Force Field Overpowered? Or I miss some good counters?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by dashv520, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

Still have not seen a warrior weapon with purging strike that is really worth using. It's unfortunate the EttSC items are all such a high level. A tokenless or single token warrior weapon with purging strike x2 would be great to have. Not sure if the item math works out(flax help me out on this) but Strong Blug x4 + Purging Strike x 2 for a blue token would be nice. Would gladly replace a strongarm with that on a warrior build if I had a spare blue token.

2. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

Also, yes @Bandreus I give you 15 likes
    if I could

Melancthon and Flaxative like this.
  3. dashv520

dashv520 Orc Soldier

I had a deck with two priest each load with 8 impen. nimbus, with some blocks and little heal.
    Perhaps you can win, but probably it will not be an enjoyable experience.

4. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I actually had lots of fun while thrashing nimbus-spammers. It probably wasn't that pleasant an experience for the ones being beaten ;)

Ofc, "enjoyable" is quite subjective. Not sure what you're trying to get at, looks to me like you're trying to say you're not having fun when playing vs. FF (which is fine with me).

But still, you opened a thread asking for suggestions about how to deal with FFs, you got tons of useful feedback, and still somehow you're not satisfied?

All I'm trying to say is, try and think outside of the box and be creative, you can probably deal with FF just fine w/o having to switch to a wildly different build entirely, if only you put some actual effort into it.

Rainingrecon, Pawndawan and Flaxative like this.
  5. Accent

Accent Hydra

The funny thing about these boots, in addition to giving you Force Field, also have a Force Field counter in Warp Run.

6. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

7. dashv520

dashv520 Orc Soldier

I understood why you feel in that way.
    I play CCG and I am a board gamer as well.
    But please understand that we are not new players and there are reasons we said that.

I enjoy quick games with direct fighting instead of hide and seek.
    So playing with/against FF is not enjoyable to me.

I am thankful to have so many advices from you all in a short time! :)
    Yep, I am not satisfied yet and as the "counters" are not so effective.
    From the suggestions so far, instead of using those counters, it seems it's better to simply put FF into the deck.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  8. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Just popping in to say that I've run a purge-bot (maximum purging burst: 16-ish), AND IT WASN'T EVER ENOUGH.

To properly "counter" attachments, you have to run a 1-to-1 ratio of purge to enemy attachments, which means you either run three purge-bots or you accept that trying to counter attachments is dumb and futile.

trrst, Rainingrecon and gulo gulo like this.
  9. esthkol

esthkol Lizardman Priest

I haven't played anything but SP for quite some time, but wouldn't a "kill it with fire!" approach deal well with Forcefield? A burning attachment + Instant Burn would do away with the FF.
    I know from SP that it's fully viable to hit an opponent with enough fire/frost attachments to knock their buffs off -- one can "purge" without having any purge cards by instead overloading a character on attachments. Not sure if that would translate well to PvP.

10. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Oh man, there are sooo many strats I don't enjoy playing against. Burrft, 3x Control Wiz, Blesscano, AoA shenanigans, you name it ;)

Okay, this thread wasn't really about you seeking help in order to better deal with FF, but rather about you despising every card which doesn't involve two players happily exchanging blows in the fastest-possible fashion, until one or the other finally loses the game. Got it.

That looks like a pretty terrible strat. When it comes to purging, I don't feel like you really need to purge every single attachment off. Rather, you just bring barely enough purges in order for you to be able to remove the truly problematic attachments off when it most matters.

It's a pretty viable approach, though not entirely reliable. It's especially effective against players who stack traits/buffs in a pretty hardcore fashion.

Furthermore, if you play 3x Wiz or some other similar build which doesn't involve a priest with purges, pushing attachments off is likely going to be the only tool available to you for removing a problematic attachment from play. At that point is not really a question about whether or not it translate well to PvP, is it?

timeracers and Flaxative like this.
  11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

1. Timing is everything.
    2. It takes a lot of attachments to make Destructive Purge really fun.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  12. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Wiz should have no problem with FF. Control spells alone (not including TK) counter FF, because they decrease it's duration while still fulfilling their primary purpose of moving opponents characters. Thus wiz in general will lose zero-minimal cards to FF. Warriors, and non-purging priests on the other hand will have a fair amount of difficulty.

Melancthon likes this.
  13. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

What answer is that .. was that a joke? Not attacking for 3 rounds is biggest tempo loss that exists in a game. And try pairing that with (probably) receiving attacks for those rounds ..

Anyway - I won't comment Force Field, but I think a good suggestion is -> if you think something is soo OP, try playing it yourself and test .. you'll usually see that its not that much OP, and if nothing, you'll learn weaknesses of that strategy
    and improve you're game against it.

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No. You have 3 characters and your opponent has 3 characters. Attack the ones you can damage. Avoid the one you can't. It's simple technique against nimbus.

Melancthon likes this.
  15. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

That would be level 7(4*3+2*1) cause purging strike is D+(paper+)(1), 3x Strong Blugeon + 3x Purging Strike would be level 6(3*3+3*1).

16. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Purge is a great card, especially if you make use of all the uses. Firstly purging a FF is worth because purges have lower rating than FF(9) which means items with purging cards with have a lower level/token cost than the same items with FF instead. Purge has a rating of 0, Purging burst has a rating of 3, purging strike has a rating of 1. (Item level is = to the rating of the cards added together, if on a 6 card item the total is divided by 2).
    Uses for purges:
    1: regular purging
    2: removing self attached handicaps
    3: triggering blocks (you can imagine how annoying it could be to opponents with Defender's Block)
    4: activating Altruism
    5: changing facing direction (you might need it when playing 1 HP quests)
    6: changing the enemies facing direction (provokes them to face you)

17. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Lolz. If you're wasting deck space on attachments that aren't truly problematic, you're not trolling hard enough.

Accent, Bandreus and Melancthon like this.
  18. dashv520

dashv520 Orc Soldier

Please don't be sarcastic. ;)
    I just gave an example for the kind of game I enjoy most.
    For sure I have fun to play with other kind of games.

I did not have a detailed study for those new items.
    Force Field is such a powerful and unique new card, so I thought there must be some equally powerful new cards to counter it.
    (Or there could be some new effects on the old cards to break it)

I am running a 2 warrior and 1 priest deck with some purges in the priest.
    It can play fairly well against impen. nimbus with some timely purge and passing,
    but it requires more skill and less tolerance to mistakes compared to using impen. nimbus directly.
    Now FF is much more difficult to deal with, as it is the kind of the card that force you to counter it.
    It is not effective to counter it in the old way against impen. nimbus.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Sir Veza and Bandreus like this.
  19. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I think it's worth noting that FF is more expensive than Imp. Nimbus. It's true you can stock up to 4 in a single deck, but that involves giving up 2 major and 1 minor token, so the FF player is potentially giving up a lot of tech and damage potential. For instance, you can't go hardcore-FF and hardcore-bejeweled (or hardcore-basically-anything-else, for the matter) at the same time on a warrior.

So, is FF annoying? Sure it is! But it doesn't come free (both figuratively and literally). This might seem like a crappy point to stress, but I think that lies at the very heart of understanding the various match-ups and how to best approach them.

I don't pretend I have all the needed knowledge, nor can I possibly hope to exacerbate all there's to tell about how to deal with FF in the length of a single post. But you can take measures against it, both at a deck-building level and at the turn-to-turn, decision-making level.

As for "hard counters", I don't know man: purges, assorted attachments of your own, all of the stuff which has been mentioned multiple times in the thread. As for new cards in EttSC, Warp Run and Destructive Purge come to mind, but I think anything attaching handicaps to the enemy can be potentially used to make FF somewhat less effective (which might be enough, especially if coupled with small pokes of damage).

Lastly, I'd point out that (even if you don't have a purge ready at hand) you don't necessarily need to wait three whole rounds for the FF to go away. If you're gonna pass and discard your attacks, you might as well use those to take a tick off the FF.

In short, FF is not a "either purge it or sit for three rounds altogether" affair as one might think. If you're having lots of trouble dealing with FF, maybe you don't have enough tech in your deck? From that point of view, I could see a generally under-used card like Surging Bash to be pretty useful vs FF (push the FF guy away + bringing its duration down by 1 at the same time), for example.

Everything's gonna be very dependent on what your specific build and play-style are ofc. If you play 2xWarrior 1 Priest, then I would strongly suggest you sidestep the FF issue altogether. I.e. focus your output damage on the non FF-enemies instead: again, if your opponent is stocking on FFs, then his damage-potential is most likely going to be much lower than yours, so you should be able to take one of his guys down more quickly than he can.

You could try experimenting with Entangling Roots on your priest: not only will it pin the FF-dude in place, making him much less scary, but the 1dmg will also remove one of the ticks from the FF (assuming he doesn't have blocks or armor in his hand). Not trying to say Roots are the perfect counter to FF though, but just something possibly worth trying.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  20. dashv520

dashv520 Orc Soldier

Thanks for the advice!!!
    Destructive Purge is an interesting card that I will try. (but probably in a new deck :))
    I try Entangling Roots in the past but did not work well as expected.
    I will check if there are some new cards to pair with it better.

I have two frustrating encounters against FF warriors.
    Near the game-end, when the priest/wizards were dead and only the warriors remained on the map.
    I had the upper hand which I managed to hit them from the back avoiding the parries.
    But then they played the FF which basically brought them the victory. :(

I don't have a good solution for this ...
    So I will focus on the damages and hopefully kill them first before they draw the FF. :D

Sir Veza likes this.