Firestorm Campaign Farming :)

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Haxzploid, Oct 3, 2013.

1. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

When you say you're farming the campaign, do you mean you're reclearing levels, for no quest reward, just for the commons/uncommons and the hope of higher quality?

2. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Funny, since I'd call CH a PvP game which happens to have an awesomely designed campaign. Opinions are situational too i guess ;)

3. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

Not opinion. The Closed Beta started with no PvP at all from what I have read. Players mentioned that PvP would be nice and shouldn't take much effort, so it was added in.

4. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

The order of construction of the game is pretty irrelevant. And people will see the game differently depending on how they play it. Single player can be a means to get to get MP gear, or it can be the whole game for you. Those that don't care about MP will see SP as the game. Those who care about MP will see SP as feeding them gear for MP. Both are valid perspectives.

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

That's a surprising opinion, since I suspect most players don't like MP and only go there because it's the easiest way to get rare+ items.

6. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

I don't see how that's inconsistent with what I said?

7. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Another reason it sounds reasonable in PvP is that there's simply the same amount of targets. Your party, and your opponent's. If you get it out on turn 1 in some of the monkey battles, you can expect the damage tradeoff (even without any armor) to be 18 damage total to you, and 60 to the enemy party. That's a great trade. However, in PvP I can't imagine turn 1 firestorm being anything more than a crapshot that hurts everyone evenly. I can see saving it until you have some armor up to draw out your opponent's blocks or something, but reliable use in the early game?

Edit: WTH? I didn't even see this thread had a second page. Guess I'm a little late to the direction this is going in...

8. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

Nah, it is good to get back on track Aldones. The PvP vs SP will quickly devolve to discussions about nerfs which happen "for the sake of PvP balance" which destroy the feel of SP missions.

So yes... Firestorm is readily available, but the only way to imbalance it in PvP is to majorly stack yourself against magic damage with either wizards carrying Resistant Hide, or Priests/Warriors stacking Shimmering Armor. This lets you not hurt yourself, but leaves you WIDE open to destruction by a warrior enemy team. Reliable Mail on your guys does decently to make it a winning trade without leaving you open to the enemy, but in both cases you are talking about so many items across all characters that it isn't a turn 1 issue which would discourage the opponent.

9. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I also recently got one of these Trembling staff things. For farming lower level dungeons, this seems like a nice complementary item. If you're using a staff of the inferno then you're already going to be really combustible anyway, so this just makes three more of your cards a trait, which means more playable cards of the kinds you want. There are a few kobold dungeons in particular where the hallways railroad them nicely into long, straight trains that can get absolutely plowed by a linear AoE.
    I suppose this also would be a great 1 HP quest weapon, since who cares if you're vulnerable at that point?

10. Andrew Talbot

Andrew Talbot Mushroom Warrior

I think he meant that you giving equal weight to both sides is the surprising bit. He feels that a majority of the players only go to MP for the chests and that undue weight/importance is on that side compared to what the majority want.

Can't say I really blame him either. I'm having much more fun going back through missions with a new party than I did playing in MP. However the treasure value count has been horridly in favor of the MP to date for the short stretch I did. :I

11. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

I love Trembling Staff, makes it so much easier to draw my Resistant Hide.

12. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Really? It improves your odds, but only slightly. You can only have a single resistant hide in your deck, or 1 in 36 cards. Gaining 2 cards a turn ( and assuming you get 2 cards to begin with) it can still take as much as 17 turns to draw Resistant Hide.

Adding in 3 traits, or 6 if you have 2 Trembling Staffs only improves these numbers slightly. Let's assume you have 2 staffs, so your deck now has 6 additional traits, making it function like a 30 card deck. You still could take as many as 14 turns to draw your resistant hide. As you can see a slight improvement, but not a huge difference.

13. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

On it's own it isn't a huge increase but it is probably the best 0 cost staff for the job. Combine it with other trait heavy cards and extra draws and it can make a lot of difference. (also I kind of just wanted to bring this thread back on topic)

14. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

If they unlock the second staff slot at lvl 7, you could trim down the card draw by another 3 if you stay there and forget about the other arcane item slot.
    Or you could just stay lvl 1 and stick with something like ochre robes. I swear some of my best farming was done during the low level quests where I wasn't gaining experience...
    The card draw argument might make more sense if we were talking about doing the campaign for your very first time, or PvP, but in the case of just making a plan for the most efficient low level adventure farming, you're not going to be too bothered if the hide isn't in your hand immediately. It's fine if you can just settle for frequently.
    Edit: I guess lvl 4 would be the sweet spot?