First impressions thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jon, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yep, we've still got work to do on the audio.

2. Jon

These numbers are completely placeholder!

3. eCNO

eCNO Kobold

Will definitely update as I progress through the game but I just opened it up tonight for the first time and I have to say I am very impressed. The art style of the game is mesmerizing! It's what brought me to the game in the first place and will definitely not become an eyesore any time soon. So far I am really loving the tabletop card game love-child you guys have created! The concept of equipping items to change your deck is laughably commendable. The speed of the game feels great and I'm glad you guys took the executive decision to cut out any and all slow battle animations and/or dice rolls.

This is my earliest impression and it's all full of positivity. I've yet to unlock PvP but I can't wait to test my meddle against other players! I will return with perhaps constructive criticism when I've gotten far enough to develop some.

Cheers! Great game!

[EDIT]
    So I've discovered the Multiplayer button. Haven't played yet but I must correct my previous comment about how I've not yet unlocked PvP. I did not know it was there.

I find it difficult to decide on whether or not I want to say the game is "too hard"... It almost feels like I want to say the game is "too random" instead, at least at the beginning when you have too many cards to build a counter-deck. I imagine it's difficult to balance a game when a lot of the decision are based on 50% random factors. This seems like a very hardcore element to be so very present so early in the game. It is a little discouraging for a new player to feel like he is losing because of a random value. On top of that the first Level 2 "free pick" area are these "trog" enemies can attack from two spaces away. That combined with their armor cards (which I seem to fail throw 90% of the time) AND some special card that allows them to move multiple units in one turn (???) makes me feel like even when I am trying to strategize, the game is just punishing me and laughing at me for trying. :(

4. Brian Leybourne

Brian Leybourne Mushroom Warrior

Ah, ok, cool. No worries, I wasn't stressed about the numbers, just reporting them as stated. Can you tell me if there'll be any option other than Paypal in the final release though? I really really don't want to have to set up a paypal account (my wife got screwed by PP, and not in a good way).

5. Brian Leybourne

I thought the same thing, but actually, once you push on past the Trog adventure (which took me way too many tries to get past) the next few are easier. I think the Trog adventure needs some tweaking (or just needs to be marked as a slightly higher level). You're right - it's their extreme mobility combined with their ranged melee attack. Although it doesn't help that my Fighter is a Dwarf, so he usually only has a low value movement card (and I haven't found any decent boots, they either give a 3-2-1 (instead of the 2-2-2 default, which is no better) or they give 1 movement and 2 armor cards, which isn't that good a deal in this game - you really do need to get more than just the default movement card as often as possible.

One thing that would have helped me with the Trog adventure is I found a sword which had a bunch of attack cards with a special feature called, uh, I forget the name, "Spring"? I think? ANyway, it lets you move X squares before your attack, so you get to move into melee range with enemies like the trogs who keep staying a square out of your range. Sadly, I can't equip it yet because it requires a talent.

6. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

The "multiple units" thing was (if I recall) supposed to be explained by Gary in his tutorial. "Minion" groups, like a whole horde of kobolds or troglodytes, follow different rules:

They all have one deck together.

Their number of draws per turn depends on the number left alive.

Each minion may only do one "action" (usually an attack) per round, and a minion shows grayed out once it has done so.

And, as you saw, when a minion plays a move card, ALL minions in the mob can use it.

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

With the exception of the various charge skills which are used as move cards but not shared between the group. So only one guy does the charge but he may use it while grey.

8. Jon

We'd certainly like to add more payment options.

Zalminen likes this.
  9. Dorque

Dorque Orc Soldier

First thought is that the idea of attaching cards to inventory items is effing brilliant. So the point of the game is a hit for me. The first level or two is almost unbearably slow though. You have a hand of hit-2 and hit-3. Wow. None of the coolness is shown to the player from the start. I persisted because it is a Beta's job, and it wasn't until level 4 that I really felt I needed to constantly play because it was just that awesome. The 2-good-1-bad power equipment is an amazing idea, specifically.

I think the first level should be more scripted and more powerful. Say the player is given two fifth level adventurers. You tell them what card to play and where, and give them some push powers, some move-hits, and some other easy cool power. Then at the end of the fight, a 2x2 dragon lands and kills them horribly. Then go to the tavern and say "who do you want to be?" At that point, I'll see my wuss start cards and go "I need to level up to be bad ass" then later go "whoa, I'm even badder asser than I was in the tutorial". Instead of "Man, this game is boring and has boring cards and I'm bored."

Also, forcing one of each class is lame. Let me pick from male-female from each class. Could even have two variations of each class simply by giving each one a different start card (attached to the Class Skill slot as a one card default).

On to smaller things:
    The black cards that give you a Keep curse, am I supposed to be allowed to discard them? I just end a turn with three cards and get rid of it. Should it be an attachment? Should their be a curse slot separate from your two card hand? Should they be no-discard but not count as one of the two in the hand?

The cleric is lame. Having a second fighter is way better, because instead of heal you have attack. Dead monsters don't attack back (or draw cards). Healing needs to be equal to damage coming in to even be an okay idea. Opportunity cost.

Try to give the fighter a single move-attack card from the start just so I know it exists. It is hella frustrating to not be able to charge and just have the monsters dance back every turn. But if I knew I'd eventually have daggers and lunges, I'd be cool with it. Even a Step 1 Damage 1 on blank boots would do it.

Give me the keep sooner. At the very start, there is a point where I can't get to my inventory. (I think it was right after hiring a guy, you told me to go to a dungeon. I had stuff for him.)

Should armor maybe reduce the damage to a minimum of 1? Fighting the boss golem, and he drew double Sink 4. Omg, that was the dullest fight ever. Let Block cancel all damage, but Armor lets you at least plink.

I can't tell what way my dwarf warrior is facing. His hair looks like his beard.

Oh hey, and why can't I control my facing? That really blows. Click-hold, and drag for facing. Or click-click like shooting Fire Spray is fine too.

TWENTY DOLLARS for the first unlock dungeon? Hell. No. My god, man. Download any other game and get a wee bit of perspective.

Final verdict: I love you.

10. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Valid points Dorque, but I'd say the twenty dollar dungeon is guaranteed to change - these prizes are very beta placeholder, as has been stated by Jon on several occasions. So that's at least one less thing you'd likely have to worry about.

Facing is a part of movement, so that's why you can't control it - it's supposed to be important how you chose to face, to allow you/your opponent to attack from the back et c. Also, there are card that changes your opponents facing involuntarily et c.

(unless you mean you can't pick facing on move - then I'm stumped, as a Non-Beta Individual :p )

11. Brian Leybourne

When you move, you get an indication of the squares you can move to, and what direction you'll be facing if you stop on that square, but that's it. I think that if I move 2 with a card that lets me move 3, I should be able to use the 1 unused part of movement to change my facing. Instead, you can only change your facing by using a whole move card and targeting the square you're already in, then you get an option to set your facing to whatever you want.

12. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Well, then the facing issue certainly sounds like a valid complaint, I'd have to say - can't see no reason why facing couldn't be set with a surplus movement point, just like you suggested Brian.

13. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

Because this ain't X-Com!!! J/K, lol. But yeah, I'm sure there is a good game balance and tactical reason to have it the way they have it.

14. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Actually the game started with choosing your facing at the end of every move, but you couldn't turn when you used any other card. Since they added auto-facing you can now turn around and attack someone on your backside without spending a move card first and thus it's much less hassle to line up your attacks. But since its an important strategy to get around Blocks by attacking from the rear, there has to be a trade-off that increases the possibility of catching an opponent lined up wrong.

15. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

I like how they have it now, where you just click on where you want to move to and facing is already calculated. One more great innovation for this game.

16. Jon

You're right: we need to make the tutorial a more exciting. It's always tough though as some people already find that it introduces new concepts too quickly to keep up with.

17. Jon

It's not going to be anything $20 to unlock an adventure, that I can promise you.

18. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow. Every RPG I've ever played starts you off slowly, just to get you into the swing of it and in this case how all of the card types work.

No one is forcing you to do this, I think. You can build your party from any combination of race, gender and class. The tutorial takes you through the three classes just to show you the differences.

Drawback cards that stay in your hand, such as Arcane Feedback can be discarded just as you describe.

You can use the Cleric as fighter #2 depending on how you stack your deck. There's also many ways to use the Cleric to attack at range, see Bad Medicine or Misguided Heal for example.

That's the point. It is frustrating to learn how to do things - that Trog Cave took me just this side of forever to beat. When I did, I thought it was an achievement earned, rather than something given to me.

Didn't you get the screen that allows you to equip before entering? I might be mis-remembering if you're talking about the tutorial.

Armour reduces damage on a certain roll of the dice, it isn't invulnerable. There are specific cards that ignore armour, for example. High damage will bleed through armour, etc.

He's holding an Axe behind his head... but you can hover over the figure to see the facing zones - light green in front, dark green behind.

The pathing for movement shows you where you end up. This may not be optimal for your current attack. There are cards that allow for change of facing. You can use a movement card like Shuffle to change facing and you can use the STEP x mechanic to make a move even if there's no target to hit.

Those are placeholder numbers and during Beta you get free Pizza. In the real game we'll see what's what.

Thanks, man, you're not so bad yourself. ;)

19. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Not only do we know beta prices are completely placeholder we also have your word that its not going to be $20 ... and then there is the fact that he is somehow confused since 20 pizza in the beta with the placeholder price is still $11 not 20

20. Dorque

Dorque Orc Soldier

"Every RPG I've ever played starts you off slowly, just to get you into the swing of it and in this case how all of the card types work."
    I'm referring here to all the RPGs that start you off at fake full strength so you can see what whoopass is. An intro fight that ends with a forced loss and you wake up with no memory or it was just a dream or it was your parents fighting, etc.

"That's the point. It is frustrating to learn how to do things - that Trog Cave took me just this side of forever to beat. When I did, I thought it was an achievement earned, rather than something given to me."
    I totally dig the learning/power curve. It's just the perception that I will be forever frustrated because your game doesn't have bows. Goes along with the underpowered intro. At least have "Look at these other weapons" when the tutorial mentions the store. "There are area effect spells, powers that move as well as attack, and one that shoots lightning from your arse!" A person won't have read the wiki or even the manual to know what is possible.

One new thing, first impressionly:
    The races don't feel different enough. It's just a move point here and a hit point there, and the promise in the description that eventually it will be really cool. If I hadn't seen it in a screen shot I would not have known that eventually I'll get a "Dwarf Power" equipment slot. To have the opening race choice be cool from the start I think that slot should be open at first level. Its default powers are Dwarfy, but not powerful. "Beer Break (Trait): Heal 1 self". Actually, they wouldn't have to do anything to still be Dwarfy "Mighty Belch (Trait): Let one rip and get back to the fight". Actually actually, just putting the Dwarf Power slot there with zero powers would be enough for me to know "Oh, that description text means that I'll get new dwarf cards in that slot".

This thread is a brilliant idea. I know how hard it can be years in to a game to be able to step back and see what a new player will see.