Get More Stuff: Changes are Coming to the Card Hunter Economy

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

2. UiA

UiA Ogre

sounds good. 1 question, will there be any chance of getting quests reset for the ppl that have already done most of them ?

3. Questor

Questor Ogre

Those changes sound plausible.
    I only have suggestion, make the purple chest even better. It takes a lot less time to get to the 4th gold than from that one to the purple, that should be rewarded.
    With your method you grind 20 rare and 4 epic items if you reach the purple one. Why not make the purple one 2 epic and 2 rare? It would not make a big difference in the big picture since you pick up rare items along the way but it would be a real upgrade to the 4th chest and a epic chest should be epic and not just a bit better.

4. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Good question. We might be able to handle that on a case-by-case basis (i.e. PM me and ask or email support), but we couldn't do it globally as lots of people probably wouldn't want it.

Stexe, Robauke and Sir Veza like this.
  5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Synopsis:
    MP - Nice buff
    Pizza - Buff
    Pizza Chests - Buff
    Quests - Minor buff
    1st Campaign run - Buff
    SP - Overall nerf

Suggestions:
    SP: Slight overall increase in the treasure drop rate.
    Guaranteed epic for 1 hp quests.
    All Drops: Reduce common drops to about 60%, and spread the remainder in decreasing increments to uncommon and rare. Possibly a partial percentage point increase to epic as well. It should have a very small impact, but would show up over time.

hatchhermit and j3st3ri like this.
  6. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Hmm... two thoughts.

1. The loot bandit, while interesting, doesn't seem very tempting. I don't think I'd ever hunt for him.

2. With the improved quest rewards, perhaps bonus chests could be given to players who have already completed lots of quests? Maybe one epic chest per 5-10 quests completed or something.

hatchhermit and Lord Feleran like this.
  7. UiA

UiA Ogre

while you're at it, I propose adding a disgruntled kobold miner who enchants a module per day to only drop treasure :D

Turbo164, hatchhermit, boro and 2 others like this.
  8. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

*EDIT* ^UiA^ Lol that would be hilarious.
    1: The loot bandit is hidden randomly somewhere among... 40 adventures? Can we at least get a hint or something?? I don't think I will find him except by accident.
    2: The MP chest reward ladder change is a very cool upgrade, but I still feel like the 20 chests is daunting and I won't ever get close. Overall, the changes seem well thought out and keep the original look, so it's pretty neat.

9. The Final Doorman

The Final Doorman Orc Soldier

Great changes! I especially love the changes to the multiplayer reward track. I am hoping that they encourage more people to play multiplayer on a regular basis.

The loot bandit does seem a little difficult to find, but to be honest I am perfectly ok with it being an incidental bonus that players rarely see. Single player loot is already good enough. We don't need another easy to find loot fairy.

10. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Ty for the new pizza rate :)
    Ty for better MP awards :)
    From 15% gold drops in MP to 30%... ok. Since almost everything is buyable now, we can do with more gold :p
    Better quest awards - very good :) But I agree with Veza that 1HP ones could hand out an epic chest or at least one guaranteed epic item :p
    Kobolds - ok, why not. Now everyone can farm whatever they like.
    Bandit - sure!

From SP, ranked MP and leagues the one netting the least loot will still be ranked MP but the difference is a lot smaller now since 1 epic chest you get from leagues has smaller impact now when ranked games start giving that much better loot.

11. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

Rather than hunter for the bandit, why not put up an obvious marker but reduce the payout? Something like 1R 2U 1C would still be worth doing and it would call some attention to the daily login bonus for players who don't read the forums. In fact, you could add a little flavor text about the bandit searching for the fairy (or whatever) as a clue for people who don't know that the Loot Fairy exists.

Also: yes I would like a quest reset, those were pretty much the funnest thing I've done in Card Hunter. I'd take a whole adventure reset if that's available, though I'd like to keep my stuff. Maybe add more quests? No token quests, only common items quests, only [other rarity] items quests, etc. No end to it.

Also #2: is there a reason why the loot fairy never shows for the Mauve Manticore adventures? Those are pretty fun too.

12. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

RIP Jon's inbox. I'd definitely do a reset. So would thousands of others, I think.

Would it be a better idea to introduce a one-time-quest-reset button in the next patch, which appears as a location on the map? In fact, you could have a place called Oracle Mountain (or similar), where the Oracle appears to deal with issues like this when necessary. Oracle: "Adventurers, you are mighty and brave blah blah blah this arcane device will propel you back in time to reconquer all your quests blah blah blah consider wisely, because once used this device will disappear and its use cannot be undone."

Then, Oracle Mountain remains mysteriously empty until the next time you need account holders to make a choice about something affecting how the game plays for them.

Melancthon likes this.
  13. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I'd take a reset. There's nothing to lose.

14. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

There is something to lose. I'd very probably never get back my medal for the Black Plume Mountain 1 HP quest.

Sir Veza likes this.
  15. boro

boro Goblin Champion

Rather than a reset of quests I just want new quests! It's time for some SP love !

hatchhermit likes this.
  16. Questor

Questor Ogre

Don´t do that. The players who finished it before already got a reward and the medal for that.
    And most importantly, i don´t want precious resources allocated to a massive spam of request about resetting quests, or just certain adventures or just certain quests in certain adventures, ...
    You will get swamped with requests from current players or returning players and there will be no end to it and once you realize it, it will be too late.
    Just say no and save yourself and your minions a lot of heartache and time which could benefit the game and the community a lot more.

17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I like the Hidden Bandit. It's good that there is one thing in single player play which cannot be gamed or minmaxed to mundanity. It will never become a daily chore you "have" to do to be an efficient hunter. It will always be a pleasant surprise when it is occasionally encountered. Also, if some players actually are routinely playing through the campaign within a single day, they deserve to find Bandy but I don't think there are many players who do this.

There will be so many systems to gain better-than-normal loot in the game that surely it's OK for one of them to be a bit harder to benefit from? Surely we don't want every single thing to be clearly labeled, signposted and made safe and boring?

Vholes, hatchhermit, neoncat and 2 others like this.
  18. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Eh... MP already had good enough rewards, I think. SP farming got nerfed really badly by the firestorm changes, making it a much easier choice to just play leagues. Now there's really no (loot-based) reason to ever re-play SP.

The loot fairy buff is nice, but it isn't worth hunting through 50-odd adventures when you can get much better loot with an hour or so of MP/leagues. I'm glad there are still folks willing to take part in the regular loot fairy hunt, because I haven't tried since the balance changes.

I agree with @Questor. If you allow resets, you should make an in-game button that does it. Otherwise you'll be flooded with requests.

Here's an alternative, though I don't know how much coding it would take: whenever you complete all quests, your quest rewards "level-up" from 2r2u to, say, 1e1r2u / 1e2r1u / 2e2r.... (if anyone ever manages to complete BPM1HP again :p).

These seem like welcome changes. I was initially a bit miffed that epic chests are now sufficiently cheap that folks might just spend loads of money on them, making the game pay2collect... but then I realized that folks would be spending loads of money on the game in that case, which is good. :D

19. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

The one clear thing that is missing in this list is something to boost the replay-ability of SP. This aspect of the game took a major hit with the firestorm changes that came in the balance patch, and it is getting further undercut by the proposed changes to the Kobold's* and indirectly devalued by the major proposed boost to the MP economy. Quest rewards are only available once, as are 1st time adventure rewards. The Hidden Bandit is a cute gimmic, but drastically insufficient to motivate SP replay.

Lastly I would also note, that though when MP and SP have been compared in loot output it has been virtually unanimously agreed that SP was better, the general consensus has also been that when leagues were included for MP at their current cost and frequency, the gap between the two was small. I will further note that all these assessments came pre-firestorm nerf. Therefore I'm rather surprised that MP is getting as large of a bump as it is with no significant change to the SP replay experience.

*For what it's worth, I think the Kobold change within itself is actually good for the health of SP but is part of the overall devaluing of the SP experience and that's why I mention it.

20. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

A question also on treasure drops: Did normal (non-Kobold) SP adventures have a higher treasure drop rate than MP before? Or were MP and SP the same, and now MP is going to have a higher treasure drop rate? If it was the former then a change definitely was needed, if it's the ladder, that's a problem. Both MP and SP players need gold and both want to be able to buy from stores, it seems weird that one would be favored in getting treasures over the other.

hatchhermit, neoncat and Sir Veza like this.