Greenskin High

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by think_panther, Mar 19, 2016.

1. So, this is my second attempt for a custom map. It's not as easy as it seems at first. Enjoy!

Prologue: Being a teacher at Greenskin High is not an easy task, even if you are a troll. Goblin and orc students are true incarnations of chaos! One moment you were teaching them Demonic Tongues 101 and the next, a class riot outbreaks! Time to deliver some old school punishment and send them one by one to the principal's office. Judging from the decorations of his waiting room he's not a funny guy. Not funny at all.

Greenskin High.jpg

Epilogue: Ahh! Troll juice. The teacher's best friend. Good thing you had a good amount of it available. You hear some ghastly screams from the room next door. It seems the principal is "scolding" them. And then silence... Ahh! Silence. The teacher's best friend.

1. Always stay near the orcs so you can hit them in case they use Taunt
    2. The goblin grunts can actually help you gain health if you have Troll Regeneration and they hit you. So does keeping one attack in your hand with Blind Rage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  2. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

I did this on the third attempt. Quite hard. Felt a bit luck based at first, if you don't get troll regeneration it is very hard.

I liked how the students ended up in the office. How did you do that?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  3. Upper Doodads-->Place Doodad-->Markers

4. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Ok. What does the "Focus" marker do?

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

When the map loads, the screen will be centered wherever that marker is. Probably not wise to have more than one.

6. Wandere

Wandere Lizardman Priest

This is a fun concept, but it really is on the hard side. There are so many enemy swarms, and there's really no way to outmaneuver them when the map is so constrained. It took me many, many attempts to win.

I'd suggest probably taking out the Orc Guards. Their Taunt can be almost impossible to play around here, and when there are so many enemies with that swarm potential, being able to choose your targets really is essential. I think the map would probably still be quite difficult, unless I'm missing an obvious tactic, but I think it would certainly edge things towards fairness.

I really love the idea of having the defeated enemies despawn into the office like that, though I wonder whether it would be considered controversial to have them still on the playing field. You could possibly consider separating the board out, just like in Monster Hunt -
    [​IMG]
    - so that you have the playable board, and then separately, the despawning office, with a row of table inbetween, just to make it totally clear that they're out of play.

It's a fun map and a fun idea. I'd love to watch an orc math class. :p

7. Lord Patches

Lord Patches War Monkey

This is a really fun scenario. I especially like the theme and the Prologue/Epilogue. Very creative, well done!

8. I can't remove the Orcs! :D They are what makes this map difficult. This scenario exhibits in a way how annoying Taunt can be even if you are a troll facing weak goblins.
    As for the enemies that go out of play: If they stayed in the field, there would be no need for the principal's office waiting room. And splitting the board would remove the effect of said office being next door to the class.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  9. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Interesting scenario, it took me 2 failures before I realized the best strategy to use and won.

Funny flavour text both before and after the battle, I like the Greenskin High setting, it's a funny concept. Minor change I'd make in the first sentence: "a class riot breaks out!"

I like the set-up you used here, the map looks appropriately school-like and I especially like the use of the detention room as the location where figures go when defeated, very clever and original! That said, the map does need a little polish, there's no lower edges to the board and you should edit the wall pieces because currently only the corner pieces look right, the other pieces should be wall segments. The Troll's desk should also be mirrored since currently the desk is facing towards the class. You might also have to make it into blocking terrain or change it into some other type of desk since the currently one has a thick black outline which represents blocking terrain. Those changes shouldn't take long anyhow, and aside from that I think the map looks good, I like the decals added to the students' and teacher's desk as well as the decor in the principal's room.

As for the gameplay, there's actually a deceptively large amount of strategy to the map, mostly in the form of positioning and prioritizing. On my first try I foolishly took down the regular Goblins first not realizing their weak attacks are your main source of healing. On the second try I went for the Orcs first, because their Taunts hinder your attacks, but that forces you to wade past all the other enemies and likely will kill you. On my third try I actually ran for the corner of the room as soon as I could and prioritized the Shredders since they're the only enemy with range 2 attacks. Once they are gone and you're in a corner there's only 3 enemies left who can hit you and survival becomes much easier, especially if those enemies are regular Goblins. From there the Berserkers should be the next target, having powerful attacks, then the Orcs, then the Goblins and finally the Shamans. If things play out right you should have little trouble getting through droughts of Troll regeneration.

There's still some luck involved in that process, but it's definitely a more strategic map than I thought at first sight and I think it makes good use out of the Troll's deck, it highlights its power well without being too easy or too difficult.

A little polish and I'd say it's an MM-worthy map!

think_panther likes this.
  10. Shouldn't the Goblin Bezerkers be going to Redskin High?

Perhaps red is one of the school colors and it's a spirit day. I'd like an explanation of this phenomenon.

11. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

That my friend, is racist.

Maniafig and think_panther like this.
  12. 1. When they take their pills and their blood pressure returns to normal, they regain their green hue.
    2. Greenskin is the school founder's surname.
    3. Goblins are actually smarter than humans and never had segregated schools

Choose the one you like best

Melancthon, Wandere and Maniafig like this.
  13. I sincerely wish to distance myself from any perceived message about racial superiority in goblins. I simply intended to inquire about whether this scenario took place before or after the decision in Bluk V. Board of Education.

Melancthon and Maniafig like this.
  14. The updated version (fixed the walls and the prologue as Maniafig suggested):

Prologue: Being a teacher at Greenskin High is not an easy task, even if you are a troll. Goblin and orc students are true incarnations of chaos! One moment you were teaching them Demonic Tongues 101 and the next, a class riot breaks out! Time to deliver some old school punishment and send them one by one to the principal's office. Judging from the decorations of his waiting room he's not a funny guy. Not funny at all.

Greenskin High new.jpg

Epilogue: Ahh! Troll juice. The teacher's best friend. Good thing you had a good amount of it available. You hear some ghastly screams from the room next door. It seems the principal is "scolding" them. And then silence... Ahh! Silence. The teacher's best friend.

Attached Files: