Hearthstone

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shazbot, Oct 16, 2013.

1. shazbot

shazbot Mushroom Warrior

Has anybody had a chance to play it? Both Card Hunter and Hearthstone are F2P card collecting games, I wonder how Blizzard handles loot/transactions/etc. Can Card Hunter learn anything from Hearthstone or vice versa?

2. attog

attog Mushroom Warrior

I have played it, it is a standard CCG game, not a hybrid like CH. CH has more depth due to the nature of the maps, movement, etc. But CH also has more randomness to it as well. Apples and oranges although I'm sure when Hearthstone releases just the fact that Blizzard is a behemoth and people will initially flock to their product, it will certainly hurt the number of CH players online each day.

3. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Similarly, there's also Scrolls and SolForge.

I wasn't too impressed with SolForge, because (1) it was terribly unbalanced such that a match consists solely of the race to play the uber-OP "I win!" card first, and (2) individual turns are so constrained that you're not really making tactical or strategic decisions, you're just stacking a slot machine every so slightly more in your favor each turn.

Haven't played Scrolls, though. Just got into the Hearthstone beta.

4. Arondight

Arondight Kobold

ive watched a lot of hearthstone review's and i find CH much more complex, strategic and much fun to play on free time.
    HS is to straightforward. ( wait for mana > Summon monster/spells > attack ) thats it. pokemon tcg has more depth than HS.

5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yeah, while I think HS will probably be a blast - it's a plain classic CCG. Solforge was was dull & generic I quit in the tutorial (almost never happens for me). Bought and played Scrolls for a bit, but got pretty bored since I don't want to go full pvp with my gaming.

6. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Another one I forgot to mention - Ironclad Tactics. It's gotten good reviews, and seems to have decent single and multiplayer. It's high up on my list of games to try out.

7. Arondight

Arondight Kobold

ironclad tactics looks good.
    i gotta say, it really is a good year for tcg/ccg online games.

8. progammer

progammer Ogre

Just a heads up, it is not a true TBS as it has a very short timer between turns (about 5s). Quick decision making is favored here.

9. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

That's 5 seconds? Really? :confused:

10. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Another thing Hearthstone is lacking that Card Hunter has is PvE - once you play through the tutorial the whole game is basically playing against other people, and some of us (me included) don't much care for PvP. I got the beta key and played 2-3 hours to unlock all the decks, then I quit and haven't gone back since. It's very impressively done, though - actions have a lot of on-screen impact, once you summon bigger guys crowd cheers, explosions look nice etc. I can imagine a lot of people who are sort of bored with CH will switch to HS once they get a beta key.

11. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

Yes, I was disappointed at that when I pre-ordered, then started playing through the first campaigns. I don't regret the purchase as I freely support game companies who develop these kinds of games, but I doubt I'll end up playing much of it.