First impressions thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jon, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

First impression feedback, second day (so not really first impressions).

Game is hard, especially if you don't have a huge pool of item loadouts. Myself, I like this - but the game is anything but casual. Retrying missions is not "failure" as we've been taught in games these last few years rather than something that is expected, and a learning experience - also makes content last longer. To me, as an old school gamer, it sets my gaming heart aflutter! However, this may not sit well with the new school of gamers that's evolved over these last 10 years - or maybe they need to be eased into it? I suggest adding hints/tips for every battle fail screen (where you go back to your loadout) - like having Gary feel bad for you and making suggestions what kind of items could be useful ("Mages with sprays could be very useful here as there are plenty of enemies").

Also, item having a lvl doesn't make logical sense to a player - as they probably expect to not be able to use an item with higher level than themselves, I agree that not having an item level makes it more difficult to gage how good it might be. Suggestion would be to change Level to Tier, Rank or Power when it comes to items, to avoid this confusion with player levels.

Dorque likes this.
  2. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

"Grade" is another suggestion for renaming item levels.

3. elinnar

elinnar Kobold

My first impressions after getting my key yesterday

It's an really interresting concept building a deck with items on characters and there are alot of interessting cards.
    The Tutorial so far (Lev4) is good and helps to get into the game at "Tunnels into Darkness" (the last part where you face 1 shaman, 2 warriors and one of those pigs) I belive I hit a sudden kinda unexpectet shot up in dificullty.
    Armor cards currently feel a bit annoying exspecialy the Golems at "The Wizard's Workshop" which could have up to 3 Armor 4,keep Cards at the same time.
    Two bits which still aren't completly clear to me are at which point i'am able to replay an adventure, currently all are (still) exhausted and the item requirements at Kyburz Market.

Otherwise I didn't encounter any bugs so far and the game ran pretty stable.

4. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Orc Soldier

Adventures refresh at about 5am est, I believe.

5. barbalatte

barbalatte Mushroom Warrior

My first impression is that the game is great :) the most negative thing is that the loot is very hard to keep track of. I rarely sell stuff cause its too much work, even the fish barrels.

6. Giygas

Giygas Kobold

This game is brutal, but I love it! I like how I'm kind of discovering things here and there as I play. I'm pretty sure some stuff was covered in the tutorial, like using a move card to face a new direction or mousing over enemies to see what squares they can attack. I think I've spent one night not even beating a dungeon, trying for hours, ripping my hair out, but eventually beating it the next day (after some long thought out strategy and scouring the forums for info!) and having the urge to scream out, "YESSSS!!!!" til' my lungs give out.

I liked/hated finding out that slimes have a card that negates crush damage, which is nice because it teaches you that there is no one strategy. There was a time where I spent 20 minutes running away from a slime and suddenly realizing all my attack cards were crushing damage :mad:...

I wish I could scroll through the inventory menu, instead of having to click and drag or just click. I've tried it on two different computers and scrolling doesn't work which is a little annoying.

I'm not really sure what the time frame of the dungeons resetting is though. Not sure if that was mention in-game or not.

All in all, the game is very challenging, fun, and awesome!

7. Piratecat

Piratecat Blue Manchu

I believe dungeons reset after 24 hours.

8. Ryuuji

Ryuuji Orc Soldier

Isnt it at a fixed server time ?

9. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Adventures reset at 0 hours GMT currently. That's almost certainly going to change though.

10. Nicole

Nicole Kobold

I have to say that I love this game. Some adventures are difficult, some are very difficult and some are so easy, I wondered why I even equipped anything to beat them.

I like that you can't just use the same equipment set and tactics to beat each one.

Things I don't mind:

Better gear for monsters
    Being outnumbered (but some of this should be scaled down a bit... don't like the 20 vs 3 scenarios)

Things I do mind:

Infinite action points for some of the bosses, especially when they hit for 10+ and draw a ton of cards or where all the attacks are long range
    Acorn Barrage is also stupid. Goes across the board and bursts 2. It's virtually impossible to get cover from and hits for so much damage

11. New beta tester reporting? No bugs noted yet, very early in. Let me know the right way to give feedback!

Game has a great feel, just as expected from the buzz. Gary's voice is annoying but perhaps that's intentional.

Initially as I make equipment picks I worry that I should keep slots unequipped to avoid 'diluting' a character deck with less quality gear.

It would be nice to be able to cancel movement cards after they are spent but before the destination is clicked (as I am sometimes trapped by difficult terrain/enemies and the move goes to waste).

As I go through the tutorial I notice that the goblin priest in the Tunnels sometimes uses the Frenzy spell on 1 HP minions to kill them.

Also, would be cool to be able to scroll through the game log at the upper left after the Adventure Complete logo (or be able to access a log or replay to see it again in quick motion).

Having a blast!

12. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

But are you still worried? Because, as you may have figured out, it's impossible to "dilute": empty slots bring cards with them automatically.
    Have you noticed the destination highlight (when hovering the mouse over the card) that tells you whether you are trapped?

13. Scyrax

Scyrax Mushroom Warrior

I've been reading this (and pretty much all the other) beta threads since it started. As such, I apologize that this isn't the ideal first impression post. With that out of the way...

The game, so far, is an absolute blast to play. The game kept me at the edge of my seat with every click.
    "What will my hands look like this time?"
    "I really hope Gary passes."
    "I really hope Gary doesn't pass."
    "I wonder if that smelly trogg still has a stab." (He does.)
    "I hope that stupid goblin is out of blocks!" (He isn't)
    "Oooo chest! Reveal unto me your shiny lewt!"
    "Oooo lewt! Reveal unto me your shiny abilities!"

Which eventually lead to:

"Hmmm... It's three in the morning - I need to be in class in five hours."

I will note the game would be better served by some additional inventory sorting utility and some sort of preventative measure taken against leaving loot in a chest (pop-up window warning?). I read about people doing that. I read about people reading about people doing that and still doing that. I still did that. (Though the second occurrence should be much less likely.)

All-in-all though - this game has the potential to be one of my all time favourites - brilliantly combining three of my greatest loves (RPGs, card games and lewt).

PS Gary is awesome.

PPS The only bug I've encountered so far was one mentioned long ago that I figured you were well aware of (and aware of the cause.) I purposefully named my elf warrior Î not so much to see if she would sometimes be referred to as a blank string (as I was expecting) but to see if in doing so - that would break the game in a different and unexpected way. (So far that does not seem to be the case.)

14. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

You can see the game log (ish) by using the console, call it up using F1, then F1 again shows you the full log.

15. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Orc Soldier

Change to what? A set amount of time for each user after they complete it? Also, I want to repeat a feature request that I posted in another topic, as it is relevant to this very question. Could you think of putting something in the game that we can buy that will allow us to unlimitedly play and replay all normal adventures without having to wait for any refresh? You could call it the "Dungeon Romper Pass" or something like that. If you charged the right amount, the money you made from the passes could cover the extra bandwidth you would need to have those people on more. At least that's my theory, lol.

I'm assuming that bandwidth issues are what are behind having to wait to replay adventures.

16. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I would like to take this opportunity and repeat my past suggestion to solve the "I forgot to loot" problem and the "players will whine that they just wanna sell items, not loot them" problem simultaneously. Namely, changing the code so that items left in the chest prompt a pop-up saying "Sell the remaining X items in the chest? Value: Y Gold."

Korisi and Scyrax like this.
  17. Azrael

Azrael Kobold

Played the game for a bit.
    Got hit by the "just one more adventure" bug.
    Now it's 3am in the morning, guess I'll need to sleep now.

Some minor whining though, when Gary is in a dialog, sometimes I don't realize that there is a dialog.
    Could just be me. But if the section with Gary's dialog can have a bit of glittery/shining/hovering animation, might be useful to grab the players attention off the main map, and onto the dialog strip/section.
    Or maybe tag it with a higher opacity mask when you have an active dialog.

Edit: To add on, it's a little slow when Gary decides to discard cards. It's also slow when I select cards to be discarded. Not sure what wrong.

Just IMHO.

Cheers!

18. Piratecat

Piratecat Blue Manchu

Do you find this is also true when there's a "You must play a trait" message? It's probably my monitor, but I never seem to see those until I've been trying to click cards that won't play for some reason. :)

19. Azrael

Azrael Kobold

I've yet to use a trait card. Just hit level 3 for each for my characters, and traits give a penalty (at least for the cards that I've seen), so I generally avoid using/buying them. Will be interesting to see when I get access to more variety of cards down the road. :D