Gold Leagues are Coming

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, May 19, 2014.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Two new leagues are coming with gold entry fees. The new leagues are Graveyard Gambol, the first league to feature multiple character groups (minions) and Death March, a constructed battle in a heavily confined corridor board.

You can find the prize info on the pages linked above, but the prize pools will feature Epic and Magnificent chests for every entrant (even if you place last or win no battles). Normally you'd have to pay pizza for these, so the gold leagues are a great way to turn any excess gold you have into new rare or epic items.

We're running test instances of the leagues on the test server tomorrow, so please jump on if you want to try them out. Here are the times in GMT/UTC. Log onto the test server to see them in your local time.

Graveyard Gambol: Tuesday 20 May 2am
    Death March: Tuesday 20 May 6am
    Graveyard Gambol: 20 May 10am
    Death March: Tuesday 20 May 2pm

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Announced on SRC/loot fairy site; hope it helps get more test feedback!

Pengw1n likes this.
  3. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

How much will that cost? :)

4. Jon

50 gold.

Stexe likes this.
  5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

That's crazy cheap with those prizes! But I guess you're testing the viabilty of certain cost models...

Flaxative likes this.
  6. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

That is certainly a very very affordable price! As you get 3x Magnificent Chest even if you place last, that's a great value!

A Magnificent Chest normally costs 30 Pizza (150 gold) so 3x that is 450 gold worth of chests going for 50 gold, a 89% off sale! And if you place higher than that, it's an even better deal.

Not to mention that Pizza costs real money and 50 gold you can get "for free" by playing a few single player battles, for just a small time investment.

7. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Free Leagues are back 0_o

8. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

"Yes", but there's a big difference, you can't win Pizza from these.

Flaxative likes this.
  9. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Hooray for gold leagues :), Buu to the prize.... 50 gold is way to cheap imo.. i think it could get a price bump to 250g-500g and ppl would still join, and would have a second effect: ppl that cant afford it, would farm more often sp, adding replay value

10. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Us veterans might be forgetting how much 50 gold was in the beginning of our Card Hunter playing. I dimly remember when I had to sell the free Kobold Killer to get money for some good item I wanted. My bank balance was hovering near 0 - 100 for a long time. 50 gold is still a significant amount for new players. Of course, once you've finished the single player campaign, played some multiplayer and maybe farmed a bit, 50 gold is not so much any more.

I'm sure Blue Manchu can estimate from their player bank balance data what is an affordable cost for the volume of players they wish to reach with the gold leagues. It'll be interesting to see if the price will be adjusted in the days to come.

Flaxative likes this.
  11. Pengw1n

50 g is a lot for a new player, agreed - but I was just looking at the entry/prize difference there. Might want to drop the winnings in case they are that "cheap".

12. Jon

Prices may change in the future. 50 gold is immensely good value, I think.

Bandreus, Sir Veza, neoncat and 2 others like this.
  13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yes :)

14. TeleExit

TeleExit Kobold

I hope it get increase to 100-200g at least, Later that is an influx of epic chest into the game.

15. Pengw1n

50 g is immense value for those prizes. I'd suggest communicating it as another "event" or "trial" or some such, so that potentially raising the entry cost in the future won't cause any issues.

neoncat and Flaxative like this.
  16. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

For those rewards, I wouldn't mind paying 500 gold for the entry. As is, I consider it free leagues.

Not complaining, just wondering. Can't you have several payment methods for the same league? Like for example for those rewards fees can be 500 gold OR 10 pizza slices. Both freeloaders and those who don't have the time to farm (or are beginning and are not against a very nice boost) would be happy imho.
    I have always found pizza converted to gold so not worth it.

edit: also it's good for those who hate having leftover pizzas on their account as they can use it all without feeling being scammed.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    neoncat and Flaxative like this.
  17. Questor

Questor Ogre

I thought Gold Leagues will become a gold dump but for 50g it is a treasure hunt.
    Maybe you could make a testrun in the future with the normal Leagues where you can pay either the 50 pizza and the winners get the usual pizza and figure but you could also join with gold but with the prizetable of the only gold leagues. That way the Leagues would be surely more frequented and nobody gets left out. Only of course if the league system can handle this dual way.
    You might have to adjust the winnings in a way that starting with pizza will still be a lot more worth. Just a thought.
    Or the people paying with pizza could be pissed off because the spend pizza and a goldspender won.

edit: I missed Squidy´s post, he has a similar idea with a dual payment method.

Sazanami likes this.
  18. Erisian

Erisian Kobold

Death March has Graveyard's pod text.

50 gold might be a little low for fabulous prizes, but 500 is a lot, too. I have ~700 gold, + maybe 1,000 in miscellaneous junk I could sell. I have completed all the current free modules, most a few times, but in general, I don't like farming. I do, however, love new content and reasons to keep playing cardhunter. So I'm pretty happy with something in the 50-200 range. Too high, and people can be/feel excluded... we already have pizza leagues for that :)

19. e-stab

e-stab Goblin Champion

Great news! Personally I don't mind paying for the club but I'm not the "pay x pizza for a single event" type of guy. It takes part of the fun and enjoyment out of the game for me.

That said, while 50 gp are a nice price for the league indeed, I don't think Squidy's 500 gp are even close to the benchmark for the average gamer. And we need the average gamer for nice and popular events.

20. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Wow, 50 gold? That is crazy cheap. I'm surprised it wasn't 100+. At least we will get a ton of new players in Leagues finally. =)

Flaxative likes this.