Help the Weak miss-targeted Beta 2.34

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by PIZZA, Jul 21, 2013.

1. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

Hello, curious if I just misinterpreted the card, does Help the Weak go to the character with the lowest hit points, even if they don't need healing?

Daefee heals Macfox
    Daefee reacts!
    Talented Healer triggered draw for (eventTargetGroups).
    Daefee drew Help the Weak.
    Macfox recovered 4 HP.
    Gary passed.
    Daefee bestows a martyr's blessing upon Macfox
    Gary passed.
    Daefee heals the person in most need.
    Daefee recovered 0 HP.

[​IMG]

BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Msg=The active player is now PIZZA
    BATTLE LOG: Player=PIZZA,Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Event=PlayAction,Action=Heal,Instigator=Daefee,Targets=Macfox
    BATTLE LOG: Player=PIZZA,Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Talented Healer,TriggeringActor=Daefee,AffectedActors=,TriggerType=Action,TriggerLocation=ActorAttachment
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Msg=PIZZA drew Help the Weak for Daefee
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Msg=Macfox healed 4
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Msg=The active player is now Gary
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Msg=Gary passed.
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Msg=The active player is now PIZZA
    BATTLE LOG: Player=PIZZA,Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Event=PlayAction,Action=Martyr Blessing,Instigator=Daefee,Targets=Macfox
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Msg=Attaching Martyr Blessing to Macfox
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Msg=The active player is now Gary
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Msg=Gary passed.
    BATTLE LOG: Player=PIZZA,Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Event=PlayAction,Action=Help the Weak,Instigator=Daefee,Targets=
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Room=ROSE (PIZZA),RoomID=6294,Msg=Daefee healed 5

2. That has been my experience too (and in versions prior to 2.34 as well) Not sure if its a bug per se, but perhaps the logic could be beefed up to only look at characters below max health (like the condition on talented healer). many times, it has healed my full-health elf wizard, when my Human warrior needed it.

Of course, It could be an intentional balancing factor: It's a reasonably widely available, moderately powerful heal, with no LOS or Range restrictions.

3. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

Yeah, I can see it as an intentional balance too. If you are running an elf wizard with a dwarf warrior, you really need to keep that in mind.

Stefan likes this.
  4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

It does say "lowest health" not "most injured", so yes, you'll help the weak whether they need it or not.

5. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Correct. It's an intentional downside of the card.

Ineptie and PIZZA like this.
  6. Stefan

Stefan Mushroom Warrior

The same is happening to me, Two or Three times I have had Help The Weak target the closest ally That was at full health and not the Ally that was One more square away that was low on health.
    I would think that if an ally is at max health then it should look for an ally that is at least damaged.
    I think that running elf wizard with a dwarf warrior makes this useless.

7. Stefan

Stefan Mushroom Warrior

Hi PIZZA
    what are you using to get Screen Grabs?

[​IMG]

8. Colliwinks

Colliwinks Kobold

The print screen key?

9. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I prefer Alt-PrintScr myself; it only captures the active window, not the whole screen.

10. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

I'm on a mac, so Command+Shift+4+spacebar will allow you to save a window to the desktop. You can see me looking up screen capture in one of those tabs :D

11. Stefan

Stefan Mushroom Warrior

Ok then where are they saved?
    I tried a few programs but none work with flash based screens.

12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

The PrintScr key puts the image on the clipboard, so you need to paste it into an image editor to save it

13. tempo

tempo Kobold

Could someone clarify how Help The Weak is really supposed to work? Today, it healed someone who was at full HP instead of someone who was damaged. I was really confused when it happened, but after reading this thread, it seems like it's supposed to heal the character who has the lowest HP regardless of damage, not the character who currently has the lowest percentage of HP remaining. So either the card's not working correctly, or the card text needs to be adjusted ("lowest health" is ambiguous).

Arena Battle 1-5,Room=ARN1 (tempo),RoomID=885528

Other threads about this confusion:
    http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/help-the-weak.1348/
    http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/team-help-seem-to-heal-my-wizard-everytime.1506/
    http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/bug-help-the-weak-dont-heal-the-most-need.1746/

14. Stefan

Stefan Mushroom Warrior

I think the way it works is based on the Base HP in your group, then closest to the caster.
    So if your Wizard is at say 16hp and Max HP is close to you but your Warrior is at 16hp but is one or more spaces past that of the Wizard Help The Weak will cast on the closer Wizard.
    Sometimes the name on the cad is just a guide and it is not possible to name cards in a long winded way, in this ase you need to read the body of the text.
    Heal 5 to your ally with the lowest health. Ties are resolved in favour of the closest.

15. tempo

tempo Kobold

The name of the card isn't the issue. The phrase "lowest health" is what's problematic. In your example, you state that the Wizard is at full HP, but you don't state whether the Warrior is injured. If the Warrior is injured, I would expect the Warrior to be healed, regardless of how far away they are. After all, between the two characters, the Warrior has the "lowest health" because it's injured. If the Warrior isn't being healed, then the card description is completely misleading.

16. Stefan

Stefan Mushroom Warrior

There are not many parties where a Wizard and Warrior have 16hp and the Warrior in not injured.
    Based on at I would have expected people to expect the Warrior to be injured.

17. tempo

tempo Kobold

Okay, but that still doesn't explain why this card is behaving in this weird way. ;-P

18. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I disagree that the card description is misleading, it behaves exactly as the rules on it state:

Help The Weak: Heal 5 to your ally with the lowest health. Ties are resolved in favour of the closest."

To take Stefan's example, we have an injured warrior at 16HP and an uninjured wizard at 16HP. Who has the lowest health? Neither, it's a tie because they both have 16HP. Therefore, the closer character is healed even if it's the wizard who already has full health. As Jon has said, this is how the card is supposed to work.

19. tempo

tempo Kobold

I disagree. A character who is injured does not have the same "health" as a character who is not injured. They may have the same number of HP (16 in the example), but the injured character with 16 HP is not as healthy because it is injured (i.e. it is not at its max HP). The uninjured character with 16 HP is in better health because it is uninjured (i.e. it is at its max HP).

Thus, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect a card whose purpose is to heal the character "with the lowest health" to heal the character who is injured. The fact that there are other threads where players brought up this very issue leads me to believe that I am not alone in my confusion of how this card is worded.

Edit: I should offer a suggestion rather than just describe my confusion. For the card to work the way that you state it works, I recommend that it say: "Heal 5 to your ally who currently has the lowest HP." That makes it clear that this card does not take into consideration any damage incurred or a character's max HP when it is played.

20. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Nothing in the game uses the term "HP", so players who aren't familiar with RPGs may be confused. For me, the current behavior is exactly what I'd expect from how it's worded.

Question for everyone who doesn't like the current behavior:
    Let's say your elf wizard is at 11 health (6 less than max) and your dwarf warrior is at 17 health (16 less than max). Which of them would you wish to be healed?