Having Trouble With Spear-Users, Help?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by LightPhoenix, Feb 16, 2013.

1. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some tactical advice. I'm having a lot of problems handling enemies that use spears (ie, the range 2 melee attacks). Specifically, I seem to be have the most problem with troglodytes. Part of me wants to write them off as simply overpowered, however I suspect I am probably not using the right tactics.

For reference, my party consists of: an Elven Warrior who I swap out weapons as needed for adventures; a Dwarven Wizard who lays down terrain and handles armor (but who I swap out for fire or range as needed); and a Human Priest who I'd eventually like to handle healing and buffing/draws (but lack cards to do so).

I usually try to play keep-away, since it seems the spear cards do considerably more damage (and at range) than most other cards. One way to handle them would be to swap out either or both other characters for wizards. However, I'm not overly interested in swapping my party out every time I hit trogs. Blocks don't seem to have a high enough draw rate to be an effective counter, and Armor can only do so much when attacks are doing large amounts of damage. Move cards have limited utility once the enemy closes in, and my Range 2 attacks are significantly weaker. Maybe I just need to grind for better cards?

2. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Grinding for some more cards is effective as it gives you more variety to play with. I would play some other missions and try to get some money together to get some higher armor cards and range 2 cards for your warrior. One stragety I use that a few people forget is the discard cards that the wizard can have on arcane items. Get some of those and the ones that the priest can carry and you can use them to force the trogs to discard their armor when you know you can.

How I won those adventures is I used my warrior as a distraction and led my wizard to focus fire. This and using line of sight is very important, moreso when you meet their wizard

3. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Step cards can be a alternative to ranged attacks if you are also having problems with being kited. Just so you know past level 7 you don't fight any more trogs for the rest of the current level cap.

4. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

Thanks for the advice! I haven't attempted the second Trog adventure again (probably later tonight), but this has given me some ideas. Right after I posted this, I picked up an Ornate Chest with some gold from treasure and hit some higher level items (esp. the thunder sword) that should help my enemy control immensely. After doing a couple other adventures, I think my problem boils down to weak defenses and same-turn control. I picked up a couple of more useful shields and items on adventures that should help.

I just hit level nine last night after finishing the first arena adventure. My starting position on the last board was awful; my cleric surrounded by three enemies and died first turn, and my wizard next to the Dwarf Warrior. Weroth, my Elven Warrior, has perfected the art of running around like an idiot. I bring it up because I really don't seem to have much trouble with other adventures my level despite rough situations. Sure, I'll lose occasionally from bad draws or running an adventure for the first time. While I think my lack of equipment/tactics is definitely part of the issue, I pretty firmly believe Trogs are undervalued in level.