solo. As a kid I used to dream about this game being online. Totally worth trying out if you are a true old school gamer.

[​IMG]

They added cloud effects. The taverns now have random new npcs, obviously so everyone can have a party of 6. The npcs from taverns are permanent if you want them to join. They also added room you can buy in the castle to store items. Besides this, the game is an exact copy. Major props on the creator for taking the time to remake this game.

13. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

One of my all time favorite RPGs was a PC shareware game called Nahlakh. Nice simple graphics, turn-based combat, lots of areas to explore, etc. But best of all was the fact that every skill improved as you used it, and this completely replaced experience points and leveling (you could also buy stat improvements, but skills were the main focus).

14. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Man, remember that game Freedom Force??

Pengw1n likes this.
  15. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Real talk: I loved Freedom Force. I love anything comic-book related and RTS related. And with RPG elements.

"Might makes right!"

LeisureSuitLoli and Pengw1n like this.
  16. Pengw1n

I loooved Freedom Force.

17. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

IIRC - Dorian, Jon, and Ben all had major roles in the creation of Freedom Force and its sequel...

18. Pengw1n

Hehe, yeah. I know, I just guess flagrant fanboyism isn't my thing. Just kinda funny that some of these people are are responsible for some of my favourite games, didn't know that when I got wind of Card Hunter - so the street cred wasn't even needed to win me over.

19. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Starseed Pilgrim! I will be snooty and elitist until you prove your cleverness by beating it. (Yes, it does have a win condition.) :p

20. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Alright, I got tired of posting in two threads so I merged 'em. All on me. :)