From Peasant to Adventurer [impressions thread]

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by peasant, Feb 17, 2013.

1. peasant

peasant Kobold

A few days ago, I cracked open my email and saw a support email from Card Hunter, one click later and I'm giggling like a little girl. Instantly I'm off to play Card Hunter.

Simple concerns: Now I played card hunter for several hours strait when I first got it and eventually logged off for the night. When I got on the next morning frankly, I had forgotten which password I had used. I know, I know, blasphemous right? However, if it had been a little lucky that it remembered it was one of my seriously old passwords, I wouldn't be able to play right now since there is a sever lack of "Forgot your password?"/"Forgot your user name?" support. Now i'm just a little fussy since this is super early closed beta, and I fully expect this to come in eventually. I'd just rather see it in place sooner than later. That way if something silly happens we won't lose testers for an extended length of time or permanently.

Technical Concerns: Right, I love the flow of this game from a programmers perspective, everything is very smart and very smooth. However, I play on a chrome browser. Now, I haven't tested this on other browsers but I believe I have found a memory leak inside of Card Hunter itself. I've done QA in my time and I'm highly suspicious that during the discard step when a card is actually torn before discarded there is a memory leak. This leak is significant enough to notice after the completion of about 3-4 matches.

Pizza Economy: Love the terminology by the way. I see no problem with how the extra missions, chest buys, and skin buys for characters works. When I saw the extra quests and the black chest buy, I went uh-oh in my mind. However as long as items attainable through these quests/chest are attainable through other means I have zero problems with this F2P model, and likely will be sinking some cash in eventually for the quests once the game actually goes live.

Leveling: First few missions are tutorials, I get that, after that I had no real problem completing quests until I hit the cursed Kobolds and their giant horde guarding them. Seriously, some of these missions (like the gladiator arena's later) are freaking hard. Perfect. Don't change a thing, an easy game is a boring game.

Classes: The iconic trio of Cleric, Warrior, Wizard is nice and all, but i would love to see further inclusion of other classes such as the Rogue. While yes, you can do silly things
    like triple wizard, triple cleric parties, addition classes will ad more tactical and decision making depth to the game. Frankly as this is a F2P Model, more classes means more class specific cards In the pool, and more skins in the shop = more moneys to make even more epic stuff!

This is just my two cents for now, I might be back latter with more, but if you don't mind, I have some goblins to go and kill.

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

The memory leak is a known factor, it can be avoided by openining and closing the console (F1+F1+F1). Considering this workaround works, I'm hoping that if they can't plug the leak once they go for optimization (they've said they're not started that yet), they can somehow make it autodump on adventure start or something.

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Jason's got this on his to-do list right now!

4. peasant

peasant Kobold

Oh thanks for that I didn't know the console solution! This will speed up my games. I'm certain given this evidence that a solution for this problem is real then :).

:3 lovly