Help with Dense Woods (Black Oaken Heart 3)

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by dwarmin, Feb 27, 2015.

1. dwarmin

dwarmin Kobold

Humm, anyone got any tips for this one?

Seems I'm getting constantly bombarded by limbs and acorns from impossible range through blocking terrain, and the trees just destroy my guys up close. They also just sit and do nothing, if I don't actually move into their range to die...died like, ten times in a row or something. Playing Elf Cleric/Fighter and Human Wizard. Tried a few builds-nothing seems to work. Wizard gets dead as soon as he steps into the open. Trees squash cleric and fighter, who seems to never draw any actual attack cards. Been seeing alot of four movements and a parry, lol.

I sort of like this game, have been playing awhile, but this is my first real roadblock. I've been getting really frustrated with the game lately, and this is getting on my last nerves.

Any help?

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Try to jam Reliable Mail if you have any items with it; it really does wonders against the acorn attacks. I recommend drain attacks on the priest, fire or control (Gusts of War/Telekinesis) on the wizard, Parry/bashes on the warrior.

3. Accent

Accent Hydra

Impenetrable Nimbus lets you be aggressive with your wizard, so you can use burning attacks (preferably Firestorm) and take the trees down relatively quickly. Of course, try and end your turn with the wizard either behind cover, or with your priest within line-of-sight so you can refresh that next turn.

4. dwarmin

dwarmin Kobold

Well, I did it, took me thirty minutes running around in circles with only my cleric, healing, poking and retreating, fighting only the single tree left...fun. At least I won this time.

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The first time I played it my wizard and warrior died instantly. My priest had Quellic's Boots and a lot of vampire attacks and slowly eked out a win.

6. Accent

Accent Hydra

Vampires: consistently campaign MVPs.

7. dwarmin

dwarmin Kobold

Ugh, dat AOE. The real trick is just zoning and knocking down the big trees before they destroy you entirely. The acorn things can be negated with reliable mail or just kited, tho they can still kill you pretty easily, especially if you are weak-I think they have a card that does single target damage in the vein of like 7...at 8 range, like the acorn barrage and the limb strike thing...gaggh...

It's like, dah, move your wizard right there...*acornx12 first turn from across the map*...alright, let's try to get into a corner, stay out of their range...*melee attacks+10 dam*...

I sort of wish there was more rough terrain to kite the trees of doom. It seems they either blow you up from 8 range, or squash you into a corner and root+pound on you.

Oh yeah, and it's funny even if you manage to survive and your final character has no/very little bludgeoning damage, since that last tree is immune to it...that happened to me and the game just sort of mercy killed me, making all my armors fail for three attacks in a row. :p

8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I often run a smoke wizard on these to prevent ranged attacks. The bursts can still hit you if you're too close to the edge, but I can usually get into range with little or no damage. If I draw smoke, of course.

Mr. Magnifico likes this.
  9. Grimmace

Grimmace Ogre

I dare say that the tree levels are the ones i've played more than any other.
    The key is simple, fire! Often i play 3 fire wizards. Mix up the attacks as much as you can.
    Sometimes you can take a big tree down in 2 turns if they draw the combustible.

I understand you are early days and only have the one party at this stage probably,
    but even acquiring a second wiz at level 10 at the tavern, or leveling him up a bit will do the world of good.

If you dont have amazing fire gear yet, use Burning Bangle , Blister Stone ,

Furnace Staff , Staff Of Blazes , and so forth,

Sir Veza likes this.
  10. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

I use volcano a mage and a control/smoke mage along with a barge/bash/block warrior. Smoke stops ranged attacks, warrior beats back the occasional tree that gets too close and volcano will do the heavy lifting for you most of the time.

Illusitory barrier often works well too. Screens the range attacks and slows down the melee trees