Gotcha! Rules FAQ

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by neoncat, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I did some playing around with this on the test server with Tvericus to judge the results. Unfortunately, he discarded his Only Bones so I didn't get an official damage count.

Ginnzacsea had Blind Rage attached and this hand:

AoAhand2.png

So cards in hand trigger left to right (newest to oldest, cards transferred with Battlefield Training counting as new), then attached cards.

2. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

You did get the official damage count and that's right at the end of the log

{[(8 * 2 * 2) + 3] * 2 } + 2 = 72

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    zeroth_hour, PDXTai, Jarmo and 2 others like this.
  3. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Thanks for the research, guys, that's valuable new information! This casts the hobby of trying to get maximal damage in a single attack to new light. New, dizzying horizons for even larger quadruple-digit damage are opening up as we type, as I'm sure e.g. Kalin is well aware!

4. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

There's some excellent insight here. However, in the original spirit of the thread, perhaps let's try to lean more towards concise tidbits which summarize the results of other more ongoing-research-oriented threads? :)

PDXTai, Jarmo and Bandreus like this.
  5. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

If you are under Lava or Spiked terrain and you have both Resistant Hide and Toughness in your hand, Toughness will act first and prevent the damage that it would have been prevented anyway with Resistant Hide (and of course it will be replaced for another card).

neoncat likes this.
  6. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

A clarification: armor is processed from left to right in your hand. Toughness will only be triggered if it is to the left of Resistant Hide. Otherwise, Resistant Hide will trigger first and prevent all damage, and no remaining armor will be triggered.

7. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

1-Res Hide can only prevent a maximum of 2 points from a spiked terrain
    2-I wanna think that it depends on the order of the cards in your hand. If the res hide is your oldest armor card, the toughness will prevent first. In the other case where you draw the Res Hide after the toughness, you won't lose the toughness.

neoncat likes this.
  8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

The cards are applied newest to oldest (left to right) so toughness will be applied only if its a newer drawn card than your hide. The same thing happens for armors... if you have another armor with Resistant Hide, if it's newer it'll roll to reduce fire damage and then the hide will cancel any remaining damage, if it's older, the hide cancels all damage and the other armor is not activated.

*Side note, this also means things like Barbed Platemail will not roll for effect if all damage has been "eaten up" by newer cards.

EDIT: Apparently I'm the slowest of the three responses coming in simultaneously... or maybe just the most verbose.

neoncat likes this.
  9. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

What Scarponi said. Same is important for example with Quick Reactions and Hard to Pin Down

neoncat likes this.
  10. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I see. First, I don't know why I put "or spiked terrain" because it happened to me only with Lava terrain. Secondly, yes, the order of the cards thing makes sense because it happened to me with both wizards at the same time, and both of them had Toughness at the left (meaning that Resistant Hide was older). So, my bad.

ParodyKnaveBob and neoncat like this.
  11. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

It's often the case as Res Hide is usualy kept a long time unlike toughness.

12. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

When you play a damaging AoE spell targeting a single square (Ember Burst, Cave In, Flame Jet...), the first character in the area that will be hit will always be the one standing in the targeted square. Allready knowing that just made me beat the last stage of MM 3 as my three guys with low HP were ganging the last monster and on the last turn (only one star left was needed by the AI) the only damaging attack I drew was Rockfall.
    It's also good to know when two slimes are next to each other and one of them has the attachment that will heal his buddy if he dies first.

doog37, Jarmo, Lord Feleran and 2 others like this.
  13. Lord Feleran

And I had been wondering how this works for some time already. Thanks!
    Edit: now to figure out in what order are the other characters damaged.

14. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

My guess, that would need to be confirmed, is the same order as terrain effect damage - bottom to top, left to right.

15. ttilt

ttilt Kobold

16. Lord Feleran

I'm not 100% sure but with Quick Reactions and Hard to Pin Down and Perplexing Ray you can draw a card which then gets discarded. But if you draw a Hard to Pin Down, you can't block with it because newer cards are checked if they can activate first.

17. If all three opposing characters block an Elven Insight, you do not draw the free card. If even one fails, you will get your card. (If my Elven Insight fishes out 3 blocks, I am happy without the card)

18. Lord Feleran

So if there's only 1 left and he blocks it, you won't draw either I assume :p

Susurrus in Gloaming likes this.
  19. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I believe Simian Reflexes activates at the same time as blocks (before the resolve of the attack). If that is the case, then any armor drawn would be discarded.

Also, as Lord Feleran said, if activates the same time as blocks, and if cards are activated in your hand from left to right (newest to oldest), which they are, then any card drawn by Simian Reflexes would not activate as it would draw to the left of Reflexes and not be subsequently activated as activation continues down the line of cards to the right. This also means if Reflexes and a block card are in the hand, both will activate if Reflexes is to the left, but if it's to the right of the block card, and the block is successful, the attack will be canceled before activating Reflexes and no roll for card draw would happen.

doog37 likes this.
  20. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but this might be important to people interested into building fire-focused parties.

Instant Burn will only activate burning attachments which were cast by the same wizard.

Example:

- Wizard A casts Flame Jet
    - Wizard B casts Instant Burn

The Flame Jet attachment doesn't get activated, but it would if both attacks were cast by the same wiz.