First impressions thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jon, Jan 2, 2013.

1. tangmcgame

tangmcgame Mushroom Warrior

I think you might be misreading my point, Wozarg. We seem to be in agreement. I love that this game is difficult. I love that it stomps my ass. I just disagree that the ass stomping should commence within hours of starting the game. In a PAX video, Jon estimated that a level 30 character with the gear it was packing (not sure on quality) would take about 30 hours or so of play time. If that's true then there is enough time for a nice, smooth difficulty curve. Let the new players have fun and stomp some ass, then slow down as adventures get trickier, then scream at the screen as they're stomped time and again. There's room for all three stages, and I feel like I've already been pretty clear about how I feel the early game can be toned down to create that curve.

Wozarg: I'm rocking 6 attacks (+7 Misguided Heals and 2 Bad Medicine; I sometimes use the BM as an opener and the MH as a finisher) on my priest, 21 on my warrior and 24 on the wizard.

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

You know . . . we've derailed the thread. Hrm.

Anyway, the totals look familiar-ish except for the Priest. I'd counted Misguided Heal and Bad Medicine as "attacks," by the way.

I think the "sweet spot" for getting good attack attacks on Priests comes around level 6 and 7. I am using:

St. Xarol's Axe, level 7 rare Divine Weapon
    1 x Strong Chop
    2 x Chop
    1 x Weak Chop
    1 x Unholy Frenzy
    1 x Blind Rage

And just now found:

Vigun's Blessed Blade, level 6 epic Divine Weapon
    3 x Strong Hack
    1 x Stab
    2 x Wavering Faith

Before then, I'd found Long Axe Of Retribution (level 6) and Long Axe Of Repentance (level 4), both of which have range 2 Reaching Swing cards. The versatile melee tactics of a Warrior on a Priest character? Please and thank you.

. . . I've really derailed if I'm doing another discussion of "Priest merit." But my point is that the cards are available, even if you have to use some different strategy to get to these levels.

Edit: none of those items have talent requirements, by the way. If item trading were possible in beta, I'd totally give you one.

3. tangmcgame

tangmcgame Mushroom Warrior

Yup. Those are the weapons I've been using (the one with Reaching Swings) and they're doing all right for me. I think I'm just in a slump. Progress seems damn near glacial. Again, not a problem per se, but I don't think it's appropriate for early game.

4. Sir Knight

Perhaps.

And I just realized I was being foolish: some Priest attack cards I counted in my total came from talent-requiring Divine Items (and one armor!) which obviously don't help in low-level strategy. I also get one Bash card from level 4 Heavy Steel-toed Boots, so there are options; but, again, focusing on Frenzy and such helped the most at the start.

5. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

I debated making a new topic to state this, but these are technically still my first impressions, given the unique circumstance of being able to use someone's account that is very advanced into the content available in the beta. So my very first day playing, I wanted to start as "like new" as possible, so I recruited some level 1 characters and started from the level 1 adventures on up. I already said how much I have loved the game so far and why.

Now I get to the point in this post. Late last night (VERY late, lol), I was going through one of the highest level adventures to record my play through of it, and what immediately hit me was just HOW FREAKIN DEEP this game gets in the higher levels. But not only that. The really great thing is that it was just as easy for me to play Wozarg's 19th level characters as it was playing my level 1/2 characters from a standpoint of the intuitiveness of the game and the mechanics, even given the immense jump in depth and variety of actions that are at your disposal. The only issues I had was familiarizing myself with all the new cards as they came up, but even that was an enjoyable journey of discovery.

This game is truly the real deal. <---ha, unintended card related pun!

6. Y-aji

Y-aji Kobold

I have found the game very addicting already.

The Jump from level 1 missions to level 2 could put some people uncomfortable with losing off, especially "Lair of the Trog Wizard".

Their ability to free move makes the mission a bit hard to navigate. Level 3 missions seemed like they were nothing after level 2. It wasn't impossible, but there was a learning curve. I hard a really hard time cornering those fellas. After 7 or 8 retries and a second level run, I managed to get them, though.

Also, the reset times are pretty slow. It looks as though the levels reset every 12 hours? Is that about right? I think unlocking them slowly over 12 hours would be fine, but I basically had to leave the game for a full day before I could jump back in.

7. Scyrax

Scyrax Mushroom Warrior

If I recall correctly, the dungeons reset at a particular time (sorry, I don't know when exactly) once per day.

8. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

between 7 and 8 gmt +1 one

9. Y-aji

Y-aji Kobold

Ahh, that makes sense.. well and i figure after a few days, you basically have an infinity of levels to grind, but day 1, you end and are like "dawwww!" Haha, that may not be a bad thing, though.

10. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

You cant gain exp from adventures 3 levels under you so it doesn't work by just grinding but yes it does help to have 2x -1 and 2x -2 that is 12 exp you can get if you are a bit stuck each day

11. TheRev

TheRev Orc Soldier

Ya know a thread about what you use to clear the low level dungeons (For the daily rewards etc) might be helpful. For example what teams/Equipment you use and why. Just a random thought as I see ya talking about the merits of the classes and the equipment etc..

But personally I learned a lot from the Trogs. I actually equiped my fighter after them in some small degree..

Light Spear x2
    Shiny Knife
    Welk's Helm
    Cowards Shield
    Soft Boots
    Spiked Mail
    Untrained Battledancing

I use this on an Elf Fighter, and it gives me a nice bit of mobility to stay out the way of anything that has to get within one range of hitting me. It even works against those two range guys if you can out hit them, or mages as they try to run away and you can just catch them (Or keep in range if they are just using Zap's). The Untrained Battledancing is kinda optional but Quick Step is an awesome thing. Note Armor/Blocks will be tough to deal with, but if they can't hit you... sooner or later you will get past it, or you can use others to deal with it.

12. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

For me when i farm the lvl 1-5 missions its just as many of the 5 damage cleave attacks as humanly possible cardraw and damage buffs on the cleric and big zaap in every slot on the wizard works fast and consistently

13. TheRev

TheRev Orc Soldier

I have just started to play around with Demonic Feedback and Unholy Power, and though they give more then one card they don't trigger the Altruism and they do damage so I am not sure if I am going to keep using them. Oh and be very careful with Unholy Exchange it is better used as an attack card then one to help get more cards it seems heh.

14. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Demonic feedback is definetly worth it just consider it a guaranteed 2for1 at a cost instead of the 1for1 possible 2for1 with alturism

Also mass frenzy is crazy good for this but you cant use it before the lvl 5 adventures i think

15. TheRev

TheRev Orc Soldier

You might want to check out the Unholy Power then, it does the same thing but for 4 less damage. It is way easier to block 1 damage then 5. I just think 5 damage for 2 cards is a bit much, and if your low it just turns into a dead card, while Inspiration is always good (Any maybe Unholy Power since its the target that takes the damage)

Also yea, the lowest gear I have with Mass Frenzy is lvl 11... that isn't the lowest most likely, but that is the lowest gear I have that has it.

I am just curious how far people are into the quests? I just beat The Tomb of Tvericus, man that was tough, and it is just going to get harder lol

16. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

We may want to move some of these conversations into the tips-and-strategies threads (or start a new one per adventure) as people looking to post their first impressions may either interrupt a conversation or be intimidated enough not to post.

Personally I find it really fascinating so having a central place to read these would be awesome.

17. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Apologizes profusely for the derailing of the 10 am train to first impressions

18. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Pfft, no need to apologize!

19. Sir Knight

Yes, I realized too late that we already have one, and we could have just moved over there at any time.

20. TheRev

TheRev Orc Soldier

Re posted the same question over there.. My bad. =)

Btw, I am still curious to hear what people will answer, newer player or not, as there are so many options. So feel free to pop on over to the link Sir Knight gave =)