Firestorm Campaign Farming :)

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Haxzploid, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Farming the campaign using Firestorm+Volcano is pretty efficient. Many of the games end in turn 1-3, sometimes i do run into mobs with lots of armor, these games take a bit longer. Pro-tip, Rapid click screen to bypass the firestorm damage+burning effects. (time efficient)

Notice this is the end of turn 1. (Before they take damage from Firestorm burn/Volcano)

[​IMG]

Have any of you found interesting ways of farming apart from the "all around spec"?

2. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

Unrelated: How did you zoom out?
    Related: Wouldn't 3 mages be faster?

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

He just runs it at a high resolution, I'm guessing?

Also, another guess - as to setup. Priests as Card draw engine for wizard? 3x Wiz requires 3x the amount of firestorm items available.

4. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Yeah the priests are there for that reason. Just need more of those blasted divine items with inspiration on them. :)

5. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

nice, firestorm seems to be very popular now both SP in MP, wish I had more luck with loot :( nothing seems to synergise well from what I got thus far to call it a proper 'deck'

6. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

I have plenty of items that have Firestorm, but none that have Volcano. How rare is that spell to get?

7. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

4 Staffs and I 1 arcane item - which all are epic or legendary. So apparently pretty rare!

8. Sam Jones

Sam Jones Mushroom Warrior

I had no idea how lucky I was to grab volcano. It was the 'group' drop for one of the treasure hunt quests (the first geomancers one, I think). The AI is a little wise to it and starts passing with an extra move card in its deck. 'Unholy power' and 'demonic feedback' seem like even better cards for your setup, it seems to me, since you don't have to last too long.

9. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

My variation on this style involves filling my priest up with Oak roots. It ain't perfect, but there's something satisfying about locking those buggers down in their lava puddle, when every one of them seems to always hang onto a scuttle for just such an occasion.
    I realize frost effects make more efficient sense in a lot of cases, but that's not always an option at lower levels, or if you've only got one wizard and you don't want them pulling double duty.

10. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Well, technically the AI just does random passes every now and then anyway.
    It is meant to make the enemies a little more unpredictable but the AI isn't actually smart enough to start passing more often because the player has used a lava card before...

11. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Yeah, my favorite was when the dragon randomly passed early in a round while standing in a wall of fire. I figured he had no move left, so I zapped him with a potent spark. He then flew to my mage, ate her, and then burped in my face.

12. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I've got a huge number of items, but none of them have Volcano and only one has Firestorm (and that's a (minortoken) arcane item) . Too bad for me I guess. Nevertheless, I'm still able to clear a lot of the low level maps on the first or second round.

My low-level strategy basically consists of having a warrior packed to the gills with step-attacks, a priest packed with various frenzy cards, and a wizard with various cards to deal with troublesome opponents. It works well, but I'm sure there are a bunch of maps where a Firestorm build would be far superior though. (The kobold maps come to mind...)

13. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

So, today I learned that if you use these things on flying monkeys, they'll do your work for you because of all the Duck they're always packing. I've never seen so much AoE in one round. :p

Aiven likes this.
  14. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

Nice. Do you found anything to be at least problematic with the firestorm? Or are there no counters for it?

15. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

For me Firestorm and Whirlwind Enemies are just a bit too cheesy.

16. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

By that point in the campaign, you've got a pretty nice HP total, and reasonable armor, so surviving a first round firestorm party seems pretty likely. What I didn't expect from the experience was that only the monkey who ducks escapes the attack, and they seem compelled to throw it back at you if they can since they start out at a large range and don't have anything else they can throw at you yet. This means you can expect all his minion friends to take damage, and that he will also immediately fry them for you a second time. I kind of shudder to think of what would happen if I also played an all dwarf party with at least a couple ducks in each of their decks as well. You could just keep passing the AoE back and forth to each other until the only survivor is whoever had a Resistant Hide in their hand.
    By the end of my first round against them, everyone on the map was pretty much reduced to 8 HP.
    Basically, I'm saying I didn't really see any downside to using it on the monkey maps. It's the best self-destructive behavior I've seen a monster have in a long time. But that's great gaming, since it's a great feeling to stick it to those annoying monkeys and their monkey see monkey do obnoxiousness. I kind of want to see if I can get them to pickpocket firestorm from me too, since it doesn't matter to me much if I use it on my turn, or they use it for me on their turn.

17. Sam Jones

I suppose anything that lets you farm levels super fast smells of exploit. Once, I used it in the third fight in 'Against the Cockroaches', and none of them drew 'Resistant Hide' (the odds of my getting firestorm before they get any of those are probably 8:1 against). Sometimes, I use it to wind up a winning battle more quickly or get an edge in games where I'm badly outnumbered.

I wonder how you'd nerf it if you had a mind to. You could change it to hit everything in your line of sight. That'd be partly a buff because you could get your own characters out of the firestorm. You could cut its damage. I don't know.

Is firestorm effective in PVP? I've played only a tiny bit of PVP, and it was before I got my hands on it.

18. Eusix

Eusix Orc Soldier

It certainly can be used in PvP. I had a firestorm team going for a bit (mostly because it amused me) and it was somewhat effective.
    It's (relatively) low damage though, and the fact that it hurts your team as well makes it fairly balanced (imo).
    Anyone with armor (let alone resistant hide) will find themselves alive and well even after a few firestorms.

Exploit? I dunno, certainly useful, but as most things in this game, also situational.

19. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

Being able to clear a level fast just means you have the mechanics down and have good gear. It isn't a problem. I mean in the second (?) of the cockroaches module, if you get Whirlwind on turn 1 you also gimp the encounter by moving the immobile boss off his victory tile.

Fast farming solo levels is not an issue. You can only do them each once a day. This is not a PvP game, it is a game that happens to contain PvP as an option.

20. Sam Jones

Good points, Xienwolf. I might have spent too much time in MMOs.

It's interesting that you mention roaches two. I won that by drawing volcano in the first round. I wasn't lucky for all of it. I lost round two once and three twice.